Is the Founder's Edition REALLY that bad?

Canonical
Go to solution Solved by ARikozuM,
9 minutes ago, Canonical said:

My case is an S340

I would recommend the EVGA FTW since there's enough airflow to help the cooler out. If you decide on the FE, you'll get similar performance and overclocks will be similar. Stock performance is the main difference (among others) between the different cards .

Also I'm not buying any cards till Christmas so hopefully EVGA fixes the issues with those cards by then.

If you buy from EVGA, the pads are pre-installed.

Over the past few months I have heard some bad things about the GTX 1080 Founder's Editions. Like: they run super hot, thermally throttle all the time, are 5-10% slower than, say, a FTW 1080 from EVGA, suck at overclocking, are super loud, don't last as long, and some have even said picking up a FE when you can get a FTW or G1 is like buying a Prius over a Lamborghini!

So is any of that true? Is a card like the FTW Edition really that superior to a FE, if at all? I have been considering buying a FE over a FTW to use in my custom built case with tons of space and airflow, so the only real selling point I have heard for the FE (blower cooler for small cases) isn't really relevant here. I prefer the looks of the Founder's over the FTW by a bit but I definitely don't hate the FTW. I definitely wouldn't mind the RGB lighting in the FTW model 9_9

Just for the record I can get a Founder's Edition over a FTW for about $10 more at my local NCIX so price isn't really a factor.

Thanks! :)

They do run hotter and OC worse, I would get a FTW

✨PC Specs✨

AMD Ryzen 7 3800X | MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus | 16GB Team T-Force 3400MHz | Zotac GTX 1080 AMP EXTREME

BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | NZXT 750W | Phanteks Eclipse P400A

Extras: ASUS Zephyrus G14 (2021) | OnePlus 7 Pro | Fully restored Robosapien V2, Omnibot 2000, Omnibot 5402

7 minutes ago, Canonical said:

Over the past few months I have heard some bad things about the GTX 1080 Founder's Editions.

the cooling is loud and nowhere near as good as any of the open air cooler...so yes, imho it's pretty bad. it's a bad design for a high power graphics card.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

It depends hugely on the use case. If you're using the GPU in a tight case, whether it's slim or compact (like a desktop or HTPC), the FE will do much better than a fan design. I've got a FE 1080 in my Vive HTPC (Node 202) that does marvelously with only 30% fan speed.

Anyone who blankets a blower as bad has very little experience with the advantages of each design.

@Canonical What case do you intend to use?

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

If u need a rear exhausted card it's fine if not there's not much point getting one IMO unless you just plain want it

Main system:

i7 6700k @4.8ghz 1.45v

ROG Maximus Hero VIII

Gigabyte G1 980ti Sli @1500 ghz

Samsung 950 pro 512gb

16gb G.Skill Ripjawz V @3400mhz 

Corsair H115i 280mm AIO

Corsair 400c Case

Corsair RM1000i

Backup/Older/Toys:

Intel i3 6100 @4.6ghz 1.52v

Asrock B150M Pro4/Hyper

Intel 750 series 400gb

Radeon Rx 470 XFX

Thermaltake Water 3.0 360mm AIO 

inWin 303 case

AMD Phenom II x4 940 @3.9ghz 1.65v

Gigabyte 780g mobo

Corsair H100 240mm AIO

Corsair Dominiator 8gb DDR2 @1066

Evga GTX 750ti FTW @1450mhz

Thermaltake Matrix case (modded)

"The best way to look stylish on a budget is to try second-hand, bargain hunting, and vintage" 

They will run hot and oc worse then other board cards. One of the main reasons you would get a FE card is for SFF cases like the Dan Case A4SFX or the Sentry. There are heaps of videos out on this subject and what to go with in certain situations.

16 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

It depends hugely on the use case. If you're using the GPU in a tight case, whether it's slim or compact (like a desktop or HTPC), the FE will do much better than a fan design. I've got a FE 1080 in my Vive HTPC (Node 202) that does marvelously with only 30% fan speed.

Anyone who blankets a blower as bad has very little experience with the advantages of each design.

@Canonical What case do you intend to use?

My case is an S340 with an ATX mobo and 2 cases fans, although I plan to max out my slots with two 140mm intakes and one 120mm and one 140mm for exhaust, so plenty of airflow and a decently large case. I will overclock if it provides a decent benefit, ie more than just a couple FPS. I really like the aesthetics of the FE so that's why I'm strongly considering it but if it's as bad as people say it is then I probably will just opt for a FTW. If it's only slightly hotter (<10 degrees C) or slightly slower somehow (within a few FPS) then I'll opt for an FE. :)

Also I'm not buying any cards till Christmas so hopefully EVGA fixes the issues with those cards by then.

Id always buy the good looking blower over any card. always have. Did buy an open air cooler only because they didn't have any blowers that weren't pny and zotac. Put a water block on it so I don't care how many fans it has.

Most use default fan profiles and don't care how hot their card runs. They can run at the same temps, they can make the same amount of noise. I prefer that everything runs as cool as it can, not just the graphic card. Especially as I always sli and blower is better.

