AMP & DAC for HD 6XX and DT 770 Pro

Shaqalac

Hi LTT

I was lucky enough to get my hands on a pair of HD 6XX but I need an AMP to drive them. I've been looking at the Schiit stack for quite some time but I'm not sure if this is where I'll get the most for my money. Really like the industrial design of them as well.

What do LTT recommend?

I've taken a look at this recommendation thread and so far I'm considering the Schiit stack or a O2 ODAC.

I've summarised my headphones and their specs underneath:

Sennheiser HD6xx 300Ω
        Max. output impedance of AMP:             300/8 = 37Ω
        Sensitivity:                             103 dB/mW
        Power needed from AMP to reach 110 dB:    5.04 mW
    Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro 80Ω
        Max. output impedance of AMP:            80/8 = 10Ω
        Sensitivity:                             96 dB/mW            
        Power needed from AMP to reach 110 dB    25.21 mW

NAS build log: Gimli, a NAS build by Shaqalac.

Mechanical keyboards: Ducky Mini YotH - Ducky Mini

If you can afford it the Schiit Jotunheim will be able too handle almost anything,

ah yes my post.

The HD6xx is a massdrop version of the HD650 and the HD650 really likes a tube amp, there are some people that like a SS amp (solid state) with them, but most seem to prefer a tube amp.

Don't look at the ohm too much, that thing only counts for about 5%, the sensitivity of the driver counts for about 95%.

So this means that if you can power the DT 770 with your onboard, then you can power the HD6xx, but as I said the HD6xx likes tube amps.

So I would get a Vali 2 and if you really want a DAC then the modi 2.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

3 hours ago, Dackzy said:

ah yes my post.

The HD6xx is a massdrop version of the HD650 and the HD650 really likes a tube amp, there are some people that like a SS amp (solid state) with them, but most seem to prefer a tube amp.

Don't look at the ohm too much, that thing only counts for about 5%, the sensitivity of the driver counts for about 95%.

So this means that if you can power the DT 770 with your onboard, then you can power the HD6xx, but as I said the HD6xx likes tube amps.

I just got an HD600 in the mail today. I'm thinking about a Bottlehead Crack for them, as that's supposed to be one of the best sounding tube amps with the HD600/650.

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I'm supposedly a person on the Internet, but you'll never know if I'm human or not ;)

2 hours ago, KaminKevCrew said:

I just got an HD600 in the mail today. I'm thinking about a Bottlehead Crack for them, as that's supposed to be one of the best sounding tube amps with the HD600/650.

Historically and preferentially, yes. I hear it is an amp that sounds like warmed over yesterday, so it's not for everyone or every headphone.

For the OP, I would start with the Vali 2 and also end with it. Roll a maximum of two additional tubes if you want to fiddle with the sound.

1 minute ago, SSL said:

Historically and preferentially, yes. I hear it is an amp that sounds like warmed over yesterday, so it's not for everyone or every headphone.

For the OP, I would start with the Vali 2 and also end with it. Roll a maximum of two additional tubes if you want to fiddle with the sound.

Yeah, definitely. Not to mention, you actually have to build the crack, which is out of a lot of people's comfort zones.

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I'm supposedly a person on the Internet, but you'll never know if I'm human or not ;)

10 hours ago, Smoka said:

If you can afford it the Schiit Jotunheim will be able too handle almost anything,

It it tempting and looks really good. It is however beyond my price range at the moment.

9 hours ago, Dackzy said:

ah yes my post.

Would the DAC be necessary at all? If not how would I connect the Vali 2 to my MBP in the best way?

3 hours ago, SSL said:

If I were to buy a Vali 2 it would be my first tube AMP. From the replies in this thread is sounds like tube is preferred for the HD6XX, is the difference really that big compared to an SS AMP, like the Magni 2 or the Asgard 2 (which I'm also considering)

4 minutes ago, Shaqalac said:

If I were to buy a Vali 2 it would be my first tube AMP. From the replies in this thread is sounds like tube is preferred for the HD6XX, is the difference really that big compared to an SS AMP, like the Magni 2 or the Asgard 2 (which I'm also considering)

I wouldn't consider the Asgard 2 over the Vali 2. It costs more for no real benefit.

A tube amp can make a difference, but it depends on the tube. Normally I would say that a Magni 2 would be fine, but given you have a good headphone already, I think it's worth spending a little extra on an amp that punches well above it's weight. Kind of like these headphones do.

2 hours ago, Shaqalac said:

It it tempting and looks really good. It is however beyond my price range at the moment.

Would the DAC be necessary at all? If not how would I connect the Vali 2 to my MBP in the best way?

I have no idea how good a MBP's onboard is, for now just get a amp.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

8 hours ago, KaminKevCrew said:

ah yes, I have been debating if I should put that one on the recommendation list. It is a very warm sounding amp from what I have heard and you need to put it together yourself, which leads me to believe it isn't the best amp to recommend for this forum.

8 hours ago, SSL said:

How about the Valhalla 2? I feel like it might be worth the investment but I'm not sure about how well it'd be for the HD6xx.

