I want a 4K TV.

We're looking into getting a 4K TV. OLED is obviously the way to go, but it's way too expensive. Do you think it will get any cheaper soon? How long before a good 65" 4K OLED panel lowers into the sub $3 000 range? Also, what is the best sub $3 000 4K 65" TV right now? 

EDIT: Thanks for the replies, much appreciated. I forgot to say I mean $3000 CAD.

8 minutes ago, aadam_27 said:

We're looking into getting a 4K TV. OLED is obviously the way to go, but it's way too expensive. Do you think it will get any cheaper soon? How long before a good 65" 4K OLED panel lowers into the sub $3 000 range?

I'm not holding my breath very much on OLED and part of the reason is they have an issue with burn-in. If you were to get something now, it's 4K HDR or bust, and HDR is a killer on brightness. Everyone complains about burn-in on OLED and my few OLED devices managed to survive without burn-in, but I also run them at the lowest brightness possible. You can get an LCD with local dimming if really high contrast is important to you, but even without local dimming, as long as you're not watching dark stuff all the time, you're probably not going to get aggravated by it.

8 minutes ago, aadam_27 said:

Also, what is the best sub $3 000 4K 65" TV right now? 

I'd say something from Samsung, but I'd throw in Sony's X950D in the lot too.

16 minutes ago, aadam_27 said:

We're looking into getting a 4K TV. OLED is obviously the way to go, but it's way too expensive. Do you think it will get any cheaper soon? How long before a good 65" 4K OLED panel lowers into the sub $3 000 range? Also, what is the best sub $3 000 4K 65" TV right now? 

honestly at that price range i would get an OLED panel. though the risk is burn-in, as Yurizaki mentioned  

10 minutes ago, SCGazelle said:

according to rtings (a very good TV reviewer i might add), it's one of the best  all-rounder OLED TVs you can get right now. 

http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/b6?uxtv=e0df

if you don't have the coin for an OLED then get a Samsung Quantum Dot 8000 series, thats your next best black levels and you need the 2016 versions (denoted by the K before the number on Samsung) to get HDR LG's have some Quantum Dot HDR's but LG backlighting concerns me, on multiple 1080p and a 4k LG of several different screen sizes I have NEVER been able to get there "blackness" as good without totally wrecking the rest of the picture, even the cheaper Sharp 4k I have now gets MUCH blacker, almost to the level of the 2014 Samsung 4k I sold off.

On 2016-11-04 at 2:42 PM, Daniel644 said:

if you don't have the coin for an OLED then get a Samsung Quantum Dot 8000 series, thats your next best black levels and you need the 2016 versions (denoted by the K before the number on Samsung) to get HDR LG's have some Quantum Dot HDR's but LG backlighting concerns me, on multiple 1080p and a 4k LG of several different screen sizes I have NEVER been able to get there "blackness" as good without totally wrecking the rest of the picture, even the cheaper Sharp 4k I have now gets MUCH blacker, almost to the level of the 2014 Samsung 4k I sold off.

Ok. Is the 9000 series much better? What are the differences?

1 hour ago, aadam_27 said:

Ok. Is the 9000 series much better? What are the differences?

from what I can see, edgelit on the 8000 Samsungs and local dimming on 9000 here check out this site http://www.rtings.com/

and see there reviews on the TV's you're comparing.

LG. Not sure about the price for a 65" but they rolled out some new ones earlier this year, like a 49" IPS for less than $500. The 65" shouldn't be a hell of a lot more expensive.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the replies. How much should I be spending on a 4K TV? If I spend, say, $3000 CAD am I wasting my money?