Best 8GB DDR4 21333Mhz 288pin SDRAM

Go to solution Solved by iRileyx,
Just now, sna2295 said:

Thanks mate..

I'll now put forward a query to asus technical team with the screenshot of their official website where its mentioned SO-DIMM and ask why a 288-pin DDR4 SDRAM has been suggested to me till now.  

Yeah, should probably mention it to them :P cause someone got it wrong somewhere, but from the looks of it, he got it mixed up and told you the wrong info for it.

I own ASUS Vivobook X556UR which has skylake intel core i5-6200U processor 4GB DDR4 soldered SDRAM(2133MHz).

It only supports DDR4 SDRAM only with expandable capability upto a maximum of 8GB.

As per my correspondence with ASUS technical support, this laptop supports 2133Mhz 288-pin DDR4 SDRAM. I found it strange that a 288-pin type of SDRAM has been coupled with a laptop.

I have shortlisted three 8GB DDR4 SDRAM models:

1)Kingston HyperX Fury Black Series 2133 MHz DDR4 CL14 288 Pin-DIMM Memory - HX421C14FB/8

(https://www.amazon.com/Kingston-Technology-HyperX-Internal-HX421C14FB2/dp/B01D8U27YU/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1480413257&sr=8-2&keywords=HX421C14FB%2F8)

2)Crucial 8 GB DDR4 2133 UDIMM Unbuffered DIMM 288-Pin Desktop Memory (CT8G4DFD8213)

(https://www.amazon.com/Crucial-Unbuffered-288-Pin-Desktop-CT8G4DFD8213/dp/B00MMLUYVU?th=1)

3)CORSAIR ValueSelect 8GB 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2133 (PC4 17000) Desktop Memory Model CMV8GX4M1A2133C15

(http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233771)

Please suggest me which one to buy from the above DDR4 SDRAM models.

ASUS technical support.jpg

You can't use regular DIMMs for a laptop, you need to use SODIMM's as they're smaller and will fit.

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

5 minutes ago, RKRiley said:

You can't use regular DIMMs for a laptop, you need to use SODIMM's as they're smaller and will fit.

I know but even after multiple queries they clarified that this laptop supports only 288-pin DDR4 DIMMs.

It will be great if you atleast suggest me a good DDR4 288-pin 2133MHz SDRAM irrespective of the type of DIMMs. 

6 minutes ago, RKRiley said:

Also something interesting to pay attention is to know if the laptop has or not free memory slot, I recall buying a cheap college Asus that on the website listed as having 2 memory slots, so I gave a research to buy a second matching stick for it (it was so cheap it only came with 2gb ram 1666mhz) and adding another 2gb stick (those are so cheap anyways) on the second slot seemed worthy to do since nowadays 4gb ram feels like the minimum required.

Lucky enough when I opened the laptop I saw that it only had 1 memory slot after all... very disappointing, wasn't willing to go with a 4gb stick and toss the original one away so I end up not buying anything.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

8 minutes ago, sna2295 said:

I know but even after multiple queries they clarified that this laptop supports only 288-pin DDR4 DIMMs.

It will be great if you atleast suggest me a good DDR4 288-pin 2133MHz SDRAM irrespective of the type of DIMMs. 

Then they need to fire him and get someone who knows what they're talking about. Even going on the kingston and Corsair sites, they only list SODIMM as being compatible with that notebook.

Even the specs on their website states it uses SO-DIMM. https://www.asus.com/Notebooks/ASUS-Vivobook-X556UR/specifications/

As for which are good, Corsair and Kingston generally make good ram, i believe Ballistix do also.

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

14 minutes ago, RKRiley said:

Then they need to fire him and get someone who knows what they're talking about. Even going on the kingston and Corsair sites, they only list SODIMM as being compatible with that notebook.

Even the specs on their website states it uses SO-DIMM. https://www.asus.com/Notebooks/ASUS-Vivobook-X556UR/specifications/

As for which are good, Corsair and Kingston generally make good ram, i believe Ballistix do also.

Thanks mate..

I'll now put forward a query to asus technical team with the screenshot of their official website where its mentioned SO-DIMM and ask why a 288-pin DDR4 SDRAM has been suggested to me till now.  

Just now, sna2295 said:

Thanks mate..

Yeah, should probably mention it to them :P cause someone got it wrong somewhere, but from the looks of it, he got it mixed up and told you the wrong info for it.

23 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

Also something interesting to pay attention is to know if the laptop has or not free memory slot, I recall buying a cheap college Asus that on the website listed as having 2 memory slots, so I gave a research to buy a second matching stick for it (it was so cheap it only came with 2gb ram 1666mhz) and adding another 2gb stick (those are so cheap anyways) on the second slot seemed worthy to do since nowadays 4gb ram feels like the minimum required.

Lucky enough when I opened the laptop I saw that it only had 1 memory slot after all... very disappointing, wasn't willing to go with a 4gb stick and toss the original one away so I end up not buying anything.

Asus has started this trend of keeping only one slot available for RAM expansion and the default RAM soldered with the motherboard. Its really irritating