Personally I'm having no issues with my Magni 2U/Modi 2U combo for my HD650s.  Decided to skip tubes this time for time, sanity, and money.  HiFiMAN EF2A just didn't cut it in the end for me for various reasons.  

As for things that jive with the HD650... I've heard Bottlehead Crack makes em shine.  Little Dot is fairly well regarded, but last I checked their buying process is Nigerian prince scam levels of shady to me.  Then again I don't remember anyone having issues with buying or customer support there.  Next step up nets you the likes of Woo Audio which is nice, but dem prices. 

Overall, I'd recommend some good Schiit.  Excellent warranty, community engagement, high quality, and more or less built in the USA. 

3 hours ago, Monte_Carlo said:

more or less built in the USA. 

All of the Schiit gear is almost entirely manufactured and assembled in the USA. The only less there would be the wall warts for their lower end products, and things like caps, which aren't even really made in the US. Not sure what you're on about there...

6 hours ago, Dackzy said:

ah yes, I have been debating if I should put that one on the recommendation list. It is a very warm sounding amp from what I have heard and you need to put it together yourself, which leads me to believe it isn't the best amp to recommend for this forum.

Yeah. Although we do have a hobby electronics section now! If I do buy one, I'll post a build thread there or something, see if anyone is interested. If we get a few people that are curious, then it might be worth adding.

Hey! New SIgnature! 

3 minutes ago, KaminKevCrew said:

Yeah. Although we do have a hobby electronics section now! If I do buy one, I'll post a build thread there or something, see if anyone is interested. If we get a few people that are curious, then it might be worth adding.

If you do that then I will put it on the recommendation list and link to your "how to build"

2 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

If you do that then I will put it on the recommendation list and link to your "how to build"

Sounds good!

Hey! New SIgnature! 

10 hours ago, SSL said:

I wouldn't consider the Asgard 2 over the Vali 2. It costs more for no real benefit.

A tube amp can make a difference, but it depends on the tube. Normally I would say that a Magni 2 would be fine, but given you have a good headphone already, I think it's worth spending a little extra on an amp that punches well above it's weight. Kind of like these headphones do.

I've also been convinced elsewhere that I shouldn't get the Asgard 2.

I've watched Z Reviews's review of the Vali 2 and from him it sounds like the Vali 2 doesn't sound that much different from SS amps. Don't know if the guy's opinion is worth a thing though. 

1 hour ago, KaminKevCrew said:

All of the Schiit gear is almost entirely manufactured and assembled in the USA. The only less there would be the wall warts for their lower end products, and things like caps, which aren't even really made in the US. Not sure what you're on about there...

I think you've clarified it for yourself quite nicely.  The fact they still outsource peripheral components from China would count as "more or less" in my books. 

To quote Schiit from their FAQ.

"Well, hell, all your parts are probably Chinese anyway, right?

Um, no. The majority of our parts, on a total cost basis, come from right here in the USA, from companies manufacturing their products in the USA. Most other parts are bought from US-based companies, but are manufactured all over the world. Notable exceptions are Valhalla’s tubes (Russia), and the Alps Blue Velvet pots (Japan.)"

Just to pedantic as all hell.  It appears the caps they use are manufactured in Japan... or the company that makes em is based there.  Fun stuff.  Makes me like the products even more.  

On a related note.  If you have any skill with building electronics or tinkering.  The Bottlehead Crack might up up OP's alley.  From what I've heard, they have a fairly excellent build guide, decent community, and you can mod it to hell and back with both factory supported options, and fairly crazy ideas like integrating Russian military surplus caps.  

1 hour ago, Shaqalac said:

I've watched Z Reviews's review of the Vali 2 and from him it sounds like the Vali 2 doesn't sound that much different from SS amps. Don't know if the guy's opinion is worth a thing though. 

"Zeos" is a bad joke. Not going to get into details about the bad part here.

6 hours ago, Monte_Carlo said:

Little Dot is fairly well regarded

But unfortunately the people by whom they are well regarded are not themselves well regarded.

50 minutes ago, SSL said:

"Zeos" is a bad joke. Not going to get into details about the bad part here.

But unfortunately the people by whom they are well regarded are not themselves well regarded.

Scalding.

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I've used the HD650s with the O2 combo and the Audio-gd NFB-11 and preferred the NFB-11 by far over the O2 combo. It just kicked ass with those headphones while the O2 just sounded dull in comparison.

i7 4790K @ 4,6GHz | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | 16GB 2400MHz DDR3 | Corsair AX760 | Win 10 | Acer Predator X34A

Running HD 650s and I have a Magni 2 (non-uber) and a Vali 2. Cant say I really heard big difference between the two using the stock tube I got in my Vali 2, not that its a bad thing they both sound great and kinda what I was expecting. So kinda agree with Zeos on the amp when using the stock tube. But who sticks with the stock tubes? Thats no fun and new tubs will let you change the sound as you like (I'm currently looking at either a Gold Lion 6922 or a Reflector 6922 and burning-in a EH-6CG7)  

So it may start out sounding similar to a SS, but will end in a much better place.

Now I just need my damn Crack+Speedball to show up. THE ITCH HAS GOT ME!!!