Zen Rumour to be released Jan 17

Devin92
3 minutes ago, goodtofufriday said:

While I do believe 300 is a bit far fetched, i think AMD is going to severely undercut Intel with these first gen Zen cpus. Then after that, when Zen+ come out, the price difference between amd and intel will equalize. 

I guess we'll just have to wait and see. Not much longer now. :)

I just hate it when rumors galore says 6900K perf for $300, then it launches at $750 and people are pissed. Just not fair to AMD. A lot of people take it and run with it.

CPU: Intel Core i7 7820X Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H110i GTX Mobo: MSI X299 Gaming Pro Carbon AC RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 (3000MHz/16GB 2x8) SSD: 2x Samsung 850 Evo (250/250GB) + Samsung 850 Pro (512GB) GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE (W/ EVGA Hybrid Kit) Case: Corsair Graphite Series 760T (Black) PSU: SeaSonic Platinum Series (860W) Monitor: Acer Predator XB241YU (165Hz / G-Sync) Fan Controller: NZXT Sentry Mix 2 Case Fans: Intake - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Radiator - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Rear Exhaust - 1x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000 PWM

22 minutes ago, VagabondWraith said:

-snip-

You don't understand how much these cost to make, Bulldozer is a very big chip on 32nm, so you don't get much out of a single wafer, yet they sell it for as cheap as £130. Selling at £300 would more than double selling price, that combined with that they can get much more per wafer is still setting them up for a healthy profit. 

Pixelbook Go i5 Pixel 4 XL 

xd1zzfxfkbyx.png

Well if this is even a little true, we are talking quite a chip. Yes the IPC will be lower than Skylake, but since the core count is higher, and all chips have SMT (hyperthreading), it looks like ZEN will smack the entire z170 series of chips. Do remember the SR7 is focused more towards the -E processors on the X99 platform. But if a high clocked ( I guess the "special" SR7 is high binned) SR7 can beat a Broadwell-E 6 core, it doesn't matter if the SR7 is 8 core, as long as it is cheaper (which it seems to be).

Either way, AMD is going to be competitive again. I mean they will release a chip that can go head to head with a Broadwell-E on an X99 platform. 6900K and 6950X are hardly relevant for anything anyways, so as long as price to performance matches Intel, I'll say Intel's bloated prices will deflate faster than the penis of a man meeting a third wave feminazi.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

58 minutes ago, DrMikeNZ said:

If all of the rumours are true and the 8C/16T Zen performs similarly to my 6900K, is $300 and can overclock to 4.2GHz, then I will be getting quite a few of these chips.

Reasons why you would be getting a few of these chips?

Strike the shepherd and the sheep will scatter.

18 minutes ago, VagabondWraith said:

I just hate it when rumors galore says 6900K perf for $300, then it launches at $750 and people are pissed. Just not fair to AMD. A lot of people take it and run with it.

$750 for 8 cores 16 threads that match Haswell-E performance would still be a fairly good deal vs intel current offerings.

-------

Current Rig

-------

4 minutes ago, Citadelen said:

You don't understand how much these cost to make, Bulldozer is a very big chip on 32nm, so you don't get much out of a single wafer, yet they sell it for as cheap as £130. Selling at £300 would more than double selling price, that combined with that they can get much more per wafer is still setting them up for a healthy profit. 

Do you think the 8c/16t amd cpu priced at $300 will be a steal?

Just now, IAEInferno said:

Reasons why you would be getting a few of these chips?

I have a few aging systems that are in need of replacement and upgrade.

14 minutes ago, Citadelen said:

But there's also R&D, the bulk of which for Bulldozer was long enough ago that its portion of the marginal cost of each chip is very low, and yields, which decrease with process node.

The BOM cost of each chip is stupidly low, but an absurd amount of money goes into designing the things and setting up manufacturing. Neither steppers nor engineers are cheap.

"Do as I say, not as I do."

-Because you actually care if it makes sense.

Jim Keller has already moved on from AMD.......this is a final hail mary play on their part to have a one off generation and hopefully make enough money to fund their future cpu generations that I am betting they have ZERO plans/goals for yet.

I built an fx-8320 in early 2013.....I was underwhelmed with the performance from day one, 8 pure cores of lag. The mobo finally died and I replaced it with a junkrat i5-2320 build with a chip from ebay. Plays my games good enough for now.

1 hour ago, VagabondWraith said:

Like when rumors said RX 480 would hit Fury performance, then it didn't and came out between the 290 and 390. And people thought it was terrible just because it didn't hit a stupid rumor.

You know what, I'm gonna call it right now. The 4C/8T Zen will cost $25 and reach 5GHz overclocks on air.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

1 minute ago, yurimodin83 said:

-snip-

I don't think they're in real financial trouble, if they were they'd be dead by now.

And are you really judging how Zen'll turn out based on an 8320?

2 minutes ago, Dash Lambda said:

I don't think they're in real financial trouble, if they were they'd be dead by now.

And are you really judging how Zen'll turn out based on an 8320?

Yup I sure am.....IPC of the FX chips is the same as their last generation phenoms so we have to assume by history that their next chip is at least as good as their last/current one. I am waiting to see what their "gains" are when real testers like linus and others get them in hand.

My bigger concern with them is I dont think they have any plans for the future.....this is a case of "release it and see what happens" then go from there.

OK, not trying to be pedantic here, but the title

Zen Rumour to be released Jan 17

Makes it sound like there will be a zen rumour released on Jan 17th.

Might want to re title it something like

Rumour that Zen will be released Jan 17th

Instead.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

3 minutes ago, yurimodin83 said:

Yup I sure am.....IPC of the FX chips is the same as their last generation phenoms so we have to assume by history that their next chip is at least as good as their last/current one. I am waiting to see what their "gains" are when real testers like linus and others get them in hand.

