Does motherboard TDP matter that much?

5 minutes ago, Brian McKee said:

Unfortunately the seller shipped it so fast I can't really stop them. And their return policy is poo.

Let's see if I can break it in 15 days or not (joking).

They should let you return it within a week just say you ordered the wrong one. 

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

Just now, Jumper118 said:

They should let you return it within a week just say you ordered the wrong one. 

They're going to have me ship it and pay a restocking fee, I will have basically just paid for nothing at that point, I might get 10 dollars back after all is said and done.

1 minute ago, Brian McKee said:

They're going to have me ship it and pay a restocking fee, I will have basically just paid for nothing at that point, I might get 10 dollars back after all is said and done.

$10 is better than a dead cpu and mobo :D

Rig Specs:

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

1 minute ago, Jumper118 said:

$10 is better than a dead cpu and mobo :D

Why would the CPU even be at risk? I've heard of PSU failure killing components but not motherboard.

I'm having a difficult time understanding this.

Why would the CPU even be at risk? I've heard of PSU failure killing components but not motherboard.

I'm having a difficult time understanding this.

The VRM is feeding the cpu power.  When the VRM overheats and shorts it could give your cpu 12v and that would be a very dead cpu. 

Rig Specs:

Asus Zenith III Extreme

7 minutes ago, Jumper118 said:

The VRM is feeding the cpu power.  When the VRM overheats and shorts it could give your cpu 12v and that would be a very dead cpu. 

Ok that's fair, maybe I'll get lucky and the board is DOA.

2 hours ago, Enderman said:

How about actually telling what motherboard and CPU it is so people can check if it has caught fire before in this configuration?

Or would you rather test that out yourself? :)

I have exaly tested a FX9590 pinned at 5.0GHz on my Asus M5A97 EVO R2.0 mobo without any issues.

Prime95 extended tests etc etc.

This board is basicly rated for cpu upto 125W tdp.

So as long as the vrm implementation is capable enough it wont matter that much.

The mosfets on my board did ofc run a bit hotter then with my FX8350 measured with thermal laser.

But the mosfets temps were still way within their safety margins.

But given the fact that Msi am3+ boards are garbage, then there you go. :)

1 hour ago, Brian McKee said:

I have that CPU. Not overclocked on my ROG Maximus V Formula VRM's can get up to the 30°C's only, maybe 40°C but that board look's like it has no VRM heatsinks, so I would advise disabling turbo boost and limiting the amount of time the chip may exceed the TDP limit. 

Yours faithfully

14 minutes ago, Lord Nicoll said:

I have that CPU. Not overclocked on my ROG Maximus V Formula VRM's can get up to the 30°C's only, maybe 40°C but that board look's like it has no VRM heatsinks, so I would advise disabling turbo boost and limiting the amount of time the chip may exceed the TDP limit. 

Would something like https://www.amazon.com/Super-Power-Supply®-15x13x6mm-15mmx13mmx6mm/dp/B00S6YOE5O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1479169584&sr=8-1&keywords=Thermal+Adhesive+Backed+Heatsink help with the temps?

You will be fine with that cpu on the motherboard.

If you have a nice airflow inside the case, it shouldnt be much of a issue.

Just now, Sintezza said:

You will be fine with that cpu on the motherboard.

If you have a nice airflow inside the case, it shouldnt be much of a issue.

Ok, i'll still be careful not to keep prime 95 running 24/7.

Just now, Brian McKee said:

Ok, i'll still be careful not to keep prime 95 running 24/7.

And if you prefer heatsinks on your mosfets, then you could allways buy a bunge of aftermarket ones and put those on with a thermal pad.

Just now, Sintezza said:

And if you prefer heatsinks on your mosfets, then you could allways buy a bunge of aftermarket ones and put those on with a thermal pad.

Maybe I'll do that once I get a bit of extra money, just for peace of mind.

4 minutes ago, Brian McKee said:

Well the mosfets looks like they're in a TO-220-like package (can't see them from promo shots) so they won't help all that much. Given the chip often exceeds the 77 watt TDP (depending on bios settings) I'd keep an eye on it. You'll only know when it fucks up. 

Yours faithfully

Just now, Lord Nicoll said:

Well the mosfets looks like they're in a TO-220-like package (can't see them from promo shots) so they won't help all that much. Given the chip often exceeds the 77 watt TDP (depending on bios settings) I'd keep an eye on it. You'll only know when it fucks up. 

Like what should I be looking for, forced shutdowns?

4 minutes ago, Brian McKee said:

Like what should I be looking for, forced shutdowns?

Blue screens and random shutdowns after prolonged use. The board is small so there isn't much of a thermal ground plain to remove waste heat either. It might be fine (let me see how hot mine are with the massive VRM solution and the amazing airflow I have) 

Yours faithfully

7 minutes ago, Lord Nicoll said:

Blue screens and random shutdowns after prolonged use. The board is small so there isn't much of a thermal ground plain to remove waste heat either. It might be fine (let me see how hot mine are with the massive VRM solution and the amazing airflow I have) 

Thanks I appreciate it.

Thanks I appreciate it.

Mine are not much more above ambient, probably not even 45°C and the PC has been at 100% for now, 7 hours

Yours faithfully

Just now, Lord Nicoll said:

Mine are not much more above ambient, probably not even 45°C and the PC has been at 100% for now, 7 hours

Thanks for the info, my computer will be running for maybe 3-4 hours at a time for the most part when i have time to play games in the living room so I assume it'll be ok :)

Just now, Brian McKee said:

Thanks for the info, my computer will be running for maybe 3-4 hours at a time for the most part when i have time to play games in the living room so I assume it'll be ok :)

just make sure there is a decent amount of air over it, same with any board. Maybe disable turbo boost as I mentioned before.

Yours faithfully

2 minutes ago, Lord Nicoll said:

just make sure there is a decent amount of air over it, same with any board. Maybe disable turbo boost as I mentioned before.

I will, really appreciate the advice!