Hybrid vs HDD/SSD combo

So I'm building a new PC and to save money, instaid of doing a HDD/SSD combo I figured I could get a hybrid drive? What are you thoughts? 

HDD/SSD combo or 1 hybrid drive? What would be cheaper?

Since I am to lazy to put something interesting here, I will put everything, but slightly abbreviated. Here is everything:

also, some questions to make you wonder about life:

What is I and who is me? Who is you? Which armrest in the movie theatre is yours?

also,

Welcome to the internet, I will be your guide. Or something.

My build:

CPU: Intel Core i5-7400 3.0GHz Quad-Core Processor,

Motherboard: ASRock B250M Pro4 Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard, 

Memory: Corsair 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory,

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive, 

Video Card: MSI Radeon RX 480 4GB ARMOR OC Video Card, 

Case: Corsair 100R ATX Mid Tower Case , 

Power Supply: Corsair CXM 450W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply, 

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home Full, 

Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link TL-WN725N USB 2.0 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi Adapter, Case Fan: Corsair Air Series White 2 pack 52.2 CFM  120mm Fan

ou do not ask why, you ask why not -me

Remeber kinds, the only differ between screwing around and scince is writing it down. -Adam Savage.

Only two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not even sure of the former. - Albert Einstein.

an sshd would be cheaper but performs less than an ssd. i would suggest to get a SSD and HDD combo, just store the important files in the SSD the rest put in the HDD

G502 Lightspeed Review

PC:

Spoiler

i5-6400

GIGABYTE GA-H110M-DS2

CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX 2X4 DDR4-2666MHz

ASUS ROG STRIX-GTX 1060-O6G

SEAGATE 2TB HDD

FUJISTU F300 240GB SSD

CORSAIR CX750M

Laptop:

Spoiler

Acer Nitro 5
i5 8300h
GTX 1050 4Gb
12 Gb RAM

128 Gb SSD

1 Tb HDD

Peripherals:

Spoiler

Keyboard:

Logitech G310 Atlas Dawn (Romer G)

Rexus Legionare MX5.1 (Content Browns)

Mice:

Logitech G602

Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Steelseries Rival 105

Logitech M330

Headset:

Logitech G430 
Cooler Master MH 752

Hybrid drives are usually crap, with only 8 or 16gb actually being SSD, and the rest being hard drive. Get two separate ones, it will work better.

I've found a 120GB SSD + 1TB hard drive to be enough for my daily life. I mostly play games 1 at a time, so I put the game I'm playing on the 120GB (I've found it able to fit 3-4 games 15GB each, the rest for my OS and applications), then when I'm done I copy it back into the HDD.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

I did a little digging a while back and found that for about $10 more than a 1 TB Seagate desktop SSHD, you could get a 1 TB Seagate HDD and a 120GB budget SSD. In most cases, an SSHD isn't worth it. The only situations in which I'd consider one are laptops and mini PCs/USFFs where a 2.5" SSD can't physically be squeezed into the case.

I enjoy buying junk and sinking more money than it's worth into it to make it less junk.

18 minutes ago, Oswin said:

an sshd would be cheaper but performs less than an ssd. i would suggest to get a SSD and HDD combo, just store the important files in the SSD the rest put in the HDD

I don't agree : 

So true it hurts

3 minutes ago, SirFlamenco said:

I don't agree : 

what?? lol can you read? 

24 minutes ago, Oswin said:

an sshd would be cheaper but performs less than an ssd

i dont know what you are doing, you seem to be disagreeing everything i wrote

G502 Lightspeed Review

PC:

Spoiler

i5-6400

GIGABYTE GA-H110M-DS2

CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX 2X4 DDR4-2666MHz

ASUS ROG STRIX-GTX 1060-O6G

SEAGATE 2TB HDD

FUJISTU F300 240GB SSD

CORSAIR CX750M

Laptop:

Spoiler

Acer Nitro 5
i5 8300h
GTX 1050 4Gb
12 Gb RAM

128 Gb SSD

1 Tb HDD

Peripherals:

Spoiler

Keyboard:

Logitech G310 Atlas Dawn (Romer G)

Rexus Legionare MX5.1 (Content Browns)

Mice:

Logitech G602

Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Steelseries Rival 105

Logitech M330

Headset:

Logitech G430 
Cooler Master MH 752

thx guys !

Since I am to lazy to put something interesting here, I will put everything, but slightly abbreviated. Here is everything:

What is I and who is me? Who is you? Which armrest in the movie theatre is yours?

also,

My build:

Power Supply: Corsair CXM 450W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply, 

Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link TL-WN725N USB 2.0 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi Adapter, Case Fan: Corsair Air Series White 2 pack 52.2 CFM  120mm Fan

Remeber kinds, the only differ between screwing around and scince is writing it down. -Adam Savage.

Only two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not even sure of the former. - Albert Einstein.

Hi @King_of_Oz!

Like the others wrote it depends pretty much on what are you planning to do with the PC, but I personally would prefer the dual storage configuration with a 120/256GB SSD and 1TB/2TB HDD.

Basically a SSHD blends HDD capacity with SSD speeds by placing traditional rotating platters, and a small amount of high-speed flash memory on a single drive. It has a certain amount of fast storage (cache) for commonly accessed files, which means that the files within this cache are accessed at SSD speeds (for instance, 8GB or 16GB of files), and everything else is accessed at standard HDD speeds.

The biggest con though is that with the hybrid drives you have no control over what the SSHD stores in its cache since the drive uses a built-in algorithm to determine which frequently used files it will cache, so unless you're going to use the same file very often you won't see a big deal of benefit. At the same times, with an SSD and a HDD you can choose what to run faster and what not because you'll skip the algorithm part and you will put whatever you want wherever you want.

Also, my personal preference is to have one drive for your OS and most demanding software and another one mostly for mass storage since that way you'll have a secondary backup unit for the most important data from the primary drive. 

Hope this helps and feel free to ask any questions you may have. :)

If this post helped you, please like and choose it as a best answer.   :)
http://www.wdc.com/en/

4 hours ago, Mighty_Miro_WD said:

Hi @King_of_Oz!

Like the others wrote it depends pretty much on what are you planning to do with the PC, but I personally would prefer the dual storage configuration with a 120/256GB SSD and 1TB/2TB HDD.

Basically a SSHD blends HDD capacity with SSD speeds by placing traditional rotating platters, and a small amount of high-speed flash memory on a single drive. It has a certain amount of fast storage (cache) for commonly accessed files, which means that the files within this cache are accessed at SSD speeds (for instance, 8GB or 16GB of files), and everything else is accessed at standard HDD speeds.

The biggest con though is that with the hybrid drives you have no control over what the SSHD stores in its cache since the drive uses a built-in algorithm to determine which frequently used files it will cache, so unless you're going to use the same file very often you won't see a big deal of benefit. At the same times, with an SSD and a HDD you can choose what to run faster and what not because you'll skip the algorithm part and you will put whatever you want wherever you want.

Also, my personal preference is to have one drive for your OS and most demanding software and another one mostly for mass storage since that way you'll have a secondary backup unit for the most important data from the primary drive. 

Hope this helps and feel free to ask any questions you may have. :)

Thanks a bunch!

also,

My build: