I need ultrabook that is good and cheap for programming

Hi I'm learning programing and I need ultrabook because I travel a lot but all the ultrabook out there are expensive I thought of buying used asus zenbook or macbook air but I'm no sure what is good for beginner programmer can you please help me.

Just so you know, it might be better to have started this post in another section.  No worries though :)  it's your first post so I happily welcome you to the community :) 

A macbook would be good for anything that requires xcode or if you want to develop mac os applications or iOS applications.  It's also important to know that even though Microsoft Visual Studio supports Xamarin which can allow you to develop applications for iOS in c# it WILL NOT compile without a mac with an SSH server running and with xcode running actively (I have experience).  

I primarily develop in ASP.NET which is .NET, I use a Lenovo 710s which is affordable and pretty good, and I use visual studio.  It is important to know that macs can run Linux and Windows as well, but you need to purchase a Windows license.  It's also important to know that Windows 10 supports Ubuntu on Windows which might be good if you want to develop Linux applications or use a linux text editor in the command line such as vim.  

This might seem like blabber or like sense to you, either way I hope it helps.  And I haven't finished yet, here is my recommendation for a good laptop for you: 

Apple Macbook air 13 IF you want mac os, if you don't plan on running Windows but like the possibility, and if you do web development, app development or python, ruby etc.  OSX comes with perl, python and java preinstalled, but I might be wrong.  

I highly suggest either my laptop, lenovo 710s or the Asus zenbook.  Visual Studio is free and Microsoft has free and awesome programming tutorials mainly on Python.  Visual Studio is also my favourite IDE.  Windows will support all the apps that you want to use most likely.  I suggest Windows or Linux if you want to get into Web Development, IOT or Python, Ruby etc.    I soley suggest Windows if you want to get into those but also c#.  

Make sure to get a good laptop that has good battery life, a good processor and I advise at least 8GB of RAM.  IDEs can sometimes use a lot of RAM.  I also suggest getting a laptop with a good screen so that you can have Windows side by side.  And a hard disk with at least 250GB so you can have all your software and a virtual machine for any servers or Linux if you want to program in Linux.  

Hope this helps! 

My little brother bought a MI Air 12,5 for the same utilization, it's fairly cheap and he is very happy with it.

The build quality looks very good aswell.

I use a 700€ acer swift 3, I had problem installing linux on it so i'm still running windows, but it's a nice value otherwise, it has an i5, 8GB of RAM and a 256GB SSD.

(i do use a remote machine -linux- to code though, but you'll be fine with a IDE) 

5 minutes ago, Mike_The_B0ss said:

Just so you know, it might be better to have started this post in another section.  No worries though :)  it's your first post so I happily welcome you to the community :) 

A macbook would be good for anything that requires xcode or if you want to develop mac os applications or iOS applications.  It's also important to know that even though Microsoft Visual Studio supports Xamarin which can allow you to develop applications for iOS in c# it WILL NOT compile without a mac with an SSH server running and with xcode running actively (I have experience).  

I primarily develop in ASP.NET which is .NET, I use a Lenovo 710s which is affordable and pretty good, and I use visual studio.  It is important to know that macs can run Linux and Windows as well, but you need to purchase a Windows license.  It's also important to know that Windows 10 supports Ubuntu on Windows which might be good if you want to develop Linux applications or use a linux text editor in the command line such as vim.  

This might seem like blabber or like sense to you, either way I hope it helps.  And I haven't finished yet, here is my recommendation for a good laptop for you: 

Apple Macbook air 13 IF you want mac os, if you don't plan on running Windows but like the possibility, and if you do web development, app development or python, ruby etc.  OSX comes with perl, python and java preinstalled, but I might be wrong.  

I highly suggest either my laptop, lenovo 710s or the Asus zenbook.  Visual Studio is free and Microsoft has free and awesome programming tutorials mainly on Python.  Visual Studio is also my favourite IDE.  Windows will support all the apps that you want to use most likely.  I suggest Windows or Linux if you want to get into Web Development, IOT or Python, Ruby etc.    I soley suggest Windows if you want to get into those but also c#.  

