Cryorig R1 Universal or Noctua NHD-15s

Mega Gardevoir

I have been looking to upgrade my CPU cooler and was wondering which one I should get I have chose these two because they have great cooling for overclocking and I don't have to buy low profile ram. I was wondering which one is quieter and which one offers better temps?

I like the D15S because it clears RAM really well for a huge as fuck air cooler.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

AFAIK the Cryorig performs slightly better while slightly louder except it also looks a lot better imo.

The Cryorig R1 Universal has dual fans, so it's more comparable to the NH-D15 (dual fans), than the NH-D15s (single fan).

The R1 Universal looks a lot leaner, overall. I would guess that the NH-D15 cools a lot better, due to wider aluminum fin-towers, and wider fan-blades.

Edit: Actually, the R1 looks like it has dual fin-towers x2. I just noticed that there are black and silver ones. So maybe it's better?

The Noctua NH-D15 has a low-power mode, which causes the fans to be more silent. I use it with my 4.6 Ghz OC of a 2600K ~1.41v under 100% load, and it still keeps max temperatures around 66 -69C, and is not that loud.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

On 11/15/2016 at 9:13 PM, Delicieuxz said:

The Noctua NH-D15 has a low-power mode, which causes the fans to be more silent. I use it with my 4.6 Ghz OC of a 2600K ~1.41v under 100% load, and it still keeps max temperatures around 66 -69C, and is not that loud.

I'm not sure what you're referring to with 'low power mode' but I can assure that there is no such thing. If you mean that the fan speeds can be lowered and that resistors are included, that can be said with just about any fans.

The NH-D15S is much quieter and the better option if you want a quiet cooler. Otherwise, the R1 Universal slightly wins out in performance due to the two fans.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

2 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

I'm not sure what you're referring to with 'low power mode' but I can assure that there is no such thing. If you mean that the fan speeds can be lowered and that resistors are included, that can be said with just about any fans.

The NH-D15S is much quieter and the better option if you want a quiet cooler. Otherwise, the R1 Universal slightly wins out in performance due to the two fans.

Yes, the cable-extensions would work for any fan, but I know that they're included with the DH-15. That's what I was referring to.

The Noctua NH-D15 comes with "low-noise adapter" power-cable extensions for the fans that make the DS-15 use slower RPM for more silent operation. When I used them, I had to change my BIOS CPU-fan warning level, because the NH-D15 fans were spinning at slower speeds than the BIOS by default allows. Even with the low-speed adapters, my CPU is still cooled to the temperatures I reported.

low-noise adapter DH-15.jpg

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987