URGENT HELP NEEDED Comparing Toshiba c655D vs a Dell Inspiron 1545

animewolfkid

HELP NEEDED SORRY FOR LONG MESSAGE BUT EXPLANATION IS NEEDED TO UNDERSTAND THE QUESTIONS.

I have a toshiba c655 laptop that I use for school and recently the hard drive went out and when it did the fan on the computer just started going nuts as well making way too much noise. I fixed the hard drive and reinstalled windows thinking it may fix it and it has not, I then blew it out with compressed air to see if it stopped and it had no effect I wound up taking apart the entire laptop to get to the freaking fan and when i pulled it out and blew on it I could hear the sound like a bearing had went out however I am pretty sure this fan does not have a bearing.

The sound is extremely loud and I need to take the laptop to class and its to loud to take. I have not found a hot fix or anything like that if you know a way to stop it or check to see if the voltage to the fan was ramped up somehow then please tell me =].

I was given a dell inspiron 1545 recently but it is kind of slow I am not sure if it is just the hard drive or the actual specs of the computer which I have just started getting into specs so I am looking for information on if the inspiron would be better or pretty much the same performance as the toshiba.

The toshiba c655D has a AMD Anthlon II P340 Dual-Core 2.20 GHz and 3.0 GB (2.74 GB usable) memory with 64 bit operating system.

The Dell inspiron 1545 has Pentium ® Dual-Core CPU T4500 @2.30 Ghz and 4.0 GB installed RAM. with 64 bit operating system.

If someone out there can let me know which is better or how these to compare that would be great or any info on the fan as well. The hard drive I will be using will be from the toshiba I have an additional post related to switching this harddrive between these two and it seems to be a viable idea but the hard drive I want to use is in a

[h=1]WD Scorpio Black 500 GB SATA 7200 RPM 16 MB Cache Bulk/OEM 2.5" Mobile Hard Drive (WD5000BPKT)[/h]

I beleive the dell may be faster using this hard drive vs the Samsung HM321HI that is currently in it. If you know if this hard drive could cause the dell to run slow because by just using it so far it seems alot slower than the toshiba but the hard drive is not that much, or fast. Thus I reach out for any help with this that I can recieve.

• 1 year later...

Hi there! I would say the CPUs are about equal (and if anything, the Pentium is a bit better). Also, I doubt that there is enough of a difference between the HDDs to justify the slowness of the Dell.

The Samsung HDD might be old or broken though and that's what may be the problem. Scan it for bad sectors or do a speedtest of both HDDs using CrystalDiskMark (it's free). If you notice a significant difference in speed or you find that it has bad sectors then the HDD is the problem. In any case, try replacing it as you've said.

Did you do a clean install of Windows (or whatever OS you're using)? Because if not, the lag might be caused by bloatware.

If you need any info on CPUs, use cpuboss.com. That's where I compared your CPUs (actually, they didn't have the 2.2GHz Athlon but the 2.1GHz one, but the difference shouldn't be noticeable).

People who plug their computer keyboards into hi-fi systems aren't idiots - that would be stereotyping.