Make sure to get a good laptop that has good battery life, a good processor and I advise at least 8GB of RAM.  IDEs can sometimes use a lot of RAM.  I also suggest getting a laptop with a good screen so that you can have Windows side by side.  And a hard disk with at least 250GB so you can have all your software and a virtual machine for any servers or Linux if you want to program in Linux.  

Hope this helps! 

Thanks that was helpful I'm learning c++

Well I did some basic programming in visual studio, and I must say ... you don't need any special hardware for that.

Programming itself is mostly just writing the code right? No need for super power computer.

Then again, I was only learning basics, so I might have no idea what I'm talking about.

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB

38 minutes ago, Hany said:

Thanks that was helpful I'm learning c++

Then I highly advise Windows.  Although Linux and OSX do support c++ well, I suggest Windows because the Microsoft compiler is not only free but is very good, and with Visual Studio which has a lot of great features to make programming faster and easier. 

I've done some programming in c++, and although other c++ compilers worked fine, I really prefer the Microsoft c++ compiler with Visual Studio

I am learning programming as well. And I am using a macbook pro. 2012 non retina version. 

I think OS X is perfect for working and professional use. (Don't get yourself into the hating apple's every newly released product trend.)

As someone suggested here if you are learning a specific language that works really well on windows, go buy a windows laptop. (i am not a pro here so listen to them.)

If you are like me who like OS X, go buy a macbook pro. If as you said right now you have to buy a second hand one(macbook air), then I suggest you go for the windows machine instead. Because Macbooks are great, BUT, if they fail , they are gonna cost you a ton to repair it. Especially you are gonna buy yourself a working machine.  A working machine is something that should give you 99% of up time and almost 0 down time.  If you have the budget for a new laptop, watch out a few things when you buy it:   

1. Battery life. (Cos you said you travel a lot).
  2. Screen resolution. My one is still a 720p one, and it is not pleasing to use it. 
  3. Stay away from HP's laptop. Just don't..... Nobody likes all those crappy machine. 

Despite all that, I think if you are just into programming, any machine will do.... Just remember 3 things. 

1. SSD is a must, not something "I wish I could have".
  2. Give yourself at least 8GB of RAM. Cos when you are doing project (30 google chrome tabs opening), using IDE, editing in photoshop, taking notes, typing in terminal, and "occasionally " visiting twitter and facebook and LTT forum, you are gonna need a lot of ram. Also windows machine is gonna slow itself down when you have higher ram usage. Macbooks are different.  (Look at my ram usage, and I am not even working right now. )
  3. Also, if you want to save money, buy an older machine (non-ultrabook), and just put a lot of ram and SSD in it. Those older machine is A LOT easier to repair than those ultrabook. 
  4. Screen Shot 2016-11-24 at 8.34.33 PM.png

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

Also ask @Dackzy , he knows a lot of stuff about laptops... He's gonna give you some advice. 

18 minutes ago, mrchow19910319 said:

I am learning programming as well. And I am using a macbook pro. 2012 non retina version. 

I think OS X is perfect for working and professional use. (Don't get yourself into the hating apple's every newly released product trend.)

As someone suggested here if you are learning a specific language that works really well on windows, go buy a windows laptop. (i am not a pro here so listen to them.)

If you are like me who like OS X, go buy a macbook pro. If as you said right now you have to buy a second hand one(macbook air), then I suggest you go for the windows machine instead. Because Macbooks are great, BUT, if they fail , they are gonna cost you a ton to repair it. Especially you are gonna buy yourself a working machine.  A working machine is something that should give you 99% of up time and almost 0 down time.  If you have the budget for a new laptop, watch out a few things when you buy it:   

1. Battery life. (Cos you said you travel a lot).
  2. Screen resolution. My one is still a 720p one, and it is not pleasing to use it. 
  3. Stay away from HP's laptop. Just don't..... Nobody likes all those crappy machine. 

Despite all that, I think if you are just into programming, any machine will do.... Just remember 3 things. 

