PSU pops (shocks) every time I replace it

Fadexz

My Power Supply in my computer gets shocked every time the 4 times it has been replaced, lucky the computer shop I took it to replaces it and tries to figure out the problem so I don't have to pay for them. Basically what happens is I start up the computer and it can work for a few minutes or a few days until the power supply decides to break, usually when playing a game. So the components are not fully broken but is causing the replacement power supply to pop when it breaks and sometimes smells. I think it may be the motherboard or CPU but I don't know what I should replace. I may have accidentally just before it first broke changed the Ghz on the processor from 3.5 Ghz to 4.0 Ghz, I shouldn't have done that and it was a bad idea but since then I reset the bios and its still is shocking the power supply randomly after a few days. Also if I need to replace the CPU I'll probably just get a new motherboard cause it only supports AMD chips and I would rather get an Intel CPU cause apparently their better than AMD CPU's of the same level.

Specs:

CPU: AMD FX-8320

GPU: ASUS STRIX GTX 960

(Don't know others atm)

I had a similar problem with a Corsair AX 760i (twice).

After my second AX760i failed, I switched to another PSU and had no problems since.

Do you have a PSU of the Corsair AXi series?

---

Hardware:

intel i7 4770k

nVidia GTX 770 2GB (Gainward Phantom)

FreeNAS Server with 3x 3TB WD Red in a RaidZ1 for backup and network storage

MacBook Pro for work (running only Fedora 26 on ZFS)

I'm guessing cheapo power supply with a computer that demands too much.

Or a short somewhere in the motherboard (or half... short) where one of the power lines is drawing far too much amperage and causing the power supply to get hot and pop. 

Problem can be fixed by replacing the PSU. Replace it with a high quality unit and you stand less chance of destroying your system.

Did I help you to fix your problem or at least did offer somewhat valuable advice? Consider giving my post a "informative" or "thumbs up".

SYSTEM 2: Modded G3 case with Gigabyte GA-G33M-S2L, Intel E8600 (O.C to 4.2GHz.), 4GB GSkill PC8500, Nvidia 8800GTS (512M), Cooling provided by Scythe Big Shrunkin, HDD 1 = OSX 10.9.5, HDD 2 = Windows 7 Pro X64. (Placed 3rd in MacMod  of the year 2012) (For info see:  http://insanelymac.com/forum/topic/285641-and-the-winner-for-macmod-of-2012-is/

LAPTOP: Inspiron 1720, Modded BIOS, X9000 Core 2 extreme OC'ed and undervolted to 3.4GHz (windows only) , 6GB DDR2 800, 8600M GT, 1920x1200 Glossy display, Sigmatel Audio, 2 Kingston HyperX 120GB drives (1 with Windows 7 x64 pro & 1 with OSX 10.9.5) X9000 Processor World Record Holder since 02/2013 on Geekbench 2 : http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench2/search?dir=desc&q=x9000&sort=score

Thanks for the help, I think it was caused from overheating on carpet. It all makes sense now cause the shop I took it too had no problem leaving it on for hours so its a simple fix, so I can either get a upside-facing one or just raise it from the carpet so the fan intake can get some air :) 

I'll give it a try I haven't yet tested it but i'm sure it was just overheating.

Thanks for all the help anyways!

I'll let you know if it fixes the problem when I get a new power supply.

On 03/11/2016 at 9:42 PM, Minibeau said:

what power supply is it?

I think it's just some cheap one but it probably just was the intake being blocked from carpet causing the problem.

2 hours ago, AUSSIE_G4M3R said:

Thanks for the help, I think it was caused from overheating on carpet. It all makes sense now cause the shop I took it too had no problem leaving it on for hours so its a simple fix, so I can either get a upside-facing one or just raise it from the carpet so the fan intake can get some air :) 

I'll give it a try I haven't yet tested it but i'm sure it was just overheating.

Thanks for all the help anyways!

I'll let you know if it fixes the problem when I get a new power supply.

Please for the love of Godoka do not put a computer on a surface where it can sink into it and block air intakes or exhaust.  It's bad...

Years ago when I got my very first laptop (first computer that mine only) I kept using it on carpet or a sleeping bag and it blocked the air vents on the bottom.  Then the laptop started randomly shutting down.  I later found out when I took it to get fixed that by blocking the vents I ruined the thermal compound on the CPU and GPU heatsinks.  That's why it was shutting down: because without the thermal compound not enough heat was being transferred away from the CPU and GPU and they were overheating.

You should put your desktop tower on a firm flat surface that'll keep the vents from getting blocked.

