What phone should I get in Christmas?

bradhchen
Go to solution Solved by mgsstar,

I would get the Nexus 5 also because Google will support this device with updates for a while and Android is fully customizable which allows you to mod and optimize your device if you feel that your device in the future gets slow.

I'm getting my first smartphone in December. Problem is, I don't know which one to get. Should I get the iPhone 5S or the HTC One? I'm open to suggestions. I'm looking for something with great performance, as "future-proof" as possible, and needs to have great aesthetics. Thanks

Whatever Santa delivers.

Do you guys think that the HTC One will be outdated by December?

Nexus 5/Moto X

And Santa doesn't exist.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

And Santa doesn't exist.

you-dont-say.png

Yeah, like everyone said, get any of these phones, they are alll great, but what is  your budged?

Do you guys think that the HTC One will be outdated by December?

No, but the Nexus 5 will be faster and have a better OS (no aftermarket crap) unless you get the play edition

I honestly think the Nexus 5 would be the best for "future proofing" because Google supports their phones for a very long time. HTC and Samsung tends to ditch their phones after a year or two.

Case-NZXT H440 | Motherboard-Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H | RAM-Kingston HyperX Blue 2x8GB 1600MHz | CPU-Intel 3770K @ 4.3GHz at 1.215v | Heatsink-Coolermaster Hyper212 Evo | GPU-EVGA GTX660 SC | SSD-MX200 250GB | HDD-Seagate Barracuda 3TB | PSU-EVGA GS650

Mouse-Logitech G600 | Keyboard-Ducky Shine 3 MX Blue. white backlight | Headphones-Audiotechnica ATH-M50s. Beyerdynamic DT990

What are your thoughts about the iPhone 5S? I've grown up with iOS and if I go with the Nexus 5 it would be my first Android device ever.

I would get the Nexus 5 also because Google will support this device with updates for a while and Android is fully customizable which allows you to mod and optimize your device if you feel that your device in the future gets slow.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

I'm getting my first smartphone in December. Problem is, I don't know which one to get. Should I get the iPhone 5S or the HTC One? I'm open to suggestions. I'm looking for something with great performance, as "future-proof" as possible, and needs to have great aesthetics. Thanks

This is a troll thread right?

"Say it, do it, preach it, shout it, but never, absolutely never, believe your own bullshit"   

Credited with the whole female avatar trend

Your thoughts here http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/67178-your-top-three/

What are your thoughts about the iPhone 5S? I've grown up with iOS and if I go with the Nexus 5 it would be my first Android device ever.

Slower, crappier resolution, smaller (compared to a Nexus 5)and Android is a much nicer operating system

Slower, crappier resolution, smaller (compared to a Nexus 5)and Android is a much nicer operating system

5S is fast, don't know whatchu' talkin' bout' 

OS - Windows 8.1 Motherboard - ASUS M5A99FX Pro R2.0 Processor - AMD FX 8350 Black Edition RAM - 16GB 2x8 Crucial Ballistix Sport Graphics Card - Gigabyte Windforce 2 OC GTX 660 Power Supply - Corsair CX750M CPU Cooler - NZXT Kraken X60 Wireless Adapter - ASUS PCE-N15 PCI-E Adapter Fans - x3 Masscool blue LED 120mm Fans Case - Fractal Design Define R4

Monitor - Dell S2230MX 21.5-inch Keyboard - Logitech G105 Mouse - Logitech G602 Speakers - Logitech Z130 Headsets/Headphones - Tt eSports Shock, AKG K240, California Headphones Laredo Phone - iPhone 4S

Nexus 5 is a Snapdragon 800, hence the performance as compared to the LG phone is approximately the same. Hence, 5S is faster.
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2424668,00.asp

CPU: i5 4670k @ 4.6-4.4 GHz| Case: NZXT Phantom 410 (White/Blue) | Motherbord: ASUS Maximus VI Hero|
RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 2x8GB (Red) 1600MHz CL9 GPU: ASUS DirectCU II OC GTX 670 4GB (GTX670-DC2-4GD5) Power Supply: Corsair AX760i
Others: Samsung 840 Pro 128GB, WD Green 2TB, 2 Toshiba 500GB, CM TPC 612, Razer Black Widow Ultimate 2013 Stealth Edition, Razer Naga 2013, Razer Electra (oh this is shit...), Razer Moray+ , Razer Goliathus Speed Edition, Audio Technica ATH2500