My bigger concern with them is I dont think they have any plans for the future.....this is a case of "release it and see what happens" then go from there.

It would be very difficult for them to not make Zen substantially more powerful than their previous architectures. If they've spent this much time on it, and teased it so much, and it ends up being an incremental improvement on Bulldozer, then we can only conclude that they've employed finger-painting children to draw up schematics rather than engineers.

And this really doesn't look like a last-ditch effort to me. It looks like an attempt to re-enter a market. A last-ditch effort would imply they're likely to fail and disappear, and I'm not even sure if that would legally work.

1 hour ago, Notional said:

xd1zzfxfkbyx.png

Well if this is even a little true, we are talking quite a chip. Yes the IPC will be lower than Skylake, but since the core count is higher, and all chips have SMT (hyperthreading), it looks like ZEN will smack the entire z170 series of chips. Do remember the SR7 is focused more towards the -E processors on the X99 platform. But if a high clocked ( I guess the "special" SR7 is high binned) SR7 can beat a Broadwell-E 6 core, it doesn't matter if the SR7 is 8 core, as long as it is cheaper (which it seems to be).

Either way, AMD is going to be competitive again. I mean they will release a chip that can go head to head with a Broadwell-E on an X99 platform. 6900K and 6950X are hardly relevant for anything anyways, so as long as price to performance matches Intel, I'll say Intel's bloated prices will deflate faster than the penis of a man meeting a third wave feminazi.

That Special Zen SR7 makes me curious to why it is "Special".

12 minutes ago, Dash Lambda said:

It would be very difficult for them to not make Zen substantially more powerful than their previous architectures. If they've spent this much time on it, and teased it so much, and it ends up being an incremental improvement on Bulldozer, then we can only conclude that they've employed finger-painting children to draw up schematics rather than engineers.

True

12 minutes ago, Dash Lambda said:

And this really doesn't look like a last-ditch effort to me. It looks like an attempt to re-enter a market. A last-ditch effort would imply they're likely to fail and disappear, and I'm not even sure if that would legally work.

Can't it be both?  It's their attempt to re-enter the market, because if they don't they will go away xD 

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

38 minutes ago, yurimodin83 said:

IPC of the FX chips is the same as their last generation phenoms

Ermmm...you mean worse IPC than phenoms 2 right? :/ 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

hexus.net just reported the prices but with the source they provided, I managed to spot some info they didn't report or lack precision. Chinese ftw.

-High-end Zen CPU 8-cores might have their prices north of 1500 Yuan which is about ~220USD. These are probably the SR7 chips

- After optimization from AMD, the 8 cores 16 thread processors have now reach a base clock of 3.15Ghz, turbo boost of 3.3Ghz.

-AMD will cherry pick OC variants which will have unlocked and better overclockability with a TDP maintained at 95W.

- Some users in foreign forums have obtained an engineering sample of the 8 core Zen CPU. It is said to be capable of a stable overclock 4.2GHz with a voltage of 1.5 V on air cooling. The overclock can be bump up to 5 GHz with LN2 cooling.

- The 8 cores 16 threads Zen cpu could be selling between 1500-2000 Yuan. ( ~220USD- 290 USD). Its performance can stand toe-to-toe with an I7-6850K, which cost more than 3000 Yuan (~435 USD)

- Zen cpus should be finished before March of next year.

-In China, AMD have chosen MAXSUN as one of its core partners to develop its B350 and X370 motherboards. (They are already in the works!)

- MAXSUN said that it would part of the first wave of release AM4 platform both in the chinese market and the global market.

- MAXSUN have stated that if the AM4 platform is a success , it will literally shuffle the market.

Sources:
http://hexus.net/…/99400-amd-zen-chips-debut-17th-january-…/

http://tieba.baidu.com/p/4864984399?pn=1

4 hours ago, DrMikeNZ said:

If all of the rumours are true and the 8C/16T Zen performs similarly to my 6900K

Well, in applications that use fewer threads, it might be similar to a 6900k

But for for example Star Citizen (when it comes out) it'd wreck it, since it marks the beginning of games that'll actually use as many threads as you have.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

2 hours ago, yurimodin83 said:

Yup I sure am.....IPC of the FX chips is the same as their last generation phenoms

And IPC of Haswell was 7.2% better than Ivy Bridge while losing 15% overclocking headroom... Your point?

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

3 hours ago, yurimodin83 said:

Jim Keller has already moved on from AMD.......this is a final hail mary play on their part to have a one off generation and hopefully make enough money to fund their future cpu generations that I am betting they have ZERO plans/goals for yet.

I built an fx-8320 in early 2013.....I was underwhelmed with the performance from day one, 8 pure cores of lag. The mobo finally died and I replaced it with a junkrat i5-2320 build with a chip from ebay. Plays my games good enough for now.

" 8 pure cores of lag". Correction 4 pure modules of lag.

1 hour ago, Demonking said:

" 8 pure cores of lag". Correction 4 pure modules of lag.

lol no kidding right xD

8 hours ago, dizmo said:

That's sort of (is) completely unrelated.

Were you not expressing disappointment in AMD's overclocking abilities? because Intel's 4th gen really disappointed me...

This would show even more similarity to Intel's 4000 series.

I'd just like Zen to be something AMD puts out that can finally retire an Intel 2500k I gave to my girlfriend. After being impatient for AMD to wow me and the constant delays, I got a 6700k system and the lady has my 2nd gen i5. Maybe I'll have a reason to upgrade that system.