Help... Toaster. What do I do?

Just now, The Belgian Waffle said:

This is not my comfortable zone, so you'll have to walk me through a bit : what's "A"? 

Amps. Your processor requires both voltage and amps to work. Usually you multiply voltage by amps to see the power draw. Before you had 0.93v in OCCT's test and you were pulling 21W, so you basically were using 22A of current. The current limit is indeed just a limit, but for some reason raising this limit gets rid of certain barriers. For example, for me to NEVER current-limit throttle (it happens often in XTU Benchmark and Linpack etc) I need to set my current limit to 256A. Now, my PC will never use 256A on it, but it is what I need to set. In your case though, since you never really hit such a high power draw before, I don't think it limits you in day to day usage.

Either way, it's a stupidly low limit you have and the inability to adjust it is very bad on Gigabyte's part. You can read my mobile i7 CPU information guide in my signature for more details about mobile processors.

Now I just need to wait on the benchmark result from you, though.

I have finally moved to a desktop. Also my guides are outdated as hell.

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday

1 minute ago, D2ultima said:

Now I just need to wait on the benchmark result from you, though.

I edited my last reply, sorry. 
It's 19.554 seconds for 32M 4threads

1 minute ago, The Belgian Waffle said:

I edited my last reply, sorry. 
It's 19.554 seconds for 32M 4threads

That seems somewhat normal. But the rest of your system is still extremely sluggish you say?

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday

That seems somewhat normal. But the rest of your system is still extremely sluggish you say?

Ya. The computer often freezes, the thing is slow, even for opening a single picture, that's why I thought my HDD was dead / too slow, but even when I don't do much it takes times to launch almost everything. But it's not always, tho. 

Ya. The computer often freezes, the thing is slow, even for opening a single picture, that's why I thought my HDD was dead / too slow, but even when I don't do much it takes times to launch almost everything. But it's not always, tho. 

Well, as far as I can tell, your CPU works fine, your RAM works fine, and it certainly is not your video card.

It could be Windows 10 being garbage and randomly broken, but I don't know. Did anything trigger it? Any updates? Have you tried and/or are you willing to try a different OS, namely W7 or 8.1 and see if it still happens? Alternately consider disabling your wifi card for a while and seeing if offline usage triggers anything?

Well, as far as I can tell, your CPU works fine, your RAM works fine, and it certainly is not your video card.

It could be Windows 10 being garbage and randomly broken, but I don't know. Did anything trigger it? Any updates? Have you tried and/or are you willing to try a different OS, namely W7 or 8.1 and see if it still happens? Alternately consider disabling your wifi card for a while and seeing if offline usage triggers anything?

In the mail they sent me they said, among other thing (mostly overheating)

Please notice:  • Use extreme care when removing the CPU cooler because the thermal grease/tape between the CPU cooler and CPU may adhere to the CPU. Inadequately removing the CPU cooler may damage the CPU. • 

I'm not sure that i'm ready to remove the CPU cooler, since I just opened up my laptop to change ram and to clean it from dust from time to time, so yeah. I'm gonna send them an e-mail telling them the problem is surely not overheating. 
Concerning wifi, I'm using a USB dongle because we have 5GHz at home and my laptop doesn't allow it. I can reach nice speeds tho with this dongle :P 

It has been shipped with windows 8.1 and I didn't really like it, so I switched to W10 as fast as possible. I have tried to install W7 many times, having an old key that my father purchased a while back, but with no success. The thing doesn't want to finish the installation process. 

In the mail they sent me they said, among other thing (mostly overheating)

Please notice:  • Use extreme care when removing the CPU cooler because the thermal grease/tape between the CPU cooler and CPU may adhere to the CPU. Inadequately removing the CPU cooler may damage the CPU. • 

I'm not sure that i'm ready to remove the CPU cooler, since I just opened up my laptop to change ram and to clean it from dust from time to time, so yeah. I'm gonna send them an e-mail telling them the problem is surely not overheating. 
Concerning wifi, I'm using a USB dongle because we have 5GHz at home and my laptop doesn't allow it. I can reach nice speeds tho with this dongle :P 

It has been shipped with windows 8.1 and I didn't really like it, so I switched to W10 as fast as possible. I have tried to install W7 many times, having an old key that my father purchased a while back, but with no success. The thing doesn't want to finish the installation process. 

