Canadian Cell Phone Providers

Canada EH

These are the facts...................

Bell Mobility owns Virgin Mobile Canada and MTS Mobility (Manitoba), but the virtual providers who rent space are PCMobile Prepaid (StupidStore grocery chain aka Loblaws).

Rogers Wireless owns Fido and Chatr, but the virtual providers who rent space are Petro-Canada Mobility and 7-Eleven Speakout.

Telus Mobility owns Koodo and Public Mobile, but the virtual providers who rent space are PCMobile Plan.

Shaw owns Wind, but Shaw itself does not have cell phone services.

This is correct and possible...................

So anyone can use Virgin Mobile or PM(Prepaid) SIM card on a Bell phone. And a Fido or Chatr SIM card on a Rogers phone. And Koodo, PM(Plan) on a Telus phone, or any combo within the family tree. And this will totally work!

These are my questions...................

What about the Virtual Providers?

If I have a Petro SIM card will it work in a Rogers/Fido/Chatr phone?

Or if I have a 7-Eleven SpeakOut SIM card, will it work in a Bell/Virgin phone?

Also of note, Best Buy Mobile wanted $10 for VM SIM card, while online its only $5 from VM.

Rogers and Fido is $10 either or.

Most phones are locked to a single provider. You can buy Unlocked phones (make sure they unlock all providers when buying) or if you can find someone nice enough to unlock a phone for you, you can use different sims/providers. 

I know for certain that you can use Fido SIM cards on Rogers locked devices. My first phone was a prepaid device brought from Rogers and my account was with Fido. I would assume as long as they're under the same network, every thing should work fine.

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

Yes I just mentioned that. It is possible. So thats why I asked what I asked. I stated facts then asked questions!

So I edited my first post to reflect that. Everyone knows about unlocking phones.

Plans are pretty much all the same now. Populous area's that are covered and Customer Service are the only factors now.

Unpopulous area's Bell wins, Telus Loses.

4 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

I know for certain that you can use Fido SIM cards on Rogers locked devices. My first phone was a prepaid device brought from Rogers and my account was with Fido. I would assume as long as they're under the same network, every thing should work fine.

1 minute ago, Canada EH said:

Yes I just mentioned that. It is possible. So thats why I asked what I asked. I stated facts then asked questions!

"I would assume as long as they're under the same network, every thing should work fine. "

If you really dig deep, the reason why it says Fido on your device is because it's been given a mask. I was told by one of their customer service representatives that all customers are all running off Roger's towers, it's just that they basically "tell" the device to display Fido or Chatr as the network provider. That being said, a Petro-Canada SIM card should work in a Rogers/Fido/Chatr device.

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

18 minutes ago, Canada EH said:

What about the Virtual Providers?

That seems interesting. Never heard of virtual ISP's. 

I'm part of the "Help a noob foundation" 

Yes, it'll work.

8 minutes ago, Lyte Starr said:

Most phones are locked to a single provider. You can buy Unlocked phones (make sure they unlock all providers when buying) or if you can find someone nice enough to unlock a phone for you, you can use different sims/providers. 

That wasn't really his question ;)

8 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

Of course, Fido and Rogers are the same company.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

9 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Yes, it'll work.

^^^Great. I had a feeling it would work.

I will buy a SIM card from one of these virtual providers and see how it goes with the corresponding locked cell.

I am tempted to chuck my J1 and go for the J3.

A virtual provider of cell phone services, just rent airtime and data from one of the major 3 cell phone operators.

Its much cheaper to get into the game that way. This is why Chatr and Mobilicity are defunked now. Totally horrendous coverage, I heard stories of people's phone not working in their basement. Once you leave the metro area, you are hit with high fee's. But its good for the customers who only use voice and never leave the metro area. Even on the fringes of the zone, people had long winded stories. I believe Wind is like that too.

Cell phone prices for plans and prepaid have decreased a bit, with a little higher data plans. It seems there is a price war going on.

With the rise of people from over-sea's fleeing civil unrest, the companies want to obtain and keep their customers. But I just pick the cheapest plan, and either sign a 2 year contract if I want a phone, or go prepaid. Every company has their benefits and draw backs. Whether it be customer service, CS hours, CS call center location (Fido used to be what I laugh and say Nigeria, I'd always get one of those), cell phone coverage, zones, unlimited features. Etc Etc Etc, we all know this.

Or you could just use Google...

http://forums.redflagdeals.com/speakout-cell-service-1223171/

Also, Public Mobile plans are extremely good value. $40/month for 2gb data, unlimited calls and text. Not much more for 4gb of data.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

Spoiler

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

11 minutes ago, dizmo said:

That wasn't really his question ;)

Oh, right! I had to re-read what he was asking. Yeah, if the phone is already programmed to connect to the provider's tower, it should work.

So basically I can go out and buy cheap used cell phones from the classifieds that are on any or all of the Big Three providers (Bell, Rogers or Telus) and have my pick of any plan I want. Cheaper then unlocking an iPhone which costs ~$80. Just got to keep an eye on the prize and pull the trigger when a good deal comes around.

Its interesting because from that wikipedia link, there are companies that are in the biz of roaming. Good for travelers.

17 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Or you could just use Google...

http://forums.redflagdeals.com/speakout-cell-service-1223171/

Also, Public Mobile plans are extremely good value. $40/month for 2gb data, unlimited calls and text. Not much more for 4gb of data.

I believe Wind Mobile has similar plan but unlimited data

Yes, but its throttled data.

Just now, deXxterlab97 said:

20 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

Wind has astonishingly bad coverage though.

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler