(Help Wanted) WTF crypto-mining awesomness build. 50 x i7-6950x with Titan XP.

Go to solution Solved by yoyodapro,
On 1/28/2018 at 4:21 PM, Damascus said:

Lol reading this in 2018

On 11/13/2016 at 1:19 PM, azb_ said:

Let me know how the building goes. 

Good luck,

azb_ 

well guys it was a tough one.

the one thing we were trying to achieve was portability, you cant really sell a turn-key system when its on a wireframe rack.. the rigs never worked out as planned and we had to redesign everything from scratch.

we tried building proprietary 12, 14, and 18 Titan 4u servers using SBC's with passive backplanes and utilized Protocase for the chassis. 2 of each unit later and we were still kinda stuck in a hole not really making anywhere near what we wanted to.. we sold those units, making most of our money back but still a setback.

so we did the only thing we could think of, buy up all the 1080ti's our budget would allow and all of the necessary hardware to support it. we ran out to home depot, put every wireframe rack they had onto a couple dolly's and 2-20 days later got our parts in from amazon, newegg, and many other retailers (that was a pain). assembly was rough... zip-ties saved our lives. 

after reaching ROI in about 4-1/2 to 6 months it was pretty uphill from there, once bitcoin reached 20k my sponsors quickly cashed out and made well over what was initially spent. When GPU prices skyrocketed, they sold all the 1080ti's in anticipation for the GTX 20XX series. with CPU mining coins like Yenten, Koto, and Raven we have been able to see continuous profits on the 6950X's while solo mining, also been playing around with Titan V's seeing really great results come from that as well!

All the best guys and thanks so much for the help!

On 11/13/2016 at 1:25 PM, Coaxialgamer said:

what currency are you ming that requires such a cpu ? there is a reason mining farms look like this :

mqdefault.jpg

and not like this :

terminator1505-albums-project-high-end-g

yes, that's it. but I can't help with other things. at least you can communicate easier to other people.

btw, i didn't quote because you are the OP so you will get a notification eventhough i don't quote (if im right)

~i5-7600k @5GHz ~Be Quiet! Dark rock 3 ~MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G ~Gigabyte GA-Z270-gaming K3 ~Corsair Vengeance Red led ~NZXT S340 Elite

2 minutes ago, Name Taken said:

GPU mining for Zcash has been out for 2 weeks now and I've been about to get 750+ sol/s with 6 280Xs.

nice, should i fill the systems with rx 480's then?

43 minutes ago, yoyodapro said:

Im building a few new computers to mine with, any help would be greatly appreciated!

50 computers;

i7-6950x

any liquid watercooler that you guys would recommend

TItan XP 12GB gddr5x

Asrock Extreme 3

8GB DDR4 2400

space isnt important, just need to be able to install OS and mining software. Can anyone reccomend a good 64GB ssd?\

no disk drive, OS will be installed through USB

NO OS NEEDED

and any cheap stackable case that may or may not have a power supply combo.

Thanks!

Here's a PCPartpicker link to the build I made... Instead of 1 Titan X, as I had heard that gcn does better, there are 3 R9 390x's. 

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/sxpYLD

CPU: Intel Xeon E5-2680 V3 2.5GHz 12-Core OEM/Tray Processor  ($1667.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($24.88 @ OutletPC) 
Motherboard: Asus X99-A II ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard  ($223.98 @ Newegg) 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory  ($87.99 @ Newegg) - Ram doesn't matter all that much I believe
Storage: Western Digital BLACK SERIES 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($118.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Video Card: XFX Radeon R9 390X 8GB Double Dissipation Video Card  ($362.89 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: XFX Radeon R9 390X 8GB Double Dissipation Video Card  ($362.89 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: XFX Radeon R9 390X 8GB Double Dissipation Video Card  ($362.89 @ OutletPC) 
Case: Thermaltake Core X9 ATX Desktop Case  ($135.98 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA T2 1600W 80+ Titanium Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($382.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Total: $3731.47

You can buy 54 of these, and the case is stackable. I left cooling out as I didn't know how you wanted to proceed, as liquid isn't necessarily effective in most builds, but might be in a 3 gpu build. 