If you can pay $5 for Stardock's Start8, then W8.1 and W10 will perform exactly the same sans the forced updates, resetting of windows settings/policies on update, and spying (as long as you don't install the spyware update). Or you can try Classic Shell, but I haven't attempted that yet.

You probably need to disable UEFI boot to install Windows 7 in your BIOS.

Try without your dongle and with your wifi card disabled for a while. Play a SP game or do things offline for a bit and see. Just to be sure. You can do that tomorrow for an hour or two (any length of time you know the machine gets super slow during etc).

Yes, you can e-mail them saying it's 100% not overheating. But as far as I can tell, it's either Windows or some other piece of hardware.

4 minutes ago, D2ultima said:

If you can pay $5 for Stardock's Start8, then W8.1 and W10 will perform exactly the same sans the forced updates, resetting of windows settings/policies on update, and spying (as long as you don't install the spyware update). Or you can try Classic Shell, but I haven't attempted that yet.

You probably need to disable UEFI boot to install Windows 7 in your BIOS.

Try without your dongle and with your wifi card disabled for a while. Play a SP game or do things offline for a bit and see. Just to be sure. You can do that tomorrow for an hour or two (any length of time you know the machine gets super slow during etc).

Yes, you can e-mail them saying it's 100% not overheating. But as far as I can tell, it's either Windows or some other piece of hardware.

I have to leave now, actually, I'm going to College (10:24 am here :P) so I'll try when I come back at around 8pm. I'll try to play a SP game without the dongle tonight. I started this whole thing because I bought a game on Steam that ran so badly, even tho the specs clearly said I could. I asked for a refund, so I won't be able to test that one, but I have a couple of games that will make my PC struggle a bit, but the struggle is not as pronounced as when doing day-to-day tasks, such as watching a simple Youtube video, working on documents etc. Now that I think of, I remember while using W8.1 that I couldn't work on Word because it often just crashed while editing a document, but not like "the blablabla has stopped", but my whole PC would just stop working for like 30 seconds, and then everything would catch-up. I don't think I bought a supercomputer of anything, but I didn't buy a piece of crap (at least I thought). 

10 minutes ago, D2ultima said:

Also, it takes an eternity to boot up, no matter how many times I fresh install it. From the Gigabyte logo to the moment I write my password. And when I click on "connect", it takes SO MUCH time to write the password

11 minutes ago, The Belgian Waffle said:

I have to leave now, actually, I'm going to College (10:24 am here :P) so I'll try when I come back at around 8pm. I'll try to play a SP game without the dongle tonight. I started this whole thing because I bought a game on Steam that ran so badly, even tho the specs clearly said I could. I asked for a refund, so I won't be able to test that one, but I have a couple of games that will make my PC struggle a bit, but the struggle is not as pronounced as when doing day-to-day tasks, such as watching a simple Youtube video, working on documents etc. Now that I think of, I remember while using W8.1 that I couldn't work on Word because it often just crashed while editing a document, but not like "the blablabla has stopped", but my whole PC would just stop working for like 30 seconds, and then everything would catch-up. I don't think I bought a supercomputer of anything, but I didn't buy a piece of crap (at least I thought). 

Yeah, it sounds like you got a lemon from the start, rather than a problem is showing up now. You really should never allow a machine that has anything resembling a problem go scot free. If it's a fresh install and/or most certainly not user error, then you should RMA. Always.

19 minutes ago, D2ultima said:

Yeah, it sounds like you got a lemon from the start, rather than a problem is showing up now. You really should never allow a machine that has anything resembling a problem go scot free. If it's a fresh install and/or most certainly not user error, then you should RMA. Always.

Yeah, you're absolutely right. I was joung and dumb at the time.

