PC won't fully start

PandaCruncher

this just started tonight, when I tried to run borderlands 2... any ideas on what it may be?

did you see anything on the monitor? For me, my windows was corrupted, and it went into bootloop

1 minute ago, gtx1060=value said:

did you see anything on the monitor? For me, my windows was corrupted, and it went into bootloop

Yeah I got the blue reboot troubleshoot screen a few time thin this

Pretty sure this one doesn't have anything to do with Windows in this case. Couple things to try:

• Reset the CMOS
  • Ensure all power connections are secure
    • Got another PSU lying around? Try swapping the PSU and see if there's any change.
  • Pull the GPU, all RAM, and basically everything but the power cables and the CPU+cooler. Does it stay on?
    • If yes, try adding parts back to the equation one by one

3 minutes ago, Runefox said:

Pretty sure this one doesn't have anything to do with Windows in this case. Couple things to try:

• Reset the CMOS
    • Got another PSU lying around? Try swapping the PSU and see if there's any change.
  • Pull the GPU, all RAM, and basically everything but the power cables and the CPU+cooler. Does it stay on?

No extra psu but I'll try the rest 

You might also want to place the GPU in a different slot, if any are available.

You might also want to try one stick of ram, and test all slots. If none work, try the second stick in all slots. If your motherboard has onboard video, try that instead of the GPU.

54 minutes ago, Runefox said:

• Reset the CMOS

After resetting the cmos and testing parts, I found that one of my 4gb hyperx fury ram dimms ain't working, with it in the boot cycle continues. Rip

2 minutes ago, PandaCruncher said:

After resetting the cmos and testing parts, I found that one of my 4gb hyperx fury ram dimms ain't working, with it in the boot cycle continues. Rip

Time for an RMA. Good thing Kingston does lifetime on RAM!

4 minutes ago, PandaCruncher said:

@Runefox @Dutch-stoner @gtx1060=value The ram seems to be working today however windows won't boot properly,  last night it would sign me into a temporary profile, and today windows won't even boot??

safe to assume windows is corrupted? :(

yes - get a new install disk

44 minutes ago, PandaCruncher said:

@Runefox @Dutch-stoner @gtx1060=value The ram seems to be working today however windows won't boot properly,  last night it would sign me into a temporary profile, and today windows won't even boot??

safe to assume windows is corrupted? :(

I would just download windows onto a usb and go into bios and set the boot disk to the usb - then just reinstall windows

I would first run Memtest86 to be sure the RAM is actually good, and I'd check the hard drive with SeaTools for DOS afterwards to be sure it's above board, too. Then I'd go ahead with the Windows reinstall if everything checks out.

7 minutes ago, Runefox said:

I would first run Memtest86 to be sure the RAM is actually good, and I'd check the hard drive with SeaTools for DOS afterwards to be sure it's above board, too. Then I'd go ahead with the Windows reinstall if everything checks out.

How would I run this if windows won't start?

Just now, PandaCruncher said:

How would I run this if windows won't start?

Memtest86 can be placed onto a USB flash drive as an EFI-bootable program, while SeaTools you'd need to either burn or create a USB boot drive using Rufus or Universal USB Installer and set your BIOS to boot in Legacy mode rather than UEFI.

1 hour ago, Runefox said:

Memtest86 can be placed onto a USB flash drive as an EFI-bootable program, while SeaTools you'd need to either burn or create a USB boot drive using Rufus or Universal USB Installer and set your BIOS to boot in Legacy mode rather than UEFI.

It's been running for an hour with no errors so seems good