4790k bending corners

Hi, my cousin has a problem: he built his own pc a year ago,  we play games very often, without problems in this year. I taught him everything I can, but I’ve never see something like that .... I googled it, and found some cases in Skylake  sockets (my rig is AMD).

All of the sudden (without having touched or dismounted anything in a year) the pc started to shutdown. I thought it was a temperature issue, but the temperature was ok (24C the cpu, mother below 30C) all fans were running ok, but the pc could not stay turned on even in the bios! 

He has a Mark1 asus, 4790k, with corsair memories. I left only motherboard, micro and memories without hdd, gpu, etc...... only mother, micro and memos and sometimes turns on 2 minutes (we could check the tempetures in the bios, also reset the bios, we touched the mother and micro and nothing got warm), and the pc went off again.

I´ve also checked it with my power supply (gold plus 1000watts),  with the same result.

Since I cannot check his micro in my mother ( I have an am3+) I’ve  run out of ideas (I think it is a mother or micro failure, but with different brands I cannot check it).

Because Mark 1 has 5 years of warranty I recommended him to send his mother to the store where bought the Mark 1; in  the store they told that the motherboard was ok (is not official asus support, we are  from Argentina, is just a store with a very good reputation).

On the other hand, my cousin was able to test all his other parts in a Mark2 with success (he can access to windows, and even test games without any shutdown or reboot -45 min test-)

And at this point, I’m very confused, because the store told him that the mother was ok, and the other parts of the pc , apparently, are working ok too in a brand new mark 2 (borrowed).

He sent all his parts, to the technical service in the store, and they sent us the pictures attached in this post.

The cooler is a Thermaltake Frio Extreme.... and i don’t explain why the PCB is so bended,  is this because he applied too much force placing the cooler? I don’t have any other explanation. 

And then, if the micro was THAT bended, how can even function in the mark 2?

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

looks like someone took a drill to tighten the cooler. yeah looks like it was over tighten and then some.

CPU-i7 6700k O.C. 4.6Ghz-Motherboard-Asus z170-a-RAM-24gb DDR4-GPU-EVGA GTX 1080 FE-Case-Corsair 400c (white)-Storage-HDD: 2xWD Blue 1TB SSD: PNY SSDSC120GLC709B121-510 120GB-PSU-1000 watt coolermax-Display-ASUS VG248QE Black 24" 1080p 144 Hz -Cooling-Corsair H115i-Keyboard-G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX blues (Red backlight)-Mouse-Logitech G602-Sound-Logitech 5.1 z506

Need a budget headphone for under 100$? Sennheiser HD 558 Headphones

Got a Skylake CPU (k) Here is a guide to OC it!

I know skylake uses a thinner PCB and are known to bend but a 4790k should be fine.

Anyway, when you are mounting a cooler you shouldn't use force.

No idea if that was the case here but when you mount a cooler, something like an electric screwdriver shouldn't be used.

If they did use that, that's probably the reason this happened.

It's at least very likely that the cause of this is a cooler mounted with too much force.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

Tell your "cousin" that power tools don't belong anywhere near a PC. That CPU is toast, I can't even fathom why you would tighten a cooler down that much...

4 minutes ago, samcool55 said:

I know skylake uses a thinner PCB and are known to bend but a 4790k should be fine.

Anyway, when you are mounting a cooler you shouldn't use force.

No idea if that was the case here but when you mount a cooler, something like an electric screwdriver shouldn't be used.

If they did use that, that's probably the reason this happened.

It's at least very likely that the cause of this is a cooler mounted with too much force.

I told him that be gentle with the parts, and no, he used a simple screwdriver :S

That thing is more bent out of shape than a league player. ;w; It could make a neat key chain now tho.

Moist

1 minute ago, Kenji the Uke said:

That thing is more bent out of shape than a league player. ;w; It could make a neat key chain now tho.

When i see the photos i cannot beleive that this actually works in the mark 2 , but it did...

My recommendation to him was to sell the memories and buy a 6700k + other motherboard. What do you think?? i will never put other micro in the mother o buy another 4th gen if i dont for sure that the Mark 1 is working well...

Just now, ze_ebobg said:

When i see the photos i cannot beleive that this actually works in the mark 2 , but it did...

My recommendation to him was to sell the memories and buy a 6700k + other motherboard. What do you think?? i will never put other micro in the mother o buy another 4th gen if i dont for sure that the Mark 1 is working well...

Yeah, thats what I'd to too.. DDR4 Memory has gone down in price considerably 3: I mean that chip is gonna kill something at some point and might as well sell what he can now.. 

Moist

15 minutes ago, ze_ebobg said:

I told him that be gentle with the parts, and no, he used a simple screwdriver :S

Maybe he lied.

Well, a 6700K + new MoBo + new RAM would be kind of expensive compared to just a newer second hand 4790K, and would only deliver marginally better performance... nothing noticeable really.

If it was me, I'd try to get a new 4790K, because of the cost and lack of increase in performance of upgrading.

i7 4790K || R9 290X + R9 290 || 16GB G.Skill TridentX 1866 || Gigabyte Z97MX Gaming 5 || Crucial MX100 256GB || WD Caviar Blue 1TB

hmm, was the PC handled roughly in anyway? I can think a solid drop to the floor would cause a large heatsink to damage like that...but yeah, I'm amazed it even operated.

That or he really went all out tightening it with a simple screwdriver...you can get it down pretty hard if he pushed it hard enough.

Well, if he has all of the part for a 4790K, I probably would say to get another 4790K, used even. It is quite expensive to make the jump to a 6700K, even with the money made from selling his old parts.

I guess it wasn't ogre - proof. Seriously though, how do you even do that?

CPU - Ryzen Threadripper 2950X | Motherboard - X399 GAMING PRO CARBON AC | RAM - G.Skill Trident Z RGB 4x8GB DDR4-3200 14-13-13-21 | GPU - Aorus GTX 1080 Ti Waterforce WB Xtreme Edition | Case - Inwin 909 (Silver) | Storage - Samsung 950 Pro 500GB, Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Samsung 840 Evo 500GB, HGST DeskStar 6TB, WD Black 2TB | PSU - Corsair AX1600i | Display - DELL ULTRASHARP U3415W |

My Xeon has a chipped corner, it has no issues however.

Palit GeForce GTX 1070 GameRock . XEON X5650 4.49ghz

Maybe this can be an advertising idea for AMD.

AMD proudly supporting orangutans with screwdrivers, cause no bugger can bend a PGA package!