Is it me or copmuter fans are f** cheap?

NoisanceRitual

Is there a brand who makes fans that are made to a higher standard of reliability?

Like at least 5 years warranty?

Plastic feels cheap and breaks easily.

Always some tickering clicks each spin they make.

They don't really push air a lot, if we compare to fans used outside of the pc fans world.

Well for quality, try Noctua

And as for the airflow complaint, consider that a normal desk fan has a much larger diameter and runs at a speed which produces a lot of noise, which PC fans aim not to do.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

1 minute ago, matrixmodulator said:

Is there a brand who makes fans that are made to a higher standard of reliability?

They don't really push air a lot, if we compare to fans used outside of the pc fans world.

It depends on your application but some of the best ones would be Noctua, Gentle Typhoon, and Noiseblocker while being very silent in operation. 

Are you expecting metal blades for computer fans with wires everywhere or something? Plastic can only take so much before they shatter if they make contact with something as they spin at high rpm.

Yeah i know they are meant to be silent and cant use metal but damn they are all plastic that breaks easily...

All theses brands i wasnt aware of... i will check them out :) thanks

Also the sticker is never at the center of the fan, so it looks like it spins badly lol

1 hour ago, matrixmodulator said:

Yeah i know they are meant to be silent and cant use metal but damn they are all plastic that breaks easily...

Ya, if you buy from a cheap brand like Rosewill or something they won't be very good. For a high quality fan you'll usually have to pay 10-20$ each

1 hour ago, matrixmodulator said:

Also the sticker is never at the center of the fan, so it looks like it spins badly lol

No company has their stickers centered :/ Just peel off the sticker.

Just now, 1Reshiram12 said:

Ya, if you buy from a cheap brand like Rosewill or something they won't be very good. For a high quality fan you'll usually have to pay 10-20$ each

I'm posting this after installing my 20$ cad coolermaster fan 200mm.

I had other brands too in the past.

The only one that seems better is the one included in the corsair h80 cooling system at the rear of my case.

1 minute ago, matrixmodulator said:

Plastic isn't a problem with fan blades and are actually a better material than metal in most cases especially with balancing, the materials that both Noctua and Gentle Typhoon (Nidec) use isn't just plastic, they are glass fiber reinforced ABS making them very stiff and tough for impact resistance but they will not really have to experience in that inside of a PC.

35 minutes ago, matrixmodulator said:

I'm posting this after installing my 20$ cad coolermaster fan 200mm.

I had other brands too in the past.

The only one that seems better is the one included in the corsair h80 cooling system at the rear of my case.

Cooler master is meh, not logisys or rosewill bad, but just mediocre. Be Quiet, Noctua, and Corsair are probably the nicest. Part of that is also where they are designed and in some cases where they are manufactured. Be Quiet is German, Noctua is Austrian and Corsair is from California.

ok next time ill try them.

Yeah plastic is okay but you know theres many plastic types i dont know much about this but theres some that feels a LOT better and rarely breaks.

I use Corsair (Case) and Noctua (CPU) over the last Years. Never had anything to complain about. There are 123 Million different Fans tho. Impossible to know them all.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

I picked myself up some aerocool shark 120mm white led fans for 6$ each. Pretty decent and ok looking fans for anyone on a serious budget but still wants looks/leds. Def not the quietest fans though 

Main system:

i7 6700k @4.8ghz 1.45v

ROG Maximus Hero VIII

Gigabyte G1 980ti Sli @1500 ghz

Samsung 950 pro 512gb

16gb G.Skill Ripjawz V @3400mhz 

Corsair H115i 280mm AIO

Corsair 400c Case

Corsair RM1000i

Backup/Older/Toys:

Intel i3 6100 @4.6ghz 1.52v

Asrock B150M Pro4/Hyper

Intel 750 series 400gb

Radeon Rx 470 XFX

Thermaltake Water 3.0 360mm AIO 

inWin 303 case

AMD Phenom II x4 940 @3.9ghz 1.65v

Gigabyte 780g mobo

Corsair H100 240mm AIO

Corsair Dominiator 8gb DDR2 @1066

Evga GTX 750ti FTW @1450mhz

Thermaltake Matrix case (modded)

"The best way to look stylish on a budget is to try second-hand, bargain hunting, and vintage" 

19 minutes ago, 1Reshiram12 said:

rosewill bad

Hey rosewill has some fine stuff. The Photon and Quark PSUs are fine and the cheapest fully modular that I'd recommend (unless you can get a M12II EVO for less), and there's the Rosewill Cullinan.