Happy mining!

Was I helpful? Accept my answer or agree / mark me as informative!

Quote me, or I probably won't notice you responded to me!

Only Constructive Criticism is taken into consideration. 

4 minutes ago, azb_ said:

Here's a PCPartpicker link to the build I made... Instead of 1 Titan X, as I had heard that gcn does better, there are 3 R9 390x's. 

CPU: Intel Xeon E5-2680 V3 2.5GHz 12-Core OEM/Tray Processor  ($1667.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($24.88 @ OutletPC) 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory  ($87.99 @ Newegg) - Ram doesn't matter all that much I believe
Storage: Western Digital BLACK SERIES 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($118.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Video Card: XFX Radeon R9 390X 8GB Double Dissipation Video Card  ($362.89 @ OutletPC) 
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA T2 1600W 80+ Titanium Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($382.99 @ SuperBiiz) 

You can buy 54 of these, and the case is stackable. I left cooling out as I didn't know how you wanted to proceed, as liquid isn't necessarily effective in most builds, but might be in a 3 gpu build. 

Happy mining!

I love it! any way we could make it cheaper by subbing for 8GB of 2400 ram, 64GB SSD, and a cheaper case?

12 minutes ago, azb_ said:

Happy mining!

and also the total TDP of the system is only 1056 watts can you sub out the power supply too? maybe 1200 watts?

14 minutes ago, yoyodapro said:

and also the total TDP of the system is only 1056 watts can you sub out the power supply too? maybe 1200 watts?

Yep. Give me a sec

2x4 ram good?

28 minutes ago, yoyodapro said:

I love it! any way we could make it cheaper by subbing for 8GB of 2400 ram, 64GB SSD, and a cheaper case?

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/gmn44C

I replaced the 2x8 2133 with 2x4 2400

I also replaced the 1600 with a 1200, as the estimated tdp on PCPartPicker can be both higher and lower.

I left the case, as Thermaltake is a good brand, and many cases are not safely stack able. 

You can now have 58 of this setup. 

Just now, yoyodapro said:

Awesome man, kudos

6 minutes ago, azb_ said:

I also replaced the 1600 with a 1200, as the estimated tdp on PCPartPicker can be both higher and lower.

I left the case, as Thermaltake is a good brand, and many cases are not safely stack able. 

Ill do a vlog of the build here in a couple weeks when i get everything in :D may even livestream if you guys are interested?

Do livestream i will watch i think if the time is reasonable and not under work times xD

Tag me if you need me :D

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Desktop:                                       Laptop:        
CPU - i7-4790k                            CPU: I7 7700HQ
GPU - Inno3D 1080TI                  GPU: 1060
Mobo - Gigabyte Z97X-SLI          Memory: 16 GB
Memory - 32 GB DDR3                Storage: 1256GB
Storage - 11 TB

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Phone: ONEPLUS 6 128GB

11 minutes ago, azb_ said:

what are your thoughts on networking, could i put everything on the 5ghz band of my business class wifi?

Just to be secure if i would do this kind of thing just wire everything so it doesn't overload your wifi

Tag me if you need me :D

Desktop:                                       Laptop:        
CPU - i7-4790k                            CPU: I7 7700HQ
GPU - Inno3D 1080TI                  GPU: 1060
Mobo - Gigabyte Z97X-SLI          Memory: 16 GB
Memory - 32 GB DDR3                Storage: 1256GB
Storage - 11 TB

Phone: ONEPLUS 6 128GB

my computers will only be mining on the 5ghz band and i have a 150 down 50 up connection

23 minutes ago, yoyodapro said:

what are your thoughts on networking, could i put everything on the 5ghz band of my business class wifi?

