Does motherboard TDP matter that much?

Long story short I bought a mini itx 1155 board for a really good price for an HTPC build, what I didn't notice is that the board per the specs is rated for 65 watt TDP chips while the chip itself is 77.

Is this a big deal or no?

Depends, it's mainly there to recommend a lower power chip so that the VRMs don't overheat. As long as you aren't running super heavy tasks, it should be fine.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

3 minutes ago, DeadEyePsycho said:

Depends, it's mainly there to recommend a lower power chip so that the VRMs don't overheat. As long as you aren't running super heavy tasks, it should be fine.

I'll also be running a pretty significant top down cooler.

And nah the only tasks it'll be running are some games.

9 minutes ago, TheAmazingCookieFromSquare said:

no

Clearly you have not seen the videos of putting a FX9590 in the AMD motherboards that are not rated for 220W.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

1 minute ago, Enderman said:

Clearly you have not seen the videos of putting a FX9590 in the AMD motherboards that are not rated for 220W.

I'm sure he's saying no as in my situation with a very small TDP difference.

4 minutes ago, Brian McKee said:

I'm sure he's saying no as in my situation with a very small TDP difference.

How about actually telling what motherboard and CPU it is so people can check if it has caught fire before in this configuration?

Or would you rather test that out yourself? :)

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

26 minutes ago, Brian McKee said:

Long story short I bought a mini itx 1155 board for a really good price for an HTPC build, what I didn't notice is that the board per the specs is rated for 65 watt TDP chips while the chip itself is 77.

Is this a big deal or no?

YES, it means that the vrms will most likely overheat and will probabbly fail.

•E5-2670 @2.7GHz • Intel DX79SI • EVGA 970 SSC• GSkill Sniper 8Gb ddr3 • Corsair Spec 02 • Corsair RM750 • HyperX 120Gb SSD • Hitachi 2Tb HDD •

28 minutes ago, Enderman said:

How about actually telling what motherboard and CPU it is so people can check if it has caught fire before in this configuration?

Or would you rather test that out yourself? :)

No need to be rude.

Anyways the CPU is the 3570k and the motherboard is https://www.amazon.com/Intel-BOXDH67CFB3-DH67CFB3-Mini-ITX-DDR3-1333/dp/B004UC3T0W

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813121507

2 minutes ago, Brian McKee said:

No need to be rude.

???

How?

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, Enderman said:

???

How?

Maybe you don't realize it but the way you wrote that seemed pretty rude. From my perspective anyways.

6 minutes ago, Brian McKee said:

Maybe you don't realize it but the way you wrote that seemed pretty rude. From my perspective anyways.

I think you're reading too much into this....

Calm down a bit, nobody is trying to be rude.

Spoiler

Just now, Enderman said:

I think you're reading too much into this....

Calm down a bit, nobody is trying to be rude.

lol whatever

16 minutes ago, Brian McKee said:

H67 board and an unlocked processor :I

Since it's one on Intel's own junk boards it's probably best to take their word for it. Can't see that being up to much. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

1 minute ago, DildorTheDecent said:

H67 board and an unlocked processor :I

Since it's one on Intel's own junk boards it's probably best to take their word for it. Can't see that being up to much. 

The problem is returning the board at this point would probably cost about as much as I paid for it so I don't know if it's worth it.

Also yeah it's an unlocked chip but that's what I have because my brother gave me his, not that I'd be overclocking anyways (I'd actually be undervolting) because my house gets very hot here since the AC sucks.

1 minute ago, Brian McKee said:

The problem is returning the board at this point would probably cost about as much as I paid for it so I don't know if it's worth it.

Also yeah it's an unlocked chip but that's what I have because my brother gave me his, not that I'd be overclocking anyways (I'd actually be undervolting) because my house gets very hot here since the AC sucks.

That's a shame about the processor situation. 

It's either that board or the H77 equivalent (sort of them same anyway) where the chipset heatsink gets quite toasty anyway. So enjoy the sauna.

If the board explodes with the 3570K in it, then it doesn't work. If it does work then that's great i guess. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

6 minutes ago, DildorTheDecent said:

That's a shame about the processor situation. 

It's either that board or the H77 equivalent (sort of them same anyway) where the chipset heatsink gets quite toasty anyway. So enjoy the sauna.

If the board explodes with the 3570K in it, then it doesn't work. If it does work then that's great i guess. 

Would the 3570k really be at risk? I guess I could just run the 3570k lightly till I could replace it with an i3.

6 minutes ago, Brian McKee said:

Would the 3570k really be at risk? I guess I could just run the 3570k lightly till I could replace it with an i3.

3570K isn't the issue. Board is. 

VRM would probably struggle under high load. 

Might want to check if that board has a Ivy Bridge BIOS update. 

1 minute ago, DildorTheDecent said:

3570K isn't the issue. Board is. 

VRM would probably struggle under high load. 

Might want to check if that board has a Ivy Bridge BIOS update. 

The deal was really good so if the board dies in like 6 months I wouldn't be that sad about it, I'd only be concerned about the components themselves.

Please send the board back and get a better one. The board is incredibly poo and I would put a celeron in it at most. 

A nice used h77 or z77 board is a way way better option. 

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

4 minutes ago, Jumper118 said:

Please send the board back and get a better one. The board is incredibly poo and I would put a celeron in it at most. 

A nice used h77 or z77 board is a way way better option. 

Unfortunately the seller shipped it so fast I can't really stop them. And their return policy is poo.

Let's see if I can break it in 15 days or not (joking).

3 minutes ago, Brian McKee said:

The deal was really good so if the board dies in like 6 months I wouldn't be that sad about it, I'd only be concerned about the components themselves.

AT least put some sort of heatsinks on the vrms, and possibly a fan, if you want a chance of it living.

•E5-2670 @2.7GHz • Intel DX79SI • EVGA 970 SSC• GSkill Sniper 8Gb ddr3 • Corsair Spec 02 • Corsair RM750 • HyperX 120Gb SSD • Hitachi 2Tb HDD •

1 minute ago, SLAYR said:

AT least put some sort of heatsinks on the vrms, and possibly a fan, if you want a chance of it living.

Maybe those mini heatsinks linus had eh? The case will be decently cooled as well, I'll be using the coolermaster elite 130

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DJ6A88G/ref=psdc_572238_t2_B00U8IS89E?th=1