what card should i upgrade to ?

KeFy
Go to solution Solved by Metallus97,
Just now, Bananasplit_00 said:

not at all, the 1060 is a stronger 1080p card, only times its beten is in Vulcan and DX 12 and even then its usually not by much. there also arent too many DX 12 and Vulcan games on the market and there wont be for a while

yep but the 480 is allso enugh in 1080p

2 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

we are usiually not against AMD, we just dont recoment stuff thats bad vaue, if it was a lower budget them i would have said a 470, but seeing as a 1060 6GB has a good price here in Sweden then there is no reson to recomend the 480 in this case

ok... my bad. I did not get, that HE is in sweden... becuase in the US things would be defferent

SO: My bad xD

Buy 1060 BUT the 6G

Hi.

I have been thinking about upgrading my video card but i don´t exactly know what card to buy if i want to play games at high/max settings 60fps

(whould prefer a nvidia card since i dont really have a good experience with AMD ones)

budget around 240$

current specs

ASUS GTX 660TI

PSU Corsair 430cx (430wat)

Motherboard P8Z77-V LX2 

Just now, Matias_Chambers said:

If you have a Freesync monitor and/or you play a lot of DX12/Vulkan games then go for this instead: http://pcpartpicker.com/product/BZJkcf/powercolor-radeon-rx-480-8gb-red-devil-video-card-axrx-480-8gbd5-3dhoc

I'd say a 6GB GTX 1060 or if that's too expensive then you can go for an RX480 or cur down to a GTX 1060 3GB

Just now, YaqinHasan said:

I'd say a 6GB GTX 1060 or if that's too expensive then you can go for an RX480 or cur down to a GTX 1060 3GB

Right now in America, good 1060's are less expensive than good 480's. 

1 minute ago, KeFy said:

is the 6gig version really worth it over the 3 gig ?

since im only going to be playing at 1080p the 6 gig just seems like a waste of money ?

No, it's not the 3 GB model also has less CUDA cores if I remember correctly. 

1 minute ago, KeFy said:

is the 6gig version really worth it over the 3 gig ?

since im only going to be playing at 1080p the 6 gig just seems like a waste of money ?

And a lot of games will use 4+ GB's of VRAM. 

1 minute ago, Matias_Chambers said:

No, it's not the 3 GB model also has less CUDA cores if I remember correctly. 

yes but only a little bit so thats irellevant

and this is the main point. I have a GTX 780 with 3GB VRAM. The pure compute power is enugh. But i can see it maxing out the VRAM everytime even at 1080p... so dont do 3 GB VRAM

FOLDING MONTH 2021! GOGOGO and save on some heating costs 🙂

1 minute ago, KeFy said:

i5 3450

this CPU is fine even with stronger cards ;)

My personal recomendation would be RX 480 if you are sticking to 1080p its more than enugh. You dont need to sapend extra on the 1060

Just now, Metallus97 said:

My personal recomendation would be RX 480 if you are sticking to 1080p its more than enugh. You dont need to sapend extra on the 1060. And i know youre more a Nvidea guy... but why? Both are nice

yeah just checked prises here in sweden there is only a 10$ diffrence between the 3 and 6 gig version so then i guess the 6gig is optimal

Just now, Metallus97 said:

My personal recomendation would be RX 480 if you are sticking to 1080p its more than enugh. You dont need to sapend extra on the 1060

5 minutes ago, Matias_Chambers said:

6 minutes ago, Matias_Chambers said:

If you have a Freesync monitor and/or you play a lot of DX12/Vulkan games then go for this instead: http://pcpartpicker.com/product/BZJkcf/powercolor-radeon-rx-480-8gb-red-devil-video-card-axrx-480-8gbd5-3dhoc

6 minutes ago, Matias_Chambers said:

Whut? Here in Germany ther is a 60€ premium for the 1060 ...

U need more than 3gb, especially for the future.  You might be able to squeak by on a 4 gb 480 but I would get a 6gb 1060 or 8gb 480

2 minutes ago, Metallus97 said:

The CPU will bottleneck higher end cards at 1080p. I'm seeing threads popping up left and right about people with an i5 that have 100% CPU utilization when gaming and that their 1060/970 is getting bottlenecked even. 

Just now, TurkeyClub said:

U need more than 3gb, especially for the future.  You might be able to squeak by on a 4 gb 480 but I would get a 6gb 1060 or 8gb 480

It's worth the extra money to get a card that will be relevant for a lot longer. 

1 minute ago, Matias_Chambers said:

The CPU will bottleneck higher end cards at 1080p. I'm seeing threads popping up left and right about people with an i5 that have 100% CPU utilization when gaming and that their 1060/970 is getting bottlenecked even. 

okok it might depend on the game... but i personaly do considder those things like this: I dont care for a bottleneck IF I still have nice FPS (wich will be possible with this i5 and a 480/1060. So the nexting to upgrade in a few months then would be the cpu to "unleash" the full power from the CPU. So this is a sort of investing in the future ;). 

If he can aford it he should go with the stronger card even if its bottleneced a bit by the CPU

3 minutes ago, Lotus said:

In the US, you can find a decent 8GB RX 480 with an aftermarket cooler for $230.

https://www.amazon.com/XFX-RX-480P836BM-Radeon-3Displayport-PCI-Express/dp/B01KCWZ0DM

I can't find a 6GB 1060 anywhere close to that price.

yeh! get this XFX is not super badas but realy decent i had a XFX HD 7970 in those old days xD... 

OK this is better: https://www.amazon.com/MSI-GAMING-RX-480-4G/dp/B01KIZUF7Y/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1479656015&sr=1-1&keywords=RX+480

XFX cooler < MSI Cooler

+ it has a mail in rebate so the price is REALY fucking nice

9 minutes ago, Metallus97 said:

here in sweden i can easily find a 6gb version of the 1060 for around 220$

and as i said i dont like amd cards since they have acted weird and broken down on me in the past