I mean, I'm still dumb, but less young ;)

23 hours ago, D2ultima said:

Hello, I have tried playing a few games, with and without internet connection, and I didn't really notice a difference in performance. 

However, each time the computer slowed down, and then crashed, it came with a 100% disk usage followed by a 0% disk usage followed by the fan that stopped spinning. 

I also realized that when I download something, my disk usage goes pretty high and the fan starts spinning and the computer gets slow. 

I haven't noticed anything "more broken" that we already found concerning the CPU.

By the way, I sent Gigabyte an e-mail telling them about what we found, hopefully they'll come back with something interesting. I'll keep you updated. 

Edit : I'm not even using the laptop and System goes 100% disk usage with 30Mb/s. 

edit 2 : Please... What the fuck is this computer doing https://gyazo.com/4b3bd2c7d93c46ee774df0458517ab82

1 hour ago, The Belgian Waffle said:

Hello, I have tried playing a few games, with and without internet connection, and I didn't really notice a difference in performance. 

However, each time the computer slowed down, and then crashed, it came with a 100% disk usage followed by a 0% disk usage followed by the fan that stopped spinning. 

I also realized that when I download something, my disk usage goes pretty high and the fan starts spinning and the computer gets slow. 

I haven't noticed anything "more broken" that we already found concerning the CPU.

By the way, I sent Gigabyte an e-mail telling them about what we found, hopefully they'll come back with something interesting. I'll keep you updated. 

Edit : I'm not even using the laptop and System goes 100% disk usage with 30Mb/s. 

edit 2 : Please... What the fuck is this computer doing https://gyazo.com/4b3bd2c7d93c46ee774df0458517ab82

Honestly? It's probably running some update or cleanup or something in the background, and your hard drive appears to be the primary issue. Your paging file is on your HDD so if your slow 5400RPM sole-storage HDD that your OS is on gets slowed down to a grinding halt by an update, install, etc (anything, really) and then you try to use RAM, you're going to have to use your pagefile and basically fight for it.

Now, this should slow you down considerably, but not crash you. I think your HDD is probably not doing too well, in addition to it being slow. This is also gigabyte's fault for not selling a half-decent HDD with their laptops, but also on you to have looked it up and made sure you got 7200RPM or better. It's kind of why I always without fail recommend a 250GB SSD for an OS to everyone if I could ever fit it in their PCs at all, because it helps so much they'll never even realize.

In your case, your HDD probably needs replacing. If they will replace it for you, I also suggest:

- Not using garbage-trash like W10. Yes, I called it garbage-trash. Yes, that is redundant. It is still an understatement. Fucking piece of dogshit of an OS they want to force on everyone. Ugh. *spits*

- Getting a SSD for your OS, 250GB or larger. MLC SSD or 850 EVO/950 EVO for TLC (still suggest MLC) for SSD choices alone; you'll thank me for it later.

- Setting up Windows update so it doesn't ever check for updates on its own (if on W8.1 or 7). You can do this manually.

- NOT installing any crap like the spyware updates or any "GWX" updates. Keep your OS nice and clean now. Also, don't bother with any of the "rolled up" updates that they're pushing now... they're just as bad as W10 updates. There is good in picking & choosing, I promise you. It'll take a while but your OS will be nice and clean and restriction-free.

- Checking what services are using up your system if you find some using up your system at some point. Sometimes an OS slowing down is a rogue process from a shitty developer. Take EA for example, and their fucking stupid-ass retarded as fuck "Origin Web Helper Service". I have disabled it in Origin itself, but it keeps starting a service to "automatic start" on my PC every time I update Origin, and on boot it basically freezes my PC for like 30 seconds before I can do anything because it's a piece of shit. Did I mention it's a piece of fucking shit? This kind of crap can make you feel like you have problems with your PC that don't actually exist. I thought I had to reinstall windows until I hunted for what could have been my booting slowdown error and found that.

- Also, try to not let as many programs as possible start up with windows, especially on a SSD. For one, it'll slow down your windows boot somehow. Why? I have zero idea, but it does, even though if you click on them after boot they start up just fine. Stuff like WLAN Optimizer or Steam is fine I guess, but programs like DS4Windows or whatever can just be clicked on after.

