Ddr3 on i5 6500?

Hi, 

I was wondering if ddr3 ram would work with a Intel core i5 6500? I know the specs say it supports only ddr3l and ddr4 but some forums have told me that the i5 would still work with ddr3, is that true? 

No. Only low voltage DDR3 not regular DDR3 and therefore there is no point in using it and you should just pick up DDR4 because desktop DDR3L is quite rare to have.

Only if the motherboard supports it. But as already stated, you will probably need DDR4 or DDR3L

To RGB, or not to RGB? That is the question.

- Shakespeare. Hamlet, Act III, scene I.

1 hour ago, Mkopiec said:

Hi, 

I was wondering if ddr3 ram would work with a Intel core i5 6500? I know the specs say it supports only ddr3l and ddr4 but some forums have told me that the i5 would still work with ddr3, is that true? 

does it work on all skylake mobos

Also the IMC is not specced to handle 1.5 V, so you might damage it over time.

To RGB, or not to RGB? That is the question.

- Shakespeare. Hamlet, Act III, scene I.

It will likely work fine with plain ddr3, but it will also likely kill your memory controller over time. Definitely wouldn't recommend doing it.

When in doubt, re-format.

1 hour ago, pwn_intended said:

It will likely work fine with plain ddr3, but it will also likely kill your memory controller over time. Definitely wouldn't recommend doing it.

the ram dim would die???

6 minutes ago, WereCat said:

No. Only low voltage DDR3 not regular DDR3 and therefore there is no point in using it and you should just pick up DDR4 because desktop DDR3L is quite rare to have.

really? it's not rare where I live.

The geek himself.

1 minute ago, masterkickass7 said:

the ram dim would die???

no, the ram controller on the mobo/cpu would die. The ram would in all likelihood be fine.

no, the ram controller on the mobo/cpu would die. The ram would in all likelihood be fine.

would it work on z170 mobo have 12gb of ddr3l laying around

Just now, masterkickass7 said:

would it work on z170 mobo have 12gb of ddr3l laying around

Depends on the mobo. It will either support ddr3l OR ddr4, so be sure to check before you buy. 

ABSOLUTELY DO NOT run plain old ddr3 on a skylake system unless the board EXPLICITLY says its ok (I don't know of any, but they may exist)

Depends on the mobo. It will either support ddr3l OR ddr4, so be sure to check before you buy. 

ABSOLUTELY DO NOT run plain old ddr3 on a skylake system unless the board EXPLICITLY says its ok (I don't know of any, but they may exist)

would it support both i only have 8gb currently on my z170mobo

Just now, masterkickass7 said:

would it support both i only have 8gb currently on my z170mobo

I'm not sure what you are asking now. Your motherboard will support ddr3 OR ddr4. It cannot support both because they are physically different.

Are you saying that you are running ddr3 NON-L ram in your z170 system already? if that is the case , STOP, and look up the specs of your mobo to make sure that that's ok. Without you telling me what motherboard you have, I cant really give any more pointers, and saying "z170" isn't good enough. Make and model are important here.

I'm not sure what you are asking now. Your motherboard will support ddr3 OR ddr4. It cannot support both because they are physically different.

Are you saying that you are running ddr3 NON-L ram in your z170 system already? if that is the case , STOP, and look up the specs of your mobo to make sure that that's ok. Without you telling me what motherboard you have, I cant really give any more pointers, and saying "z170" isn't good enough. Make and model are important here.

ASRock Z170 Extreme4+ ATX currently using 8gb of ddr4

2 minutes ago, masterkickass7 said:

ASRock Z170 Extreme4+ ATX currently using 8gb of ddr4

so you have just answered your own question. If you try to put ddr3 into that motherboard, it just wont fit. Don't try it because you don't want to break things.