Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Why are controller so incredibly expensive

Go to solution Solved by Mira Yurizaki,
2 hours ago, tlink said:

thats not comparable, there are way cheaper cars nowdays than there where then that are superior to the cars of then. while the controllers of nowdays are little superior, their price has also increased with no cheaper alternative for this generation. faulty comparison fallacy. 

Controllers 25 some years ago didn't have analog joysticks, pressure sensitive buttons, reliable wireless capabilities, touch pads, motion control, force feedback, and audio streaming capabilities.

 

If you want to compare it from 10 years ago, cars back then weren't a whole lot less advanced than cars today.

i thought oh i can ask a controller for some steam games with secret santa, but those fuckers are expensive as hell holy balls. and from what i read the third party ones are cheap pieces of shit. is there some licensing fee for creating third party controllers so the console manufacturers have some kind of monopoly and can just mandate whatever they want? i mean what is so expensive in a controller that justifies 50 euros. not to even mention the fucking xbox one elite for fucking 130 euros.

Link to post
Share on other sites

If you are talking about console controllers, then they are a bargain.

Think about it compared to a gaming keyboard and mouse. The high quality ones run for like $250 for mouse and keyboard.

While at the same time, a console controller are what, $40.

 

1st party console controllers are a bargain compared to a high quality mouse and keyboard

Roses are red

My name is Roy

We caught the alligator that ate the De Luca boy

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, tlink said:

i thought oh i can ask a controller for some steam games with secret santa, but those fuckers are expensive as hell holy balls. and from what i read the third party ones are cheap pieces of shit. is there some licensing fee for creating third party controllers so the console manufacturers have some kind of monopoly and can just mandate whatever they want? i mean what is so expensive in a controller that justifies 50 euros. not to even mention the fucking xbox one elite for fucking 130 euros.

buy yourself a ps4 or xbox controller lad.

I am not responsible for any damages or problems to your device or object. 

 

Main Z490 RIG:
Intel Core i9 10850K w/ Noctua chromax.black NH-D15

Corsair Vengeance 2x8GB 2633MHz

ASUS STRIX ROG Z490-E

EVGA GeForce RTX 3060 Ti FTW3

WD BLACK 500GB NVMe, 1 TB WD Black Hard Drive, 3 x Seagate Barracuda (Raid 0), 2TB Seagate FireCuda NVMe

Corsair CX650F White RGB

Lian Li O11D-W XL

PewDiePie Limited Edition Ghost M1 Mouse

PewDiePie Limited Edition Ghost A1 Keyboard

Windows 11 Pro for Workstations Beta

 

HP Z600 (NAS):

2x Intel Xeon X5670 @ 2.93 GHz

2x 2TB WD RED in Raid 0

48 GB of DDR3 ECC Memory

500GB Seagate Barracuda SSD

Uses: Plex Media Server, Minor Storage

Windows Server 2019 Standard

 

Certificates:

A+ Entry-Level Computer Certification

Certified De-icing Technician

Link to post
Share on other sites

A: Calm down.

B: Stop swearing, it makes you sound stupid.

C: Controllers are expensive because the companies that make them want them to be expensive.

 

Also, building something that withstands many hundreds of thousands of hard button presses is no small feat. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, corrado33 said:

A: Calm down.

B: Stop swearing, it makes you sound stupid.

C: Controllers are expensive because the companies that make them want them to be expensive.

 

Also, building something that withstands many hundreds of thousands of hard button presses is no small feat. 

Not to mentions a decent keyboard and mouse is like 3x as much as a controller

 

 

Also, to add onto point B, his profile pic is a TMNT taking a hit from a bong for christs sake

Roses are red

My name is Roy

We caught the alligator that ate the De Luca boy

Link to post
Share on other sites

It's just that console makers don't make much off their consoles, so they have to make their money off the games and Accessories (which includes controllers). 

It's like a technology store which has competitive prices on all their electronics, but expensive cables. They know you need cables with your DVD players and if you are at the store you are more willing to buy the cables then and there.

