Is Water Cooling Worth It?

Is water cooling worth it for a productivity machine that will not see any sort of gaming and would only get a mild overclock on a 6800k processor? Compared to running something like a Noctua D15S?

With a mild overclock and purely a productivity machine? Nope.

Gaming - Ryzen 5800X3D | 64GB 3200mhz  MSI 6900 XT Mini-ITX SFF Build

Home Server (Unraid OS) - Ryzen 2700x | 48GB 3200mhz |  EVGA 1060 6GB | 6TB SSD Cache [3x2TB] 66TB HDD [11x6TB]

IF your not pushing your clock speeds then no don't bother.

The geek himself.

It is totally worth it if you have the time, money and DESIRE to make an awesome watercooled PC.

It is not worth it if you are not interested in doing so and don't have plans of overclocking it (much).

EDIT: totally forgot about AIO water cooler kits. These can be very effective, but as someone above me said, water cooling adds more points of failure. A good air cooler like the noctua can keep up with a cheaper water cooler, and if the fan dies, your cpu wont instantly overheat.

When in doubt, re-format.

Not sure how expensive air coolers are but you can get a good water cooler for $50 usd

Pre-built. 

2 minutes ago, CookieMaster said:

Not sure how expensive air coolers are but you can get a good water cooler for $50 usd

Pre-built. 

Sure, but air coolers are MUCH more simple. Nothing invisible can break. Sure, the fan can break, but usually the mobo will throw up a warning for that. In a water cooling setup, you have the fans on the rad, the pump, and all the plumbing to worry about. Is the plumbing clogged up? Should you take it off and check? Not to mention that if you do manage to spring a leak you can quite possibly ruin components on your board.

Air cooling all the way, especially for the OPs purpose. 

That WOULD make an interesting video though. What's a better value... lower end CPU with large overclock and watercooling, or higher end CPU to start with?

For your needs, the only reason you would want a water cooler is because they look cool. So no, don't waste your money on one. Get an air cooler and you're set.

AMD FX 6300 @ 4.6 Ghz CRYORIG H7 Asus M5A97 PLUS | HyperX Fury 8 GB DDR3 | PNY CS1311 120gb SSD WD Blue 1TB 7200 RPM EVGA GeForce GTX 950 Superclocked NZXT Source 210 Black EVGA 500B Logitech G Pro HP K3500 Wireless Keyboard |

I have a low-end AIO water-cooler in my system now, but I am considering a standard air-cooler (CM 212evo) for my AMD FX 8350 since i run at out-of-the-box settings, the pump sound has increased steadily since i bought it despite regular cleaning, so if it fits your budget i would go for extra case fans and a reliable air-cooler.    

I think its worth it - every time i look up and see my build and think of all the time i spent planning and building it, it makes me happy.

But do i get any extra performance out of it - no not really, but that's not why i did it.

Build Log : Red N White Army

System Specs

NZXT S340

i7 4790k

Z97 MSI Gaming 5

Palit 980 Ti Super Jetstream

16GB HyperX Savage 1866 RAM

Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD

EVGA 750W G2 PSU

Custom Cooling Loop

Nope, not needed at all. I would settle for a quieter heatsink/fan combo like the NH-D15 as you said... but only if you don't forsee the need to change RAM. They are huge! - I would probably just go with a slimmer model in this usage case, maybe the NH U9s https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/FcfmP6/noctua-cpu-cooler-nhu9s

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

I don't know about AIOs but custom water cooling isnt worth it.  the performance gain per price is already past diminishing returns.

<-  custom loop owner

You could get an all-in-one CPU watercooler; good ones are almost the same as a high quality air cooler. They are very reliable nowadays and heck of a lot easier to clean out. 

On 02/11/2016 at 2:29 PM, xentropa said:

I don't know about AIOs but custom water cooling isnt worth it.  the performance gain per price is already past diminishing returns.

<-  custom loop owner

I agree, but the COOLNESS gain per price is potentially huge, and I don't mean temps! :D

System: Ryzen 7 5800X - Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master - Noctua D15S Chromax - 32GB 3600 RAM - EVGA Black 2080Ti

If its a daily driver and you not pushing the overclock or abusing it with a full load 24/7 then no point in going water cooled.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

For a work station so can water cooling be worth it, if you need silence (for sound work and so on).

Its harder to get air silent, without having high temps (big rads means slower fan speed).

I speak my mind, sorry if thats a problem.

If I ever did liquid cooling it would be an AIO system..but even then my biggest worry is dumping all of this money into a system and it would only take one leak to ruin it all. And then I'm out however much gets ruined in the process. And they do look cool lol.

22 minutes ago, militant83 said:

If I ever did liquid cooling it would be an AIO system..but even then my biggest worry is dumping all of this money into a system and it would only take one leak to ruin it all. And then I'm out however much gets ruined in the process. And they do look cool lol.

Air coolers can ruin your PC as well, but its usually do to the weight of them (biggest problem during transport). Air cooling can also raise the overall system temperature, depending on overall air flow in the case.

AIO's are normally as safe as air cooling, as they dont leak without a reason (they dont deteriorate enough to leak or damage them self).

So I would not use that as an argument against it.

I speak my mind, sorry if thats a problem.