In addition to the previously posted benchmark, the only reason the resolution is lower is because the screen size itself is smaller. Making the resolution larger would do nothing more than beef up the specs on paper and sacrifice battery life and performance for diminishing returns. As to Android being a nicer operating system, I completely disagree, granted my only experience with stock Android recently was owning the Nexus 10 which was a godawful device. 

In addition to the previously posted benchmark, the only reason the resolution is lower is because the screen size itself is smaller. Making the resolution larger would do nothing more than beef up the specs on paper and sacrifice battery life and performance for diminishing returns. As to Android being a nicer operating system, I completely disagree, granted my only experience with stock Android recently was owning the Nexus 10 which was a godawful device.

The iPhone 5 has 100 less PPI

Note 3

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk

FX8120 @ 5.0GHz | Sabertooth 990FX | Patriot Viper Xtreme 8GB @ 2133MHz | Powercolor HD7950 @ 1300/1800 | Bitfenix Shinobi XL Modded | Corsair AX850 | Mushkin 120GB & Seagate 2TB | Bitfenix Recon | 5X SP120 PE | 6X Yate Loon 120mm HS

Koolance 200 Res | 2X Koolance 360 Rads | Danger Den CPX Pro | EK 7950 Block | Koolance CPU Block | Bitspower & XSPC Fittings

Green Machine

Note 3

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk

I'm loving my note 3

I would say if you are comfortable with ios, why switch? if it does what you like and is familliar to you, then go for the 5s. the stuff about screen resolution is rubbish. anything above around 300 ppi is overkill. adding resolution is only for the sake of fanboys having something else to throw at them to convince them that is is better when it actually makes no difference. *cough*coolbeans*cough* it does nothing more that making it look better on paper. however, if you feel like a change and feel that ios is not customizable/moddable as you would like, by all means go for the nexus 5 as it is an excellent phone. but don't switch if you are happy with ios. by no means am i an ios fanboy nor an android fanboy. i personally use an android phone but i would also be able to use an ios device with ease. its 100% preference, so don't come trolling the forum forcing other people to agree with your opinion.*cough*coolbeans*cough*

nexus 5 

I don't always have time to study, but when I do, I don't.

Well the iPhone 5S has a 64 bit processor, which might not be beneficial now but might make a difference in speediness in the future when more apps are made for it. I have an iPhone 5 at the moment and I've been tempted to buy the HTC One - that is a very pretty phone :) It depends on what you're doing with it. If you'll watch a lot of video the HTC would be better because of the front facing speakers and larger screen, but the iPhone is a little more stable and will get continuous updates. Both could easily last you two years, I think it's up to you which one you go for. They're both nice devices, but if it was me I'd buy an HTC.

| My first build: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/117400-my-very-first-build/ | Build for my friend's 18th: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/168660-pc-for-my-friends-18th-with-pictures-complete/ |

ATH-M50X Review: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/165934-review-audio-technica-ath-m50-x/ | Nintendo 3DS XL Review: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/179711-nintendo-3ds-xl-review/ | Game Capture Guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/186547-ultimate-guide-to-recording-your-gameplay/

Case: Corsair 200R CPU: i5 4670K @ 3.4GHz RAM: Corsair 8GB 1600MHz C9 Mobo: GIGABYTE Z87-HD3 GPU: MSI R9 290 Cooler: Hyper 212 EVO PSU: EVGA 750W Storage: 120GB SSD, 1TB HDD Display: Dell U2212HM OS: Windows 8

I have the 4s at the momemnt but will switch to note 3 as soon as I have the funds.  My cousin just recently bought one herself. She was nice enough to let me play with it to setup it up for her and download relevant  apps.  I just love the 5.7 samoled display it murders the 5s's. Excellent speed and functionality and not to mention the photo and video quality.  Spen works beautifully...no lag.

all in all an iphone killer in every way.