1. SSD is a must, not something "I wish I could have".
  2. Give yourself at least 8GB of RAM. Cos when you are doing project (30 google chrome tabs opening), using IDE, editing in photoshop, taking notes, typing in terminal, and "occasionally " visiting twitter and facebook and LTT forum, you are gonna need a lot of ram. Also windows machine is gonna slow itself down when you have higher ram usage. Macbooks are different.  (Look at my ram usage, and I am not even working right now. )
  3. Also, if you want to save money, buy an older machine (non-ultrabook), and just put a lot of ram and SSD in it. Those older machine is A LOT easier to repair than those ultrabook. 

I wouldnt call them a neccesity Im surviving without one and its isnt a huge difference (I am planning to buy one soon but Im definitely not forking out the extra cash for an 850 EVO)

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Those who know much are aware that they know little. - Slick roasting me

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

Offical first poster LTT V2.0

2 minutes ago, Clanscorpia said:

I wouldnt call them a neccesity Im surviving without one and its isnt a huge difference (I am planning to buy one soon but Im definitely not forking out the extra cash for an 850 EVO)

After you buy one SSD and use it for a while, change back to HDD and see how it works out for you............. 

And most of the SATA 3 ssds performs the same on the market, go for longer warranty instead of higher end branding. 

You don't have to buy samsung one if you don't feel like it...

Edited by mrchow19910319

Just now, mrchow19910319 said:

After you buy one SSD and use it for a while, change back to HDD and see how it works out for you............. 

I did use an SSD for a while. The boot times and loading times made a difference but its a lot of money and thats something I dont have

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

1 minute ago, Clanscorpia said:

I did use an SSD for a while. The boot times and loading times made a difference but its a lot of money and thats something I dont have

Okay. Understood.  It's alright we have different views. :D

Cheers. 

Okay. Understood.  It's alright we have different views. :D

Cheers. 

I am still planning to get an Adata SP550 120GB because it was a difference but if he is cash strapped (and Im assuming he is young) then SSDs are a lot. For my build, that 70 dollars could have been spent in better places. My bank account had like .10 dollars after I bought my build :P 

Spoiler

AXIOM

so what kind of budget are we working with?

Since you are going to type a lot, I would recommend a business laptop, since their keyboards are generally just way better than any normal laptops.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

I am still planning to get an Adata SP550 120GB because it was a difference but if he is cash strapped (and Im assuming he is young) then SSDs are a lot. For my build, that 70 dollars could have been spent in better places. My bank account had like .10 dollars after I bought my build :P 

Don't worry dude. I had my 1st laptop when I was 16. The left corner of the laptop gets so hot the sticker melted after a few months. 

We've all been there. Trust me, when you grow older, you have more money, and yet sometimes you still miss those period of your life. 

When everyone is relatively poor and all use crappy things, but you guys were super happy about it. 

I-know-that-feel-bro-hold-f.jpg

Don't worry dude. I had my 1st laptop when I was 16. The left corner of the laptop gets so hot the sticker melted after a few months. 

We've all been there. Trust me, when you grow older, you have more money, and yet sometimes you still miss those period of your life. 

When everyone is relatively poor and all use crappy things, but you guys were super happy about it. 

That hot? Wow :P 

Spoiler

AXIOM

Just now, Clanscorpia said:

That hot? Wow :P 

Tell me about it. Those good old gaming days. I play warcraft, and I suck at it. But I can play against AI for like straight 6,7 hours non eating nor sleeping. 

Now I can't even finish a game's single player campaign....... I get bored and tired so fast LOL. 

Tell me about it. Those good old gaming days. I play warcraft, and I suck at it. But I can play against AI for like straight 6,7 hours non eating nor sleeping. 

Now I can't even finish a game's single player campaign....... I get bored and tired so fast LOL. 

Thats me with AoE sometimes :P When I was 8 I could play all day but now I just come back here and lurk until I spot a stupid person

Spoiler

AXIOM

Thats me with AoE sometimes :P When I was 8 I could play all day but now I just come back here and lurk until I spot a stupid person

Lmao.  Don't worry dude we've still got p o r n h u b....