 

Anyways, yea, most 3rd party controllers are very meh. Using cheaper plastics, analog sticks with (big) dead zones, squeeky bumper and generally less build quality are a couple of the common complaints with 3rd party controllers.

The Xbox One Elite controller is a controller that is extra expensive because it targets a niche market and has features not many others controllers have (it's biggest competitor is SCUF controllers, which has even more expensive controllers).

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

 mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, UberGamerKing said:

If you are talking about console controllers, then they are a bargain.

Think about it compared to a gaming keyboard and mouse. The high quality ones run for like $250 for mouse and keyboard.

While at the same time, a console controller are what, $40.

 

1st party console controllers are a bargain compared to a high quality mouse and keyboard

but incredibly bad third party controllers are not any cheaper. maybe 10% at most. while a cheap keyboard and mouse combo barely costs 20 bucks. something is driving up the price because a keyboard and mouse are just way more material costs than one controller is, as well as way more buttons and pcb than any controller is.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, tlink said:

but incredibly bad third party controllers are not any cheaper. maybe 10% at most. while a cheap keyboard and mouse combo barely costs 20 bucks. something is driving up the price because a keyboard and mouse are just way more material costs than one controller is, as well as way more buttons and pcb than any controller is.

Well cheap keyboard mouse combo's dont last as long.

 

You cant have it both ways dude

Roses are red

My name is Roy

We caught the alligator that ate the De Luca boy

Link to post
Share on other sites

You don't need an elite controller. Just get a regular one, and if you really want the paddles, then get a custom SCUF controller cause the paddles are a lot better than the elite.

MSI GE72 Apache Pro-242 - (5700HQ : 970M : 16gb RAM : 17.3" : Win10 : 1TB HDD : Razer Anansi : Some mouse) - hooked up to a 34UM58-P (WFHD) in dual screen

 

iPad Air 2 (for school)

iPhone 6

Xbox One Forza 6 Limited Edition Blue

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, corrado33 said:

A: Calm down.

B: Stop swearing, it makes you sound stupid.

C: Controllers are expensive because the companies that make them want them to be expensive.

 

Also, building something that withstands many hundreds of thousands of hard button presses is no small feat. 

cheap keyboards can do that easily, while having to use more materials and more mechanical components, your argument doesn't make any sense. and if you don't like my way of talking you can walk away, or report it bc im not going to change it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, tlink said:

but incredibly bad third party controllers are not any cheaper. maybe 10% at most. while a cheap keyboard and mouse combo barely costs 20 bucks. something is driving up the price because a keyboard and mouse are just way more material costs than one controller is, as well as way more buttons and pcb than any controller is.

The Logitech F310 is pretty decent and is not as expensive. It's only wired though

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

 mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Minibois said:

The Logitech F310 is pretty decent and is not as expensive. It's only wired though

True, thats another thing, low latency wireless, thats not cheap at all

Roses are red

My name is Roy

We caught the alligator that ate the De Luca boy

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, tlink said:

cheap keyboards can do that easily, while having to use more materials and more mechanical components, your argument doesn't make any sense. and if you don't like my way of talking you can walk away, or report it bc im not going to change it.

That's wrong.

 

Gaming keyboards use mass produced switches that essentially just plug into a frame.

 

Controllers use custom designed PCBs with special (generally analog now-a-day) switches that are much more expensive and require a heck of a lot more development to make work. 

 

A keyboard is building legos.

 

A controller is molding something out of melted plastic.

 

One is much harder to make than the other.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, UberGamerKing said:

Well cheap keyboard mouse combo's dont last as long.

 

You cant have it both ways dude

mandatory 2 years by warranty under eu law, and we don't have the actual numbers so i dunno how fast they break. i hear a lot of people complain about them breaking/degrading quickly though. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, tlink said:

mandatory 2 years by warranty under eu law, and we don't have the actual numbers so i dunno how fast they break. i hear a lot of people complain about them breaking/degrading quickly though. 

