I7-920 = 20 $ ?

Just now, George_Bud said:

Is a i7-920 worth 20 $ ?

For a low buget gaming pc.

In the US, they're worth more like $35-40.

I enjoy buying junk and sinking more money than it's worth into it to make it less junk.

yep good deal, i have an I5 680 and its still solid for 1080p

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Just now, aisle9 said:

In the US, they're worth more like $35-40.

I am not in US. I am in Europe. In the poor to middle range. 

I am not in US. I am in Europe. In the poor to middle range. 

No idea what it's worth in your nation. I can generally say that yes, an i7-920 is perfect for a budget gaming PC.

I enjoy buying junk and sinking more money than it's worth into it to make it less junk.

I mean yes, but motherboards are going to be expensive and potentially hard to find. Probably not the best gaming rig cpu unfortunately.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

2 minutes ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

I mean yes, but motherboards are going to be expensive and potentially hard to find. Probably not the best gaming rig cpu unfortunately.

What would be a mobo for a good price for that cpu ?

I can hardly find one where I am from.

2 minutes ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

oh yah forgot about the fact that there are litteraly no motherboards on the market ever if you dont get like an OEM board off Ebay lol, i was lucky to find myself a MSI H55-E33 in working condition...

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

1 minute ago, George_Bud said:

i paied $30 for my MSI H55-E33 which is a M-ATX board and i have seen ONE motherboard since then and that went for over $70, dont know exactly but after the bidding got up to $70 i droped out of it...

Builds:

Spoiler

5 minutes ago, George_Bud said:

Good luck finding one honestly. 150-200 dollars for a working x58 board isn't uncommon. 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ASUS-Sabertooth-X58-Intel-Socket-LGA1366-Sata-6GB-USB3-Motherboard-w-I-O-Shield-/332036116602?hash=item4d4ee5107a:g:dvkAAOSwB09YLkxY

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

1 minute ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

Good luck finding one honestly. 150-200 dollars for a working x58 board isn't uncommon. 

If it is not functioning it is ok. I can repair it. :) I know how to repair stuff because I am stingy with money.xD

If it is not functioning it is ok. I can repair it. :) I know how to repair stuff because I am stingy with money.xD

Go ahead and scour ebay. It still will probably go for 100-150 dollars even non-functional.

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

2 hours ago, George_Bud said:

Is a i7-920 worth 20 $ ?

What motherboard? You can get a Xeon e5640 that'll work on n most consumer grade LGA 1366 motherboards for $14. Thats 4 cores and eight threads at 2.6 GHz. Mine easily overlooked to 3.611ghz.

Black Knight-

Ryzen 5 5600, GIGABYTE B550M DS3H, 16Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Asrock RX 6800 XT Phantom Gaming,

Seasonic Focus GM 750, Samsung EVO 860 EVO SSD M.2, Intel 660p Series M.2 2280 1TB PCIe NVMe, Linux Mint 20.2 Cinnamon

Daughter's Rig;

MSI B450 A Pro, Ryzen 5 3600x, 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Silicon Power A55 512GB SSD, Gigabyte RX 5700 Gaming OC, Corsair CX430

2 hours ago, George_Bud said:

For a low buget gaming pc.

id say get the Xeon W3520 as they are essentially i7 920's with D0 stepping and the best part about it is that they cost only $5 on ebay and they will work on any X58 chipset motherboard as long as the board supports the i7 920 CPU with D0 stepping. then if you want some serious power get the 6 core X5650 or X5660 CPUs as they have been highly praised as a best value for money CPU due to their cheap price. great stock speed performance, and insane ability to overclock like a GOD if you pair them with an X58 motherboard. 

2 hours ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

lol i got my board for $20 at my local goodwill and it was working perfectly

"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning." -Albert Einstein

9 minutes ago, asand1 said:

What motherboard? You can get a Xeon e5640 that'll work on n most consumer grade LGA 1366 motherboards for $14. Thats 4 cores and eight threads at 2.6 GHz. Mine easily overlooked to 3.611ghz.

but the W3520 is much cheaper, only $5 on ebay plus you dont have to flash the BIOS on the X58 board to get it to work, whereas the Westmere 32nm chips require a BIOS update in order to work on most X58 boards. Dont get me wrong, $14 for a 4 core 8 thread CPU on 32nm is one hell of a deal but he still would need either a i7 920 or W3520 in order to update the BIOS first for the e5640 to work and at that point might as well buy a W3520 for $5 flash the BIOS to the lastest revision, then upgrade to the 6 core X5650 or X5660 and those CPUs overclock like GODS and performance when overclocked is absolutely insane value for money. 

"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning." -Albert Einstein

I'm running an x5680on a Sabertooth x58 right now with no bios flash. However, the previous owner may have.

Black Knight-

Ryzen 5 5600, GIGABYTE B550M DS3H, 16Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Asrock RX 6800 XT Phantom Gaming,

Seasonic Focus GM 750, Samsung EVO 860 EVO SSD M.2, Intel 660p Series M.2 2280 1TB PCIe NVMe, Linux Mint 20.2 Cinnamon

Daughter's Rig;

MSI B450 A Pro, Ryzen 5 3600x, 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Silicon Power A55 512GB SSD, Gigabyte RX 5700 Gaming OC, Corsair CX430