how many drives tdo i need for different RAIDs?

Bananasplit_00

found a great deal on some barely used HDDs and im thinking of getting a few and using them for a NAS or something(havent fully decided yet) and im wondering how many of them i need for the different types of RAID, i can max get 3 drives that are the same so im wondering what i am limited to, im pretty sure i cant do RAID 1 with that because thats 1:1 IIRC so im wondering what RAID typed requite what amount of drives

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

4 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

found a great deal on some barely used HDDs and im thinking of getting a few and using them for a NAS or something(havent fully decided yet) and im wondering how many of them i need for the different types of RAID, i can max get 3 drives that are the same so im wondering what i am limited to, im pretty sure i cant do RAID 1 with that because thats 1:1 IIRC so im wondering what RAID typed requite what amount of drives

TL;DR

Minimum drives required:

RAID0 - 2 (Not technically "RAID" in the sense that it doesn't offer any redundancy or resiliency)

RAID1 - 2

RAID5 - 3 (Though 4 is the most common minimum)

RAID6 - 4 (Though 5 is the most common minimum)

RAID10 - 4

RAID50 - 6

RAID60 - 8

EDIT: You can do RAID1 with 3 drives, but you'll have the same usable formatted capacity in Windows (The capacity of one single Disk) - adding more drives to RAID1 just adds more "mirrors" that you're copying the data to. It allows greater protection against drive failure (Though at a high cost that few find reasonable past 2 drives). I would not recommend a 3-drive RAID1 array, but it is possible.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

3 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

TL;DR

Minimum drives required:

RAID0 - 2 (Not technically "RAID" in the sense that it doesn't offer any redundancy or resiliency)

RAID1 - 2

RAID5 - 3 (Though 4 is the most common minimum)

RAID6 - 4 (Though 5 is the most common minimum)

RAID10 - 4

RAID50 - 6

RAID60 - 8

EDIT: You can do RAID1 with 3 drives, but you'll have the same usable formatted capacity in Windows (The capacity of one single Disk) - adding more drives to RAID1 just adds more "mirrors" that you're copying the data to. It allows greater protection against drive failure (Though at a high cost that few find reasonable past 2 drives). I would not recommend a 3-drive RAID1 array, but it is possible.

perfect, just what i was looking for! :D il probably get just one but i wanted to know this for refrence, also never heard of RAID50 nor RAID60, what are those?

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

1 minute ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

perfect, just what i was looking for! :D il probably get just one but i wanted to know this for refrence, also never heard of RAID50 nor RAID60, what are those?

Its basically 2 raid 5's in a raid 0.

For home use id probably run raid 5.

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

yah thats was the plan if i decide to get more then one of the drives

Builds:

Spoiler

Just now, Bananasplit_00 said:

yah thats was the plan if i decide to get more then one of the drives

what nas where you looking at. Many have there own custom raid solutions.

3 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

RAID 50 and 60 are pretty uncommon - even among Enterprise usage scenarios.

A RAID50 is basically two (or more, you can scale very high in theory) RAID5's "spanned" together. RAID60 is the same thing but with RAID6 arrays spanned together.

If I were to recommend, I'd suggest either getting 2x drives and doing a RAID1 mirror, or getting 3 drives now, and picking up a 4th one (of the same capacity) sometime later and doing a RAID5 array.

This is the short version lol

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

what nas where you looking at. Many have there own custom raid solutions.

dads PC basically, its always on and it has a cable connection, P4 and 1.5GB RAM lol, thinking of throwing a RAID card in there and using it as a NAS box too or if i decide to get an I7 dedicating one core of my CPU to the NAS. i could also pick up a super cheap used NAS without drives because those are like $40 here but i dont feel like spending that much. mostly its just speculation and wishing at this point lol

Builds:

Spoiler

dedicating one core of my CPU to the NAS

Not really how cpu cores work in most systems

1 minute ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

thinking of throwing a RAID card in ther

Id just run software raid.

If you have extra sata portts, id just make a array in storage space and then share it over the network in windows. 

Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

Id just run soft

If you have extra sata portts, id just make a array in storage space and then share it over the network in windows. 

i would run viritualization and have one windows share and one for the NAS for the core thing and i dont think the motherboard has any SATA ports, therefor the RAID card

Builds:

Spoiler

Id just run software raid.

Indeed a hardware RAID card is hardly necessary unless you're low on SATA ports.

As for the CPU core thing - he could be thinking of using a VM. That's personally how I would do it if I were using the "NAS" for more then one purpose. Run a Hypervisor (Not necessarily Hyper-V though) and VM all my OS's - one for the NAS, one for whatever else you were using the PC for, etc.

i would run viritualization and have one windows share and one for the NAS for the core thing and i dont think the motherboard has any SATA ports, therefor the RAID card

Oh that's right, you said it was a P4 system? The connectors are probably all IDE/PATA.

With VM's you can share cores, you don't deticate it to one use. Id probably give the vm 4 cores, so if it needs it if can have it.

No need to run a vm, id just run it on hardware on the main os.

Just now, dalekphalm said:

Oh that's right, you said it was a P4 system? The connectors are probably all IDE/PATA.

yep, all of them AFAIK

1 minute ago, dalekphalm said:

Indeed a hardware RAID card is hardly necessary unless you're low on SATA ports.

As for the CPU core thing - he could be thinking of using a VM. That's personally how I would do it if I were using the "NAS" for more then one purpose. Run a Hypervisor (Not necessarily Hyper-V though) and VM all my OS's - one for the NAS, one for whatever else you were using the PC for, etc.

basically this

Builds:

Spoiler

1 minute ago, dalekphalm said:

Id probably run the nas on the hardware, unless you have vt-d and a hba/raid card.

I have only had issues with passing disks to a vm. 

With VM's you can share cores, you don't deticate it to one use. Id probably give the vm 4 cores, so if it needs it if can have it.

No need to run a vm, id just run it on hardware on the main os.

kay well its all dependant on if i even get the drives in the first place lol, the I7 is a probably not going to happen because the only reason i would get an I7 would be for this and i would want one that can run 4.7GHz aswell which isnt most of them lol, the more probable solution would be running it on the P4 machine and im not sure how i would go about doing that tbh but id come to that then, migh end up giving him the Q6600 machine i have if i can solve the problem with it rejecting anything USB 3 and all the other problems it has lol

Builds:

Spoiler

4 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Id probably run the nas on the hardware, unless you have vt-d and a hba/raid card.

I have only had issues with passing disks to a vm. 

Fair enough but I would only consider putting hardware that supported virtualization (VT-d, etc) in a machine that was gonna be a NAS :P