i need your help on how to attach a wire

Velvet Revolver

i have a power supply unit which has a set of pins on the rear, 4 high by 6 wide and i need to jumper a few together. i tried soldering but my gun is to large ;) the supply store doesnt have the one i want which is an adjustable 60w for hobbyists. is there a device that can wrap wire around the pin or do i need to find something else.

this aint so much a power supply question, its just a soldering question. how to solder wire onto a pin where they are so close together.

i just saw a hack where i can use copper wire in place of my current soldering iron tip. i should give that a go, it will be just as good as waiting for a more typical electronics soldering iron or cheap one from Radio Shack you know what i mean

Dell.PNG

I have this soldering station and it works great even for surface mount components.

https://www.amazon.com/Stahl-Tools-SSVT-Temperature-Soldering/dp/B0029N70WM/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1480212201&sr=8-11&keywords=soldering+station

If you buy a different iron make sure you use a conical tip instead of a chisel one. Its smaller and easier to reach smaller spaces.

Chisel is better, allows you to hit the two things you want to solder a bit easier. You have to heat your two parts of the joint then any solder to the joint itself, not the iron. That's how you get the best joint, otherwise you end up with a cold joint. A chisel tip is easier to do this, although a typical pointed tip still works. 

ASU

i was thinking off drilling holes in a piece of plastic having the holes match the pins. I need to protect the pins as well.

I will do this while i wait for a sale on an adjustable hobby iron.

I assume this is just for the signal wire to kick the PSU on? If so a wire wrap tool would work: https://www.amazon.com/22-24AWG-Wire-Wrap-Electronix-Express/dp/B01IDZU8V4/

It will do this: http://www.homebrewcpu.com/Pictures/wire_wrap_closeup.jpg

It likely won't be as pretty since those pins are smaller than what the tool is designed for, but it will still function.

@Scheer yes its to connect pins together to turn the psu on, plus to regulate the fan so its not a 747 taking off. that was the term i was looking for 'wire wrap' i will start googling. thanks

also i will do the solid copper wire in a tip design that can work for my big old weller.

The pins need to be square in order to do proper wire wrapping. It's basically cold welding, the wire is welded to the pin at the edges of the square pin.

You won't be able to do proper wire wrap with round contacts.

You should open the power supply and try to join those contacts with some insulated wires on the bottom of the pcb. But really, those old style soldering irons are kind of lousy.

Also, it would help you a LOT if you'd use some liquid flux. Apply some flux where you want to solder and bring leaded solder to what you want to solder with that iron.

The old iron is very hot and would burn the flux in the solder you use too fast so it would have little effect. The additional liquid flux will ease soldering.