MSI X99S SLI PLUS burned component?

Hello everyone,

I have a problem with my X99S SLI PLUS motherboard by MSI (link here)
Yesterday, a few seconds after I unplugged my phone and cable from the rear USB (on the motherboard, not a hub), I smelled something burning. When I didn't notice any smoke I opened my pc case and noticed my CPU fans weren't spinning anymore. I looked at my screen and to my relief the rest of my PC was still working.
I shut down my computer to check for any damage but apart from the burnt smell I didn't see anything. Because the cpufan pins weren't working anymore, I decided to switch my CPU fan to the sysfan pins. I booted the PC once again and the cpu fans were spinning normally.
About 15-20 minutes after booting my PC I noticed a burning smell again, I immediately opened my pc case and saw the fans were not spinning anymore. I shut down my computer and decided to remove all the components from the motherboard to check for any signs of damage and what I found was pretty alarming, pictures here: MSI X99S SLI PLUS - Imgur

There is a small component on the motherboard that's completely burned out, I suppose it's a component that regulates the voltage/current to the cpu/sysfan pins. I was wondering if anyone here has experienced something similar or knows what the cause of the problem might be.

I don't want to send my motherboard for a RMA because I don't have a spare motherboard and don't want to miss it for a long time. Can anyone advice me what to do or who to contact?

- - -

Complete list of hardware:
Mobo: MSI X99S SLI PLUS - Socket 2011-3 - ATX
GFX: MSI GeForce GTX 980 Ti, 6GB, Gaming
RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB - PC4-19200 - DIMM (4x)
CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K - 3.3GHz - Socket 2011-3
CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock PRO 3
PSU: Cooler Master V1000 - 1000 Watt
Case: Fractal Design Define R4
Storage: 4 SSD's and 1 HDD
I also have 7 case fans (that aren't connected to the motherboard) if that would make a difference to the situation.

- - -

I've tried looking for someone with a similar problem but unfortunately (or fortunately for anyone else I guess), haven't found anything.
Just in case here's the link again to the pictures I took: MSI X99S SLI PLUS - Imgur

- - -

If there's any more information needed, feel free to ask.

contact MSI and they should send you a new mobo. It should be down for that long and because you bought a nice product they may send you a mobo before they get the broken one. 

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

3 minutes ago, Pukk said:

I don't want to send my motherboard for a RMA because I don't have a spare motherboard and don't want to miss it for a long time. Can anyone advice me what to do or who to contact?

Well besides getting a RMA for the board you are left with just getting a new board.

I would advice you not use that board anymore and to RMA it.

•E5-2670 @2.7GHz • Intel DX79SI • EVGA 970 SSC• GSkill Sniper 8Gb ddr3 • Corsair Spec 02 • Corsair RM750 • HyperX 120Gb SSD • Hitachi 2Tb HDD •

Just now, GDRRiley said:

contact MSI and they should send you a new mobo. It should be down for that long and because you bought a nice product they may send you a mobo before they get the broken one. 

Thanks for the fast reply. I live in Europe, do you think they have a similar policy here?

Just now, Pukk said:

Thanks for the fast reply. I live in Europe, do you think they have a similar policy here?

just ask them if you can get one fast, and they make give one to you. For me I could go and pound on the door of the people who designed the parts because I live next to the silicon valley and ask for a replacement. :)

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

Msi X99S Sli plus, this doesnt really suprise me.

RMA the board, wenn you get a new one eventually sell it.

and buy a decent board really.

Hello guys, a small update here.

I contacted MSI support and they told me to contact the store I purchased the component because they don't take direct RMA's from consumers. The only thing I can hope is that the reseller processes the RMA as fast as possible so I'm not out of a motherboard for too long.. :(

4 minutes ago, Pukk said:

Hello guys, a small update here.

I contacted MSI support and they told me to contact the store I purchased the component because they don't take direct RMA's from consumers. The only thing I can hope is that the reseller processes the RMA as fast as possible so I'm not out of a motherboard for too long.. :(

Hmm if Msi says things like that, that kinda annoys me really.

Because they know that its an issue with your particular board.

You are not the only one with this same issue really.

There is of course a reason why i never recommend Msi X99 boards to anyone.