i5 6600k or i7 6700k?

Why doesn't overclocking apply ?

2 hours ago, Jed M said:

Overclocking the i5-6600k and using it for 1440p gaming is the most cost efficient. A

To OP: if money's not an option, then why the fuck did you ask this question in the first place?

2 hours ago, manikyath said:

i am mildly sleep deprived, but anything that overclocking can do to a 6600k is also applicable to a 6700k so in essence "overclocking does not apply here"

Why doesn't overclocking apply exactly ?

Just now, BWayneEnterprises said:

Why doesn't overclocking apply ?

OP decides between two overclockable CPUs...

Would be another story if he decides between an overclockable i5 and a non overclockable i7. But OP does not. So...

Hmm, so because they are both Overclockable they essentially cancel each other out ?

And then looking at thread count becomes relevant right, as that is a "difference"?

5 minutes ago, ItsTheDuckAgain said:

OP decides between two overclockable CPUs...

Would be another story if he decides between an overclockable i5 and a non overclockable i7. But OP does not. So...

13 minutes ago, BWayneEnterprises said:

Hmm, so because they are both Overclockable they essentially cancel each other out ?

And then looking at thread count becomes relevant right, as that is a "difference"?

all you need to know is here:

https://ark.intel.com/compare/88195,88191

and here

http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core-i7-6700K-vs-Intel-Core-i5-6600K

if one doesn't understand the bits and bytes they talk about on these pages it doesn't matter which CPU one gets anyway (though non K would be best in that case :-)). 

4 hours ago, Xdrone said:

Should I buy the i5 6600k or the i7 6700k?

Im playing 1440p with a GTX 1070.

Money isn't a problem, I only need this for gaming and the very occasional video render.

Im leaning toward i5 at the moment, but then again it will become obsolete in 2 years...

Even if money isn't a problem, I'd ask yourself: Do I need a CPU with 8 threads? If so, buy an i7. If not, buy an i5. Sounds like you'll benefit from an i7 if you're video rendering, but the i5 can do video rendering quite well, as well.

If your main concern is future proofing (which it sounds like you probably shouldn't be concerned), then buy one of the many overpriced CPUs from the X99 line.

If we're only talking about gaming, I don't personally see a point in spending $85 extra on something that'll only somewhat improve your performance at 1440p, especially if you're going to be overclocking your CPU, anyway. If money for some reason grows on trees for you, go ahead and get the i7. It's a great CPU and will perform very well in gaming.

2 hours ago, BWayneEnterprises said:

Why doesn't overclocking apply exactly ?

because overclocking is a feature on both of OP's options, and because both chips have essentially the same overclocking potential.

2 hours ago, Kavawuvi said:

---

i wont say that the i7 *will* improve performance, but there is defenatelya move in games towards multicore, so the i7 may stay relevant longer because of hyperthread. on top of that (as before mentioned) it does come with a higher clock out the box, so even if you completely lose the slilicon lottery (which by the way *is* possible) you're basicly guaranteed 4GHz.

6 hours ago, ARikozuM said:

I used to be but then my trainer traded me and I became Steel!

Pokemon joke?  I do believe that's a Steelix joke.  ?

4 hours ago, manikyath said:

i wont say that the i7 *will* improve performance, but there is defenatelya move in games towards multicore, so the i7 may stay relevant longer because of hyperthread. on top of that (as before mentioned) it does come with a higher clock out the box, so even if you completely lose the slilicon lottery (which by the way *is* possible) you're basicly guaranteed 4GHz.

I was mainly just talking about the games that people commonly quote where the i5 gets like 150 FPS and the i7 gets 180 FPS (oh and these processors are often running at stock speeds) and people call it a "bottleneck" and say that it's a good idea to spend an extra $85.

Yes, losing the silicon lottery is entirely possible, which is the risk you take when you spend extra on unlocked processors with the intention to overclock.

I say "intention to overclock" because some people don't overclock their chips, as they often either have a cheaper board like a B150 motherboard and had no intention in the first place to overclock (maybe they were upgrading from an i3-6100 or they got a really good deal on the i7-6700K or i5-6600K and bought that instead of the locked equivalent), or they have bought a Z170 board and maybe they initially had the intention to overclock but they're suddenly afraid to do so, or maybe they're misinformed and/or they didn't put much thought into their purchase, or other reasons.

Fortunately, you've got a pretty good chance at getting the i5 to run beyond 4 GHz, and you can almost always get it to run at the turbo boost speed (3.90 GHz) without much or any overvolting.