I'd just do it all wired Ethernet.... Less interference... All of that networking would be so susceptible to interference. The motherboard that I added to the build comes with 1 gb ethernet. 

https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-ProSAFE-M4100-50G-POE-50-Port-GSM7248P-100NES/dp/B00AUEYWS2/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1479057439&sr=1-2&keywords=50+port+hub

You could connect 50 of them to that, then connect that to one more and have that one as a master, the rest as slaves. It costs 1k, so you would need to sacrifice one of the pcs. 

Could you just have the master pc do all the networking, and then distribute it out between all of the slaves? IDK, as bitcoining is not my strength.

NOTE: I am not that good at networking stuff. This networking stuff is all just educated guesses for me. 

I don't know if you are serious or not , but if you had done any research you would know these are terrible builds for mining .

assuming you aren't mining an unprofitable coin .

Cpu's are terrible to mine on whatever the currency , and gpu's outperform them by several orders of magnitude . the titan XP isn't a good choice for mining and cost/performance is way too high to justify it . watercoolers are not a good choice . You're just adding more points of failure .

Now if you do want to setup a mining farm , they usually consist of a low end cpu like a pentium , a board with MANY pcie slots ( 1x is the best choice ) ,and LOADS of AMD graphics cards connected through extenders ( since not many data transfers between the gpu and cpu are done , pcie 1x is fine ) . You then buy as many high efficiency power supplies as you need to power them .

The most popular choices for gpus right now in mining are either used cards like the hd 7970/7950 , r9 280(x) or 290(x) or newer more efficient and newer cards such as the rx 480/470 ( preferably the cheaper 4gb models )or the fury series cards , which can be had for around 400$. 

It's an exercise of efficiency vs starting costs , and only you will be able to answer that depending on what you plan on doing with your farm.

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

1 hour ago, Name Taken said:

GPU mining for Zcash has been out for 2 weeks now and I've been able to get 750+ sol/s with 6 280Xs.

Reveal hidden contents

504e4o.jpg

zchash isn't really the most profitable anymore. Back when it launched i would get 15$ a day with my dual 290x's , but i had to switch back to ETC to remain profitable.

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

7 minutes ago, Coaxialgamer said:

I don't know if you are serious or not , but if you had done any research you would know these are terrible builds for mining .

assuming you aren't mining an unprofitable coin .

Cpu's are terrible to mine on whatever the currency , and gpu's outperform them by several orders of magnitude . the titan XP isn't a good choice for mining and cost/performance is way too high to justify it . watercoolers are not a good choice . You're just adding more points of failure .

Now if you do want to setup a mining farm , they usually consist of a low end cpu like a pentium , a board with MANY pcie slots ( 1x is the best choice ) ,and LOADS of AMD graphics cards connected through extenders ( since not many data transfers between the gpu and cpu are done , pcie 1x is fine ) . You then buy as many high efficiency power supplies as you need to power them .

The most popular choices for gpus right now in mining are either used cards like the hd 7970/7950 , r9 280(x) or 290(x) or newer more efficient and newer cards such as the rx 480/470 ( preferably the cheaper 4gb models )or the fury series cards , which can be had for around 400$. 

It's an exercise of efficiency vs starting costs , and only you will be able to answer that depending on what you plan on doing with your farm.

Well. I'd say my build is fairly close to that then, taking into consideration the OP's original build ideas. I kept it as close in between the two of those, as the OP wanted to still be able to mine on CPU's. And, considering he originally wanted 1xTitan on each board at x16, I made it better with 3x good AMD cards at x16. And, I picked the AMD cards in between the two commonly used one, the r9 390x. So yes, I am completely serious. 