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

My case is an S340

I would recommend the EVGA FTW since there's enough airflow to help the cooler out. If you decide on the FE, you'll get similar performance and overclocks will be similar. Stock performance is the main difference (among others) between the different cards .

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 

1 hour ago, ARikozuM said:

Okay, thanks! So say I pick up a Founder's Edition - I should not be expecting much of a difference in terms of performance?

Thanks for the tips

Just now, Canonical said:

Okay, thanks! So say I pick up a Founder's Edition - I should not be expecting much of a difference in terms of performance?

Not as much as people would lead you to believe. The GPU core itself will stop the OC at the same points no matter what the brand or cooler is. If you want to buy a FE, EVGA's "buy-up" policy may apply to their stock in case you don't like the performance (within 30 days I think) and want to go for the FTW.

Just now, Canonical said:

Thanks for the tips

Any time.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

4 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

Not as much as people would lead you to believe. The GPU core itself will stop the OC at the same points no matter what the brand or cooler is. If you want to buy a FE, EVGA's "buy-up" policy may apply to their stock in case you don't like the performance (within 30 days I think) and want to go for the FTW.

Any time.

Sounds good! I think I'll pick up an FE and if I decide a FTW would be better I'll exchange it :) Thanks!

One more thing, what should I expect in temperature differences? That sounds like it'll be pretty much the only difference between the two

16 minutes ago, Canonical said:

Sounds good! I think I'll pick up an FE and if I decide a FTW would be better I'll exchange it :) Thanks!

One more thing, what should I expect in temperature differences? That sounds like it'll be pretty much the only difference between the two

yeah a FTW 1080 in an s340 will run much cooler...the FE will reach max temps and will trottle especially if you overclock it...FE is also a lot louder...

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

Just now, i_build_nanosuits said:

yeah a FTW 1070 in an s340 will run much cooler...the FE will reach max temps and will trottle especially if you overclock it...FE is also a lot louder...

I have heard the FE is not very loud, although that's only from YouTube videos. Also I have read about the fan curve on the FE as well, apparently you can set up a fan curve in EVGA PrecisionX (if I'm remembering the name correctly) and you can set the fan to go a bit higher so it doesn't throttle :)

19 minutes ago, Canonical said:

I'm a Jersey boy in Florida (dead of winter about 70F here and I'm still wearing jeans and a short-sleeve shirt), so if heat bothers you, go with the FTW since the air will stay in the case for a little longer whereas the blower puts it straight into your space.

5 minutes ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

yeah a FTW 1070 in an s340 will run much cooler...

Agreed, but not so much that performance will be affected as the blower pushes air over the core and out the case while a fan blows onto the core and puts the heat into the case.

the FE will reach max temps and will throttle especially if you overclock it...

No. Just no. There's a fan profile for a reason and GPU Boost 3.0 will use whatever headroom there is.

FE is also a lot louder...

The new FE blower is MUCH quieter thanks to improvements in every detail.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

I'm a Jersey boy in Florida (dead of winter about 70F here and I'm still wearing jeans and a short-sleeve shirt), so if heat bothers you, go with the FTW since the air will stay in the case for a little longer whereas the blower puts it straight into your space.

Agreed, but not so much that performance will be affected as the blower pushes air over the core and out the case while a fan blows onto the core and puts the heat into the case.

No. Just no. There's a fan profile for a reason and GPU Boost 3.0 will use whatever headroom there is.

The new FE blower is MUCH quieter thanks to improvements in every detail.

oh come on

Seems as though most don't own the card thensevles or don't get the concept of a fan. Just because youtube people who use auto profiles get cards to throttle doesn't mean actual people let their components bake and make the compromise. Use what's offered and it will perform. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

1 minute ago, Mick Naughty said:

Seems as though most don't own the card thensevles or don't get the concept of a fan. Just because youtube people who use auto profiles get cards to throttle doesn't mean actual people let their components bake and make the compromise. Use what's offered and it will perform. 

I've used many of both (mostly the green team) and performance is similar this generation in nearly every aspect.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

9 minutes ago, Mick Naughty said:

6 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

I've used many of both (mostly the green team) and performance is similar this generation in nearly every aspect.

Capture.png

FTW:

Capture.png

image.png

3 minutes ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

snip

You do realize that Jay uses an open-air test bench to test the GPU, right? Least appropriate use of a blower cooler.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

Just now, ARikozuM said:

You do realize that Jay uses an open-air test bench to test the GPU, right? Least appropriate use of a blower cooler.

You can deny the truth all day long son, but it is what it is:

Capture.png

image.png

1 minute ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

You can deny the truth all day long son, but it is what it is:

snip

Mind posting Paul's test bench?

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

Mind posting Paul's test bench?

http://www.wikinfo.org/English/index.php/Post-purchase_rationalization

2 minutes ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

And you're parroting what others say. Your point?

Also, I have a 1080 FTW so I don't see how this is relevant.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler