(Help Wanted) WTF crypto-mining awesomness build. 50 x i7-6950x with Titan XP.

Go to solution Solved by yoyodapro,
On 1/28/2018 at 4:21 PM, Damascus said:

Lol reading this in 2018

On 11/13/2016 at 1:19 PM, azb_ said:

Let me know how the building goes. 

Good luck,

azb_ 

well guys it was a tough one.

the one thing we were trying to achieve was portability, you cant really sell a turn-key system when its on a wireframe rack.. the rigs never worked out as planned and we had to redesign everything from scratch.

we tried building proprietary 12, 14, and 18 Titan 4u servers using SBC's with passive backplanes and utilized Protocase for the chassis. 2 of each unit later and we were still kinda stuck in a hole not really making anywhere near what we wanted to.. we sold those units, making most of our money back but still a setback.

so we did the only thing we could think of, buy up all the 1080ti's our budget would allow and all of the necessary hardware to support it. we ran out to home depot, put every wireframe rack they had onto a couple dolly's and 2-20 days later got our parts in from amazon, newegg, and many other retailers (that was a pain). assembly was rough... zip-ties saved our lives. 

after reaching ROI in about 4-1/2 to 6 months it was pretty uphill from there, once bitcoin reached 20k my sponsors quickly cashed out and made well over what was initially spent. When GPU prices skyrocketed, they sold all the 1080ti's in anticipation for the GTX 20XX series. with CPU mining coins like Yenten, Koto, and Raven we have been able to see continuous profits on the 6950X's while solo mining, also been playing around with Titan V's seeing really great results come from that as well!

All the best guys and thanks so much for the help!

On 11/13/2016 at 1:25 PM, Coaxialgamer said:

what currency are you ming that requires such a cpu ? there is a reason mining farms look like this :

mqdefault.jpg

and not like this :

terminator1505-albums-project-high-end-g

5 minutes ago, azb_ said:

While I still disagree with the Pentium decision, I do like the quad rx 470's. I see no reason to run those at x1 when they could be run at a atleast x8 with the xeon, that the OP seems to agree with. Give me a second to make some changes to the pcpartpicker list with the input.

Actually... the Thermaltake Core X9 kinda grew on me, can you slap that back in the mix?

1 minute ago, yoyodapro said:

Actually... the Thermaltake Core X9 kinda grew on me, can you slap that back in the mix?

Yep. http://pcpartpicker.com/list/LkDsm8

Was I helpful? Accept my answer or agree / mark me as informative!

Quote me, or I probably won't notice you responded to me!

Only Constructive Criticism is taken into consideration. 

5 minutes ago, yoyodapro said:

Woot! I can build 50 of the for under 150k

Good luck,

azb_ 

Was I helpful? Accept my answer or agree / mark me as informative!

Quote me, or I probably won't notice you responded to me!

Only Constructive Criticism is taken into consideration. 

4 minutes ago, azb_ said:

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/3xHTPs

CPU: Intel Xeon E5-2680 V3 2.5GHz 12-Core OEM/Tray Processor  ($1667.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($24.88 @ OutletPC) 
Motherboard: Asus X99-A II ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard  ($223.98 @ Newegg) 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  ($45.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: A-Data Premier Pro SP600 64GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($35.98 @ Newegg) 
Video Card: MSI Radeon RX 470 4GB ARMOR OC Video Card (4-Way CrossFire)  ($169.99 @ Newegg) 
Video Card: MSI Radeon RX 470 4GB ARMOR OC Video Card (4-Way CrossFire)  ($169.99 @ Newegg) 
Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro ATX Full Tower Case  ($83.98 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: EVGA 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($116.89 @ OutletPC) 
Total: $2879.65

There. What do you think about it now? I left a case on just for ease of building.... Also, he originally only wanted 1 card. Even though the OP has kind of left the conversation, still have to take his wishes into consideration. 6x cards is alot more than the 1 in his original plan. 

true , but if he is going to spend 150K on a mining farm , 1 card per build and a 10 core cpu is VERy inneficient . OP should consider this if serious .Think about it this way ( taking ethereum as an example here )

-a titan xp runs at ~35Mhash/s and costs 1200$, while using ~250-300W

-a 10-12 core cpu runs at ~0.4Mhash/s and costs 1700$

-total cost/perf of that build is 35.5Mhash/s with a 2900$ cost.

-an r9 390x does around 30Mh/s , costs 350$ and runs using 300W

- that 12 core xeon costs 1700$ and averages 0.5Mh/s

3 r9 390x's costs around 1000$ and ( ~950$ at the time of writing) and would get around 95 Mhash/s while using 1000W

-total cost for this build is 2700$ , with ~95.5 Mh/s 

-an rx 470 runs at 25Mhash/s and costs 160$

-a pentium runs at 0.15Mhash/s and costs 50$

-6 rx 470's cost around 1000$ ( 960$ at the time of writing )

-total is ~150Mhash/s for ~1000$ on this build .