But the cheap ones are imported from China/Asia, and dont require those warranties.

Roses are red

My name is Roy

We caught the alligator that ate the De Luca boy

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, UberGamerKing said:

But the cheap ones are imported from China/Asia, and dont require those warranties.

You can get a K120 or keyboard from Cherry (the same company that makes the mechanical switches, but of course I'm talking a membrane keyboard here) for under 20 euros and those will sure last you for years (if you don't throw it on the ground on the daily though), so there are cheap keyboards from reputable sellers too.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

 mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, UberGamerKing said:

But the cheap ones are imported from China/Asia, and dont require those warranties.

no they're not. i can literally buy them in a store nearby or online for even cheaper.

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, UberGamerKing said:

Not to mentions a decent keyboard and mouse is like 3x as much as a controller

 

 

Also, to add onto point B, his profile pic is a TMNT taking a hit from a bong for christs sake

I think it is just a beer bottle mate... I ain't see no bong...

"If I don't seem to laugh very often, it will be because I sold my soul for good money." - Me 2019

 

My Rig:

Xeon E5 1680 V2 @ 4.4GHz - Asus Rampage IV Extreme X79 Mobo - 16GB = 8 x 2GB OCZ Gold 8-8-8-24 @1600MHz Dimms - AMD Radeon RX 6700XT Sapphire Pulse 12GB - DeepCool E-Shield E-ATX Tempered Glass Case - 1 x 1TB Crucial P1 NVMe SSD - BeQuiet Straight Power 11 850W Gold+ Quad rail - Fractal Design Celsius S36 & 6 x 120mm silent fans - Lenovo KBBH21 - Corsair Glaive RGB Pro - Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit

 

Monitors - 3 x Acer Nitro 23.8" 1080p 75Hz IPS 1ms Freesync Panels = AMD Eyefinity @ 75Hz 

 

Portable Devices: 

Dell Precision M6700 17" Workstation Laptop with i7 3740QM|16GB 1866MHz RAM|GTX 970m 6GB - Dell Latitude E6330 13" Business Laptop - Huawei Honor 9 Phone - Nintendo Switch

 

Screenshots of games I play

 

Spoiler

I am an Audiophile, therefore I share the below info with you:

Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro's - Little Dot 1+ Valve amp with upgraded shenanigans

2 x Beovox 1001 speakers & Akai AM-M11 audio amp

Boss RC-505 Loop Station - Behringer XM8500 Microphone

Marshall Major 2 portable headphones

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, corrado33 said:

That's wrong.

 

Gaming keyboards use mass produced switches that essentially just plug into a frame.

 

Controllers use custom designed PCBs with special (generally analog now-a-day) switches that are much more expensive and require a heck of a lot more development to make work. 

 

A keyboard is building legos.

 

A controller is molding something out of melted plastic.

 

One is much harder to make than the other.

im not talking gaming keyboard, im just talking membrane keyboards and simple mouse, you can perfectly game on that just like you can game on a cheap xbox controller. and do you really think the switches used in controllers are purely designed for a controller? maybe the joysticks but thats it. most of the controller switches is just plastic on a pcb switch, thats even cheaper to produce than mechanical switches.

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, corrado33 said:

That's wrong.

 

Gaming keyboards use mass produced switches that essentially just plug into a frame.

 

Controllers use custom designed PCBs with special (generally analog now-a-day) switches that are much more expensive and require a heck of a lot more development to make work. 

 

A keyboard is building legos.

 

A controller is molding something out of melted plastic.

 

One is much harder to make than the other.

mate what are you on about? do you think a keyboard is just some switches on a pcb? a controller is way less parts to assemble than a keyboard. lots of keyboards have custom designed pcbs, thats why theres such a variety in them.

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, tlink said:

 your argument doesn't make any sense. 

It's not even an argument. There's a simple fact that game controllers are the price that they are.  Debating it won't change it, and explaining it to you won't make a difference either.  

