5820k 4ghz@1.07v - opinions

Hello dream team,

I'm new around and i believe this is my first post, but I was watching the forums for a while now.

Well, let's get to the point.

Am kinda new to oc, and wanted to boost up my 5820k to 4ghz, as I only have a 212 evo on it.

Setup:

• hyper 121 evo
  • asus x-99-a
  • 16gb ddr4 hyperx fury black @ 2133
  • gtx 1070 asus strix oc.
  • nzxt h440
  • super flower golden green SF-650P14XE(GX) 650W

I'm currently at 4ghz with 1.07v and adaptive mode on. Did the AIDA system stability test for around 4 hours yesterday and it seems everything is ok, no crashes, no bsod. I've oc on manual mode, setting the multiplier at 40 and starting down from 1.1v. 

I did not go further down from 1.07v but maybe I'll try and see what happens. 

Can you please share some thoughts on the print-screens attached? The first one is at room temp and the second one is after approx 20 minutes of aida sst.

Is it worth going further than 4ghz? What about the temps and voltage?

Thank you,

AlexRoom temp.jpgoc.jpg

Should try and pushing it to 4.5Ghz rather than lowering voltage.

Also do some gaming on a OC also, I've found some overclocks are stable during a stress test but can crash in games.

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

17 minutes ago, DarkBlade2117 said:

Should try and pushing it to 4.5Ghz rather than lowering voltage.

Also do some gaming on a OC also, I've found some overclocks are stable during a stress test but can crash in games.

Great, I'll try going further than 4.0 keeping the 1.07v until bsod and then increasing the voltage for 0.01 at a time. 

Regarding games, I've played 2-3 csgo matches and also 2-3 hours of gta5 with no issues so far. I don't have more demanding games at the moment...

16 minutes ago, Matias_Chambers said:

You can use up to 1.4V as long as temps don't go over 85C at any time. 

Thank you. As max temp, I don't want to reach more than 65 full load, as I don't really trust the 212..

16 minutes ago, nervoz said:

Great, I'll try going further than 4.0 keeping the 1.07v until bsod and then increasing the voltage for 0.01 at a time. 

Regarding games, I've played 2-3 csgo matches and also 2-3 hours of gta5 with no issues so far. I don't have more demanding games at the moment...

Thank you. As max temp, I don't want to reach more than 65 full load, as I don't really trust the 212..

65C? That's a bit low for an air cooler. Usually a max of 80C is more than optimal, especially for a 5820k. You could push it up to 1.2v and the temps would still be good.

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

14 hours ago, DarkBlade2117 said:

65C? That's a bit low for an air cooler. Usually a max of 80C is more than optimal, especially for a 5820k. You could push it up to 1.2v and the temps would still be good.

Ok then. Tonight I'll push it further and see if I can reach 4.5 with a decent voltage/temps.

Last night, I've pushed the 4.0ghz barrier and raised the multiplier from 40 to 41 keeping the same 1.07v but it didn't want to boot into windows. I guess I'll have to raise the voltage a bit to reach 4.1 ghz

I'll post my results later, maybe you'll have some time to share your thoughts on the oc.