After following all these instructions and growing to hate Micro$haft and EA as much as I do, you will enjoy your PC! Your wallet, however, will not. As for Gigabyte, if you happen to show them this thread of my troubleshooting and they dislike that I rag on them for their laptops' design choices so much, that's your own bloody fault Gigabyte. Stop screwing your customers out of every last penny with your already-overpriced machines and actually put some decent parts in there for once, then I'll say good things about you instead of bad.

3 hours ago, D2ultima said:

That was a long message :D

I will consider getting an SSD. 

The laptop also has a mSATA SSD connector (on the inside). Should I get a low storage mSATA SSD and install my OS on it, because a 750 evo 500 GB is 140 / 150 euro, which is roughly 160 dollars. 

6 hours ago, D2ultima said:

I wanted to install windows 7 disabling the UEFI thing. I can properly boot from the USB drive, but I can't install it on any of my partition drive, this is so weird. I looked up a bit on the internet and found that I had to convert GPT to MBR, but I cannot even do that, each program that I tried doesn't allow me to do that. 

I guess I'm stuck with W10 :D

4 hours ago, The Belgian Waffle said:

That was a long message :D

I will consider getting an SSD. 

The laptop also has a mSATA SSD connector (on the inside). Should I get a low storage mSATA SSD and install my OS on it, because a 750 evo 500 GB is 140 / 150 euro, which is roughly 160 dollars. 

Then I'd suggest an 850 EVO mSATA 250GB. Should be ok. Unfortunately no 850 Pro mSATA ever showed up to my knowledge.

1 hour ago, The Belgian Waffle said:

I wanted to install windows 7 disabling the UEFI thing. I can properly boot from the USB drive, but I can't install it on any of my partition drive, this is so weird. I looked up a bit on the internet and found that I had to convert GPT to MBR, but I cannot even do that, each program that I tried doesn't allow me to do that. 

I guess I'm stuck with W10 :D

It needs to be done at format. You cannot simply convert GPT to MBR like that. When installing your OS, format the SSD to MBR while using legacy/CSM or simply having UEFI off.

Just now, D2ultima said:

Then I'd suggest an 850 EVO mSATA 250GB. Should be ok. Unfortunately no 850 Pro mSATA ever showed up to my knowledge.

It needs to be done at format. You cannot simply convert GPT to MBR like that. When installing your OS, format the SSD to MBR while using legacy/CSM or simply having UEFI off.

I see, thanks. 
There's some news ! Gigabyte didn't respond, but I discovered that somehow I'm under warranty for 3 months ! I didn't directly buy the laptop from Gigabyte, I used ldlc.be, so I contacted them explaining my problem and see if they can exchange it with something else that has the same value, because I think I crossed the date-limit for a full refund, and the machine is sold-out on their website. 

I see, thanks. 
There's some news ! Gigabyte didn't respond, but I discovered that somehow I'm under warranty for 3 months ! I didn't directly buy the laptop from Gigabyte, I used ldlc.be, so I contacted them explaining my problem and see if they can exchange it with something else that has the same value, because I think I crossed the date-limit for a full refund, and the machine is sold-out on their website. 

Sounds good to me. Good luck! Get something non-sucky then =D.

1 hour ago, D2ultima said:

Sounds good to me. Good luck! Get something non-sucky then =D.

Yeah... I don't even know what to get anymore :P I'll see what they tell me. 

7 minutes ago, The Belgian Waffle said:

If it's using random 4K read/write yes. 5400RPM HDDs are really bad. REALLY bad.

Just now, D2ultima said:

If it's using random 4K read/write yes. 5400RPM HDDs are really bad. REALLY bad.

Yeah... I'm starting to understand the mistake I did x) 

8 minutes ago, The Belgian Waffle said:

skype is using 53,2% WTF

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

Yeah, that's pretty high :P 

That is too high, I have never seen skype go so high on my T420s and that has a worse CPU than your laptop...

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.