Qi wireless charging question

CelluloidRacer2

My phone supports wireless qi charging, but only with a 'special' case. The case doesn't plug into my phone, so I'm curious why I would need it. My phone is the Sony Xperia Z3

Spoiler

Intel G3258 (Corsair H60, OC'd to 4.5 GHz) | Kingston HyperX Fury 8GB (1x8) | Gtx 750Ti | Corsair CX500M | WD Black 750 GB 7200 RPM HDD | Cooler Master Elite 335U (donated by friend)

1 minute ago, M.Yurizaki said:

You don't need it. It's a feature you can use if you want to use it.

Thanks 

Spoiler

Intel G3258 (Corsair H60, OC'd to 4.5 GHz) | Kingston HyperX Fury 8GB (1x8) | Gtx 750Ti | Corsair CX500M | WD Black 750 GB 7200 RPM HDD | Cooler Master Elite 335U (donated by friend)

8 minutes ago, CelluloidRacer2 said:

My phone supports wireless qi charging, but only with a 'special' case. The case doesn't plug into my phone, so I'm curious why I would need it. My phone is the Sony Xperia Z3

It contains the coils that create alternating induction currents to charge your phone. If it's like my phone (LG G4), it supports Qi wireless charging but you have to have a case or phone backing that has the wireless charging coils in them. Otherwise it won't work. Not sure if the Xperia Z3 works the same way though.