 

So you have really only two choices -- buy one and be happy with it, or don't buy one and continue to bitch like a child.  

 

Get a grip on reality, dude. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, TheBestUserName said:

It's not even an argument. There's a simple fact that game controllers are the price that they are.  Debating it won't change it, and explaining it to you won't make a difference either.  

 

So you have really only two choices -- buy one and be happy with it, or don't buy one and continue to bitch like a child.  

 

Get a grip on reality, dude. 

but thats not why i made this threat, i was literally wondering why they are so expensive. i know it won't change anything but im in all sincerity wondering about what makes the price so high, it was in no way hostile towards anyone. i literally asked to get educated about it. thats what it will change, i have a little bit more knowledge about the world. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, UberGamerKing said:

Well cheap keyboard mouse combo's dont last as long.

 

You cant have it both ways dude

Most people who work in an office use a cheap keyboard and mouse combo day in, day out, for years without them breaking. They are very durable, just not great to use, cheap mice being particularly horrid.

 

Back to controllers, they cost that much because people are willing to pay that much is the classic economist answer. But you also have to consider R&D costs, which is less for many 3rd party controllers as they copy large parts of the original, in addition to them almost always being better built.

 

Also console manufacturers don't make much of a profit on the consoles themselves (they used to sell them at a loss years ago), where they make their money is games and peripherals which are sold at a much higher mark-up than the console.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Monkey Dust said:

Most people who work in an office use a cheap keyboard and mouse combo day in, day out, for years without them breaking. They are very durable, just not great to use, cheap mice being particularly horrid.

 

Back to controllers, they cost that much because people are willing to pay that much is the classic economist answer. But you also have to consider R&D costs, which is less for many 3rd party controllers as they copy large parts of the original, in addition to them almost always being better built.

 

Also console manufacturers don't make much of a profit on the consoles themselves (they used to sell them at a loss years ago), where they make their money is games and peripherals which are sold at a much higher mark-up than the console.

yea i get the aditional costs for R&D and whatnot, but its not a niche market anymore so i would've expected it to be lower. i wonder if there are any licensing fees for third party designers though, or maybe the wireless chip is expensive like someone said here. i tried looking up some PCB's for the controller and it seems like it has an XBOX branded package on it which looks pretty interesting as it is a pcb soldered on a pcb with the package on that. i wonder if they sell these wireless modules to the third party designers and that that holds most of the cost. but then agian here i can buy an original pcb with switches and joysticks and everything for 20 bucks so thats pretty much ruled out too. (or does that make sense? i mean molding the plastic etc and the battery can't cost that much can they?)

https://www.focusattack.com/xbox-one-bare-gamepad-pcb/

 

edit: oh wait this is some stripped version or something without wireless shit? i dunno couldn't really understand

 

AH WAIT I THINK I FOUND THE REASON

Quote

Characteristic of the Xbox series of controllers, a special secutiry chip is used to prevent non-licensed controllers from accessing the console.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, tlink said:

yea i get the aditional costs for R&D and whatnot, but its not a niche market anymore so i would've expected it to be lower. i wonder if there are any licensing fees for third party designers though, or maybe the wireless chip is expensive like someone said here. i tried looking up some PCB's for the controller and it seems like it has an XBOX branded package on it which looks pretty interesting as it is a pcb soldered on a pcb with the package on that. i wonder if they sell these wireless modules to the third party designers and that that holds most of the cost. but then agian here i can buy an original pcb with switches and joysticks and everything for 20 bucks so thats pretty much ruled out too. (or does that make sense? i mean molding the plastic etc and the battery can't cost that much can they?)

https://www.focusattack.com/xbox-one-bare-gamepad-pcb/

Wireless gaming mice are expensive too, I'd imagine they use a similar wireless solution. Then I bought my 360 controller there was quite a big price gap between the wired (£40-ish) and the wireless versions (£60-ish). 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×