1 hour ago, azb_ said:

That seems terribly price and space optimized. Considering he'll be getting a crap ton of these, you absolutely want the best value and lowest prices possible. Sure, one component only costs $12 more, but when you multiply that by 40, it quickly adds up to an extra $480 for that component.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU Cooler: Scythe FUMA 79.0 CFM CPU Cooler  ($45.95 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: ASRock EP2C612 WS SSI EEB Dual-CPU LGA2011-3 Motherboard  ($359.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Memory: Kingston ValueRAM 8GB (1 x 8GB) Registered DDR4-2133 Memory  ($47.10 @ Amazon) 
Storage: A-Data Premier Pro SP600 64GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($34.99 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: XFX Radeon R9 390X 8GB Double Dissipation Video Card (3-Way CrossFire)  ($399.99 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: XFX Radeon R9 390X 8GB Double Dissipation Video Card (3-Way CrossFire)  ($399.99 @ Amazon) 
Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro ATX Full Tower Case  ($83.98 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: SeaSonic X Series 1250W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($174.49 @ SuperBiiz) 
Total: $5328.40
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-11-13 12:46 EST-0500

You could even add in a fourth card http://pcpartpicker.com/list/VPV97h

4 minutes ago, Awakening said:

That seems terribly price and space optimized. Considering he'll be getting a crap ton of these, you absolutely want the best value and lowest prices possible. Sure, one component only costs $12 more, but when you multiply that by 40, it quickly adds up to an extra $480 for that component.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Motherboard: ASRock EP2C612 WS SSI EEB Dual-CPU LGA2011-3 Motherboard  ($359.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Memory: Kingston ValueRAM 8GB (1 x 8GB) Registered DDR4-2133 Memory  ($47.10 @ Amazon) 
Storage: A-Data Premier Pro SP600 64GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($34.99 @ Amazon) 
Power Supply: SeaSonic X Series 1250W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($174.49 @ SuperBiiz) 
Total: $5328.40
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-11-13 12:46 EST-0500

Why are there dual CPU's? Aside from that, 2x4 is better (I believe, than 1x8) , and considering how little it adds, even though it adds, up its worth it. 

Also, the EVGA is a much larger brand than SeaSonic, and with a crap ton of these, a good psu is good. The case on the other hand, is a good substitution. I just hadn't checked if it was stackable or not. 

20 minutes ago, azb_ said:

Well. I'd say my build is fairly close to that then, taking into consideration the OP's original build ideas. I kept it as close in between the two of those, as the OP wanted to still be able to mine on CPU's. And, considering he originally wanted 1xTitan on each board at x16, I made it better with 3x good AMD cards at x16. And, I picked the AMD cards in between the two commonly used one, the rx 390x. So yes, I am completely serious. 

Well there is no good coin that REQUIRES cpu mining though .

and when talking efficiency , the rx 480/470 is quite a bit better ( a 480 is about as powerful as a 390x for hashrate .)Think about it. for 3800$ , he could get 3 builds like these , which would SMASH a 390x CF setup in ming while using only a bit more power :

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/list/dRTgzM
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/list/dRTgzM/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Pentium G3240 3.1GHz Dual-Core Processor  ($49.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Motherboard: ASRock H81 Pro BTC ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($70.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Memory: Avexir Budget Series 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory  ($19.89 @ OutletPC) 
Storage: Kingston SSDNow UV400 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($40.88 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: PowerColor Radeon RX 470 4GB Red Devil Video Card (4-Way CrossFire)  ($159.99 @ Newegg) 
Video Card: PowerColor Radeon RX 470 4GB Red Devil Video Card (4-Way CrossFire)  ($159.99 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: EVGA 1050W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($135.98 @ Newegg) 
Other: rx 470 red devil ($159.00)
Other: Wood/metal from HW store  ($30.00)
Total: $1305.69
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-11-13 12:51 EST-0500

He just needs to construct a wooden or metal frame to support the gpu like this

mqdefault.jpg

And buy pcie 1x to 16x extenders of ebay like this http://www.ebay.com/itm/PCI-E-Express-PCI-E-1X-4X-16X-to-16X-Extender-Riser-Card-Extension-Cable-Adapter-/252616674719?var=&hash=item3ad1208d9f:m:mbNVhinEfSrBibanQAIbyog

I mean why does OP need powerful cpus to mine ?