But their cheap stuff is logisys bad, I'll give you that. At least their PSUs don't break ATX spec blatantly like logisys ones.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

4 minutes ago, Energycore said:

Hey rosewill has some fine stuff. The Photon and Quark PSUs are fine and the cheapest fully modular that I'd recommend (unless you can get a M12II EVO for less), and there's the Rosewill Cullinan.

But their cheap stuff is logisys bad, I'll give you that. At least their PSUs don't break ATX spec blatantly like logisys ones.

For the price their stuff is good, I have the Rosewill Tyrfing for $40, but it's not extremely high quality.

22 minutes ago, 1Reshiram12 said:

Cooler master is meh, not logisys or rosewill bad, but just mediocre. Be Quiet, Noctua, and Corsair are probably the nicest. Part of that is also where they are designed and in some cases where they are manufactured. Be Quiet is German, Noctua is Australian and Corsair is from California.

Lol, Noctua is not Australian.

23 minutes ago, 1Reshiram12 said:

Cooler master is meh, not logisys or rosewill bad, but just mediocre. Be Quiet, Noctua, and Corsair are probably the nicest. Part of that is also where they are designed and in some cases where they are manufactured. Be Quiet is German, Noctua is Australian and Corsair is from California.

Just now, Sakkura said:

Austrian*

But also half taiwanese.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

10 minutes ago, Sakkura said:

WOW I've visited Noctua's website like 10 times on separate occasions and I've always read that as Australia LOL. 

34 minutes ago, matrixmodulator said:

You must either have really cheap fans or you're doing something wrong if they're breaking. I can highly recommend Be Quiet and Gentle Typhoon fans. Noctua's are pretty popular along with Corsair and I've read Phanteks fans are getting pretty good. You gotta shell out for quality fans through, they can easily break your budget.

Main PC CPU: 7700K, MOBO: Asus Strix, GPU: Aorus Extreme 3080, PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 750, RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB Storage: 970 Evo 1tb

Lounge PC CPU: 4790K MOBO: Asus Hero VII GPU: EVGA 3060 Ti PSU: Corsair RM650 RAM: Kingston HyperX 16gb Storage: 970 Evo 1TB

1 hour ago, 1Reshiram12 said:

WOW I've visited Noctua's website like 10 times on separate occasions and I've alwAys read that as Australia LOL.

Maybe in an alternate reality :D

1 hour ago, vong said:

You must either have really cheap fans or you're doing something wrong if they're breaking. I can highly recommend Be Quiet and Gentle Typhoon fans. Noctua's are pretty popular along with Corsair and I've read Phanteks fans are getting pretty good. You gotta shell out for quality fans through, they can easily break your budget.

I'm not sure i had some thermaltake and coolermaster fans, maybe one cheaper at some point but i broke 2 and one failed quick.

I usualy take care of my stuff and all but one time i broke one fan just by screwing it on the case (using the supplied screws)

8 hours ago, matrixmodulator said:

noctua fans seems nice but wtf the colors lol 

When they make such good products, they just don't care about colors. There are also better cheaper fans. Bitfenix is good example of cheaper fans with better build quality. Their performance and noise are things where they aren't in par with more expensive options.

8 hours ago, 1Reshiram12 said:

WOW I've visited Noctua's website like 10 times on separate occasions and I've always read that as Australia LOL. 

And you didn't wonder why url ends .at instead of .au?

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

I was surprised by the quality of the thermaltake riings. The are a little louder than other fans around the same price point but I'm still happy with them. Deepcool also surprised me with how quiet their CPU cooler fans are.

Intel Xeon 1650 V0 (4.4GHz @1.4V), ASRock X79 Extreme6, 32GB of HyperX 1866, Sapphire Nitro+ 5700XT, Silverstone Redline (black) RL05BB-W, Crucial MX500 500GB SSD, TeamGroup GX2 512GB SSD, WD AV-25 1TB 2.5" HDD with generic Chinese 120GB SSD as cache, x2 Seagate 2TB SSHD(RAID 0) with generic Chinese 240GB SSD as cache, SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 850, x2 Acer H236HL, Acer V277U be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4, Logitech K120, Tecknet "Gaming" mouse, Creative Inspire T2900, HyperX Cloud Flight Wireless headset, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

9 hours ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

When they make such good products, they just don't care about colors. There are also better cheaper fans. Bitfenix is good example of cheaper fans with better build quality. Their performance and noise are things where they aren't in par with more expensive options.

And you didn't wonder why url ends .at instead of .au?

loll yeah i get it but choosing a nice color is'nt hard.. or is it something to trick people into, seems like its really not the first time, like company with a f*** old website cause they dont care and people knows they have good stuff so they don't update it cause it will change the perception. :D