Wii U production ending this week

goodtofufriday

Source: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-11-01-nintendo-to-end-wii-u-production-this-week

wii-u-gamepad-and-console-1.0.jpg

Nintendo will end Wii U production this Friday, multiple sources have confirmed to Eurogamer.

At the last official count, as of 30th September, Nintendo had shipped 13.36m Wii U consoles. The Wii U's final tally will likely now be only slightly more.

For comparisons sake, GameCube sold 21m. N64 sold 32m. Wii sold 101m.

For the 12 months ending 31st March 2017, Nintendo forecasted it would ship just 800k Wii U units. 560k of those had already been shifted as of 30th September, suggesting a further 240k will have been produced since then, as of this Friday, to round out the console for good.

An unceremonious end to a lack luster console that was plagued with marketing issues. I love the Wii U for the 4 or 5 games that I have for it, but as a console it is very reminiscent of the Sega Saturn IMO. 

CPU: Amd 7800X3D | GPU: AMD 7900XTX

Does this mean that the switch should be close to release?

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

About time. Hopefully the Nintendo switch helps them somehow, because at this point, since the Wii, noones been nice to Nintendo, and they have been really treading deep water. Why stock up on Wii Us that noone will buy, thats just a waste of money.

CPU: Pentium G3258 @ 3.2GHz || GPU:(first release,used) MSI R9 270 OC || Motherboard:MSI Z97-G45 Gaming Motherboard || RAM: 8 GB G.Skill Sniper 1600 || Monitors: Vizio 22 in Ultra slim 1080p TV || Storage: Seagate barracuda 160 GB 7200RPM,(REFURB) 1TB toshiba 7200RPM || PSU: (stripped from 2013 CAD PC)Corsair CX600 build was under $420

BE SURE TO FOLLOW YOUR THREADS! READ THIS BEFORE POSTING IN TROUBLESHOOTING!! http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/40334-read-before-asking-for-help/

2 minutes ago, The Benjamins said:

No, they wont release the switch until next year sometime. But they just haven't had enough sales to justify making more than the 13.3 M units that should sell into next year. Please take the time to simply read the article.

CPU: Pentium G3258 @ 3.2GHz || GPU:(first release,used) MSI R9 270 OC || Motherboard:MSI Z97-G45 Gaming Motherboard || RAM: 8 GB G.Skill Sniper 1600 || Monitors: Vizio 22 in Ultra slim 1080p TV || Storage: Seagate barracuda 160 GB 7200RPM,(REFURB) 1TB toshiba 7200RPM || PSU: (stripped from 2013 CAD PC)Corsair CX600 build was under $420

BE SURE TO FOLLOW YOUR THREADS! READ THIS BEFORE POSTING IN TROUBLESHOOTING!! http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/40334-read-before-asking-for-help/

10 minutes ago, G33k 4 L1F3 said:

No, they wont release the switch until next year sometime. But they just haven't had enough sales to justify making more than the 13.3 M units that should sell into next year. Please take the time to simply read the article.

I know it will not be out till next year but I now think it will release soon after the announcement in January.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

To be honest, the Wii U is a great console. The reason it failed was simply because of lack of games. I know people hate motion controls and Nintendo went a bit overboard with that but that wouldn't cripple the Wii U enough to bring it to its demise. And besides, they would have figured that out even quicker than they did if there were more games for people to complain about.

In short, the Wii U was fine as a console. It just didn't have any games, which is really retarded imo. I don't know how that console didn't get more games or who's fault it is, but if it had as many good games as other consoles of its time it would have done just fine.

i7-4790k | MSI Z97 GAMING-5 | Corsair Vengeance 16 GB | Samsung EVO-850 250GB SSD & WD blue 1 TB HDD | EVGA 1070 SC | Red NZXT H440 | Cooler Master G650W

Yay!!!

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

15 minutes ago, Railgun said:

To be honest, the Wii U is a great console. The reason it failed was simply because of lack of games. I know people hate motion controls and Nintendo went a bit overboard with that but that wouldn't cripple the Wii U enough to bring it to its demise. And besides, they would have figured that out even quicker than they did if there were more games for people to complain about.

In short, the Wii U was fine as a console. It just didn't have any games, which is really retarded imo. I don't know how that console didn't get more games or who's fault it is, but if it had as many good games as other consoles of its time it would have done just fine.

the wii u was the only console i would get until last year.

i might still get it, depending on the price and what the switch can do.

3 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

The Wii U had good games. Problem was it didn't have shit on the 3rd party side. 

Sucks to see it die relatively early.

yea, but not on release. the good games came out years after..

i remember when people thought it was just a controller for the wii..

7 minutes ago, apm said:

the wii u was the only console i would get until last year.

i might still get it, depending on the price and what the switch can do.

You can play a lot of Wii U games pretty well with CEMU now.

31 minutes ago, Starelementpoke said:

RIP Wii U. I liked the motion controls to be honest on the Wii. I was that guy.

Except with Skyward Sword, that was shit. But I too liked them. I still whip out the Wii once in a while and flap it around for a bit. :ph34r:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

7 hours ago, The Benjamins said:

IIRC, the Switch will be released in March 2017, if I remember the announcement coverage correctly.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)