How do I see the BB Code source when editing a topic?

FranBunnyFFXII

I need to copy the source code for a guide I've made to archive it. But can't find any option to edit the source, how do I find the BBCode version of editing?

Posts are actually in HTML. You can input in BBCode if you like. There's bit bugs on how and what tags will be converted. But actual posts will be in HTML.

@colonel_mortis can clarify if I've (again) understood how forums work falsely.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

25 minutes ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

Posts are actually in HTML. You can input in BBCode if you like. There's bit bugs on how and what tags will be converted. But actual posts will be in HTML.

@colonel_mortis can clarify if I've (again) understood how forums work falsely.

I think she was referring to editing BBCode previously entered. For example, when you paste BBCode from a PCPartPicker list and then edit your topic, you get a formatted version rather than the original BBCode plain text you copy off their website.

i5 12600KF | Zotac RTX 4080 Gaming trinity | Team Vulcan 2x16GB DDR4 3600 | ASRock Z690M-ITX/ac | WD Black SN850x 2TB

Cooler Master NR200P v2 | ID Cooling Zoomflow 280 XT | SeaSonic Focus SGX-750 | Thermalright 2x140mm + 2x120mm aRGB

LG C2 OLED 48" 120hz | Epomaker TH80 (Gateron Yellow) | Logitech MX Master 3 | Koss Porta Pro Comm

24 minutes ago, Aereldor said:

I think she was referring to editing BBCode previously entered. For example, when you paste BBCode from a PCPartPicker list and then edit your topic, you get a formatted version rather than the original BBCode plain text you copy off their website.

If OP has complied guide on forums rather than posting it from elsewhere, there is no source code for it. It is HTML and the code isn't released for security reasons.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

When you submit a post, all BBCode in that topic is converted to HTML (and sanitised), then stored like that. The BBCode is irreversibly converted to HTML I'm afraid.

If you just copy the contents of the editor, you should be able to paste it elsewhere on this site, and it should also paste correctly on most other sites that have a rich text editor, but there is no way to copy it as BBCode.

HTTP/2 203

2 hours ago, colonel_mortis said:

When you submit a post, all BBCode in that topic is converted to HTML (and sanitised), then stored like that. The BBCode is irreversibly converted to HTML I'm afraid.

If you just copy the contents of the editor, you should be able to paste it elsewhere on this site, and it should also paste correctly on most other sites that have a rich text editor, but there is no way to copy it as BBCode.

Why in the bloody hell would you do that?

37 minutes ago, FranBunnyFFXII said:

Because it has to be rendered as HTML for display, so it makes sense to store it like that too, rather than having to perform the (quite intensive) parsing process each time you view the post.

The output of the editor is HTML, not BBCode, so it makes some sense to normalise it all to HTML.

I would like to be able to edit BBCode too, but the developers have made it abundantly clear that they have no intention of supporting BBCode any more than they already are.

HTTP/2 203

2 hours ago, FranBunnyFFXII said:

I think it's much easier and thus more convenient to use LTT's onboard formatting options than to have to type in stuff like < b > and < /b> over again. I'd rather select what I need to and format it using the options available here.

Or is there something which you can only do with BBCode?

i5 12600KF | Zotac RTX 4080 Gaming trinity | Team Vulcan 2x16GB DDR4 3600 | ASRock Z690M-ITX/ac | WD Black SN850x 2TB

Cooler Master NR200P v2 | ID Cooling Zoomflow 280 XT | SeaSonic Focus SGX-750 | Thermalright 2x140mm + 2x120mm aRGB

LG C2 OLED 48" 120hz | Epomaker TH80 (Gateron Yellow) | Logitech MX Master 3 | Koss Porta Pro Comm