1 minute ago, azb_ said:

Why are there dual CPU's? Aside from that, 2x4 is better (I believe, than 1x8) , and considering how little it adds, even though it adds, up its worth it. 

Also, the EVGA is a much larger brand than SeaSonic, and with a crap ton of these, a good psu is good. The case on the other hand, is a good substitution. I just hadn't checked if it was stackable or not. 

I know nothing about mining, I'm just making changes based on space efficiency and value. 2x4GB costs about $20 more.

How large a brand is has absolutely nothing to do with the quality of product they produce. Seasonic makes excellent power supplies. However, after rethinking things, this may be a better pick since it's Platinum rated and has a good rating from professional PSU reviewers.

And yeah, the case is pretty great. Supports SSI-EEB form factor.

2 minutes ago, Coaxialgamer said:

Well there is no good coin that REQUIRES cpu mining though .

and when talking efficiency , the rx 480/470 is quite a bit better . think about it. for 3800$ , he could get 3 builds like these , which would SMASH a 390x CF setup in ming while using only a bit more power :

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/list/dRTgzM
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/list/dRTgzM/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Pentium G3240 3.1GHz Dual-Core Processor  ($49.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Motherboard: ASRock H81 Pro BTC ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($70.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Memory: Avexir Budget Series 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory  ($19.89 @ OutletPC) 
Storage: Kingston SSDNow UV400 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($40.88 @ OutletPC) 
Power Supply: EVGA 1050W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($135.98 @ Newegg) 
Other: Wood/metal from HW store  ($30.00)
Total: $1305.69
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-11-13 12:51 EST-0500

He just needs to construct a wooden or metal frame to support the gpu like this

mqdefault.jpg

And buy pcie 1x to 16x extenders of ebay like this http://www.ebay.com/itm/PCI-E-Express-PCI-E-1X-4X-16X-to-16X-Extender-Riser-Card-Extension-Cable-Adapter-/252616674719?var=&hash=item3ad1208d9f:m:mbNVhinEfSrBibanQAIbyog

While I still disagree with the Pentium decision, I do like the quad rx 470's. I see no reason to run those at x1 when they could be run at a atleast x8 with the xeon, that the OP seems to agree with. Give me a second to make some changes to the pcpartpicker list with the input.

Just now, azb_ said:

While I still disagree with the Pentium decision, I do like the quad rx 470's. I see no reason to run those at x1 when they could be run at a atleast x8 with the xeon, that the OP seems to agree with. Give me a second to make some changes to the pcpartpicker list with the input.

well the pentium is actually the most efficient for mining when running all the work on the gpu's . There is no reason to get a powerful cpu's for a mining rig as they simply aren't good.

I'm talking from a pure mining perspective , there is no reason to have a xeon . AND if all he plans to do is mine , he does not need to run the cards at more than pcie 1x . All gpu farms run at 1x because you can get more cards per board. 8x doesn't bring ANy advantage for mining .

Also, there are 6 rx 470's in the build, not 4 ( 2 of them are in "other" , because pcp wouldn't allow me to put more in the gpu section )  

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/3xHTPs

Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  ($45.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: A-Data Premier Pro SP600 64GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($35.98 @ Newegg) 
Video Card: MSI Radeon RX 470 4GB ARMOR OC Video Card (4-Way CrossFire)  ($169.99 @ Newegg) 
Video Card: MSI Radeon RX 470 4GB ARMOR OC Video Card (4-Way CrossFire)  ($169.99 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: EVGA 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($116.89 @ OutletPC) 
Total: $2879.65

There. What do you think about it now? I left a case on just for ease of building.... Also, he originally only wanted 1 card. Even though the OP has kind of left the conversation, still have to take his wishes into consideration. 6x cards is alot more than the 1 in his original plan.