-he can pretty much go ahead and buy three , which is ~450Mh/s for around the price of the titan + 6950x .

- this results in 13x price/perf advantage for the 470 builds compared to the titan and a 4.5x advantage compared to the 390x build .

this is the state of things for pretty much ALL cryptocurrencies .

Plus , if op wants the titan , how is he going to get them all ? Nvidia limits things to 2 cards per person .

Plus , how is OP going to get his titan  

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

11 minutes ago, yoyodapro said:

Woot! I can build 50 of the for under 150k

what currency are you ming that requires such a cpu ? there is a reason mining farms look like this :

mqdefault.jpg

and not like this :

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

1 minute ago, Coaxialgamer said:

true , but if he is going to spend 150K on a mining farm , 1 card per build and a 10 core cpu is VERy inneficient . OP should consider this if serious .Think about it this way ( taking ethereum as an example here )

-a titan xp runs at ~35Mhash/s and costs 1200$, while using ~250-300W

-a 10-12 core cpu runs at ~0.4Mhash/s and costs 1700$

-total cost/perf of that build is 35.5Mhash/s with a 2900$ cost.

-an r9 390x does around 30Mh/s , costs 350$ and runs using 300W

- that 12 core xeon costs 1700$ and averages 0.5Mh/s

3 r9 390x's costs around 1000$ and ( ~950$ at the time of writing) and would get around 95 Mhash/s while using 1000W

-total cost for this build is 2700$ , with ~95.5 Mh/s 

-an rx 470 runs at 25Mhash/s and costs 160$

-a pentium runs at 0.15Mhash/s and costs 50$

-6 rx 470's cost around 1000$ ( 960$ at the time of writing )

-total is ~150Mhash/s for ~1000$ on this build .

-he can pretty much go ahead and buy three , which is ~450Mh/s for around the price of the titan + 6950x .

- this results in 13x price/perf advantage for the 470 builds compared to the titan and a 4.5x advantage compared to the 390x build .

this is the state of things for pretty much ALL cryptocurrencies .

Plus , if op wants the titan , how is he going to get them all ? Nvidia limits things to 2 cards per person .

Plus , how is OP going to get his titan  

I was over the whole titan thing 2 pages ago man.. lol

1 minute ago, yoyodapro said:

I was over the whole titan thing 2 pages ago man.. lol

that's just an example . Just saying that if you are going to spend close to 150K on a mining farm , then getting a xeon is a bad choice.

GPGPU is the way to go .

23 hours ago, Coaxialgamer said:

that's just an example . Just saying that if you are going to spend close to 150K on a mining farm , then getting a xeon is a bad choice.

GPGPU is the way to go .

I found out that quantity restrictions dont apply to business customers :D on newegg business i can order 100 TItans if I wanted

45 minutes ago, yoyodapro said:

I found out that quantity restrictions dont apply to business customers :D on newegg business i can order 100 TItans if I wanted

newegg doesn't sell the titan xp . you can only get it though nvidia.com

4 hours ago, Coaxialgamer said:

newegg doesn't sell the titan xp . you can only get it though nvidia.com

yeah, i meant the original titan x, not xp 

• 1 year later...
On 13/11/2016 at 10:32 AM, FloRolf said:

LOL. even with these specs you'll see no return with the power costs calucated in.

+ The initial cost will already pull you down multiple thousands.

Go home kid, you are 3 years late.

Lol reading this in 2018

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

• 1 month later...
On 1/28/2018 at 4:21 PM, Damascus said:

Lol reading this in 2018

On 11/13/2016 at 1:19 PM, azb_ said:

Good luck,

azb_ 

well guys it was a tough one.

the one thing we were trying to achieve was portability, you cant really sell a turn-key system when its on a wireframe rack.. the rigs never worked out as planned and we had to redesign everything from scratch.

we tried building proprietary 12, 14, and 18 Titan 4u servers using SBC's with passive backplanes and utilized Protocase for the chassis. 2 of each unit later and we were still kinda stuck in a hole not really making anywhere near what we wanted to.. we sold those units, making most of our money back but still a setback.

so we did the only thing we could think of, buy up all the 1080ti's our budget would allow and all of the necessary hardware to support it. we ran out to home depot, put every wireframe rack they had onto a couple dolly's and 2-20 days later got our parts in from amazon, newegg, and many other retailers (that was a pain). assembly was rough... zip-ties saved our lives. 

after reaching ROI in about 4-1/2 to 6 months it was pretty uphill from there, once bitcoin reached 20k my sponsors quickly cashed out and made well over what was initially spent. When GPU prices skyrocketed, they sold all the 1080ti's in anticipation for the GTX 20XX series. with CPU mining coins like Yenten, Koto, and Raven we have been able to see continuous profits on the 6950X's while solo mining, also been playing around with Titan V's seeing really great results come from that as well!

All the best guys and thanks so much for the help!

On 11/13/2016 at 1:25 PM, Coaxialgamer said:

mqdefault.jpg

and not like this :