Is google cast almost pointless on Android TV

Hi everyone, I was just thinking about the Nvidia Shield TV and Razer Forge TV and realized, since both devices run Android TV is there really a point to their cast functionality? Any video I want to watch on youtube I can just use the TV app. For music I can just use the google play/spotify app. Netflix and Plex for shows/movies etc.

The only uses I can see for google cast are putting pictures from your phone on the big screen, or searching videos cause you can type faster on your phone than with the remote.

Am I missing something or do you guys agree?

You can screen share from certain Android phones and a Chrome tab from Windows. It isn't useful to some people, to others, it is the most useful thing in the world.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

1 minute ago, Drak3 said:

You can screen share from certain Android phones and a Chrome tab from Windows. It isn't useful to some people, to others, it is the most useful thing in the world.

Ahhh there it is. I totally forgot about sharing the PC screen. Personally dont find that useful but it would be really handy in a presentation or something.

38 minutes ago, bobhays said:

Ahhh there it is. I totally forgot about sharing the PC screen. Personally dont find that useful but it would be really handy in a presentation or something.

90% of what I do with my Chromecast is mirroring a Chrome tab or a desktop view to my TV. It's extremely useful for that because it eliminates needing a really long HDMI cable or an expensive wireless HDMI dongle. It's kinda annoying with the lag, so it's not smooth when using a mouse on the TV, but if I'm presenting something, I'll normally be in front of my computer.

My main computer:

i7 6700k || GTX 1070 || Asus Z170 RGB || C.M. Hyper 212 EVO || 16GB RAM || 256GB NVMe SSD || 500GB SATA SSD || 12TB total HDD || Define R5 Blackout || 850W PSU

More Details Below :) 

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k                             GPU:  EVGA GTX 1070 FTW                                  |  Motherboard: Asus Z170 Pro Gaming Aura
CPU Cooler: C.M. Hyper 212 EVO             RAM: 16GB Kingston Fury 4x4 DDR4 2400MHz         SSD:  Intel 256GB NVMe SSD & Plextor 500GB SATA SSD

Hard Drive:  WD 2TB Black, 2TB WD Blue, 8TB WD Red     Case:  Fractal Design Define R5 Blackout Edition   PSU:  Be Quiet! Dark Power Pro 11 850W

Additional Computer Parts: NZXT Hue for LEDs

Peripherals: Dell U2414H (x2) || Corsair Sabre RGB || Corsair K95 Platinum || Sennheiser 558's || Modmic

Pictures of setup:

1 minute ago, njmyers3 said:

90% of what I do with my Chromecast is mirroring a Chrome tab or a desktop view to my TV. It's extremely useful for that because it eliminates needing a really long HDMI cable or an expensive wireless HDMI dongle. It's kinda annoying with the lag, so it's not smooth when using a mouse on the TV, but if I'm presenting something, I'll normally be in front of my computer.

Are you saying that it's good for a presentation or that during a presentation you'd be using your computer?

Out of curiosity what are you streaming from chrome to a TV that often? I find it easier to work on a monitor and for most video apps there's an android tv version.

1 minute ago, bobhays said:

Are you saying that