I personally use this and I love it: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AJHCQD8/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_40?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

It's sturdy, durable, and best of all long enough that I can put my NZXT Phantom 240 case on it and still have room behind it on this shelf to put an external storage drive when I have one plugged in so it's got a stable place to sit while being used.  

But of course you could use something else if you have something suitable to use lying around or want something cheaper.  I just wanted to suggest something I know works well for me at least.

On 10/11/2016 at 6:41 PM, Bleedingyamato said:

Please for the love of Godoka do not put a computer on a surface where it can sink into it and block air intakes or exhaust.  It's bad...

Years ago when I got my very first laptop (first computer that mine only) I kept using it on carpet or a sleeping bag and it blocked the air vents on the bottom.  Then the laptop started randomly shutting down.  I later found out when I took it to get fixed that by blocking the vents I ruined the thermal compound on the CPU and GPU heatsinks.  That's why it was shutting down: because without the thermal compound not enough heat was being transferred away from the CPU and GPU and they were overheating.

You should put your desktop tower on a firm flat surface that'll keep the vents from getting blocked.

I personally use this and I love it: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AJHCQD8/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_40?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

It's sturdy, durable, and best of all long enough that I can put my NZXT Phantom 240 case on it and still have room behind it on this shelf to put an external storage drive when I have one plugged in so it's got a stable place to sit while being used.  

But of course you could use something else if you have something suitable to use lying around or want something cheaper.  I just wanted to suggest something I know works well for me at least.

Thanks, it has a feet but they just aren't raised enough.

7 minutes ago, AUSSIE_G4M3R said:

Thanks, it has a feet but they just aren't raised enough.

I think most if not all cases would have feet but like you said not enough to overcome carpeting.  That's why you need to have it on a flat surface or use a stand of some sort.  

It's an easy issue to solve I'd think.  Soft carpeting is nice for people but it doesn't get along well with computers.  lol

The computer shop said power supply's can't overheat is that correct, apparently its because if overclocking but i reset the bios to factory settings so its a faulty component (like CPU or Motherboard) if anything cause there's nothing else it could be otherwise it wouldn't start.

7 minutes ago, Bleedingyamato said:

I think most if not all cases would have feet but like you said not enough to overcome carpeting.  That's why you need to have it on a flat surface or use a stand of some sort.  

It's an easy issue to solve I'd think.  Soft carpeting is nice for people but it doesn't get along well with computers.  lol

Yeah I was just thinking of a piece of wood or something thin and flat.

57 minutes ago, AUSSIE_G4M3R said:

The computer shop said power supply's can't overheat is that correct, apparently its because if overclocking but i reset the bios to factory settings so its a faulty component (like CPU or Motherboard) if anything cause there's nothing else it could be otherwise it wouldn't start.

I'm pretty sure it is possible for a PSU to overheat.  Idk why they wouldn't know that.

@STRMfrmXMN can answer that question better than I can.

As for the other components I'm not sure about that stuff sorry.

10 hours ago, Bleedingyamato said:

I'm pretty sure it is possible for a PSU to overheat.  Idk why they wouldn't know that.

@STRMfrmXMN can answer that question better than I can.

As for the other components I'm not sure about that stuff sorry.

Yeah they can overheat. They usually just shut down or reboot themselves if they do.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

Just now, STRMfrmXMN said:

Yeah they can overheat. They usually just shut down or reboot themselves if they do.

Thank you for the info.

Aren't there some really bad models (corsair ones maybe?) that can actually catch fire or in some way fry themselves?    I thought I'd seen you talk about something like that a while back.  Not to imply that's in any way common of course. 

4 minutes ago, Bleedingyamato said:

Thank you for the info.

Aren't there some really bad models (corsair ones maybe?) that can actually catch fire or in some way fry themselves?    I thought I'd seen you talk about something like that a while back.  Not to imply that's in any way common of course. 

The old CX had a relatively low temperature tolerance and thus would reboot itself if it got too hot (which is a good thing). That's not a "catch fire" thing like many have made it out to be and it's gotten way out of hand with people seeing a Corsair CX (including the much improved new ones) and assuming the PC will just catch fire at any given moment.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

54 minutes ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

The old CX had a relatively low temperature tolerance and thus would reboot itself if it got too hot (which is a good thing). That's not a "catch fire" thing like many have made it out to be and it's gotten way out of hand with people seeing a Corsair CX (including the much improved new ones) and assuming the PC will just catch fire at any given moment.

Ah.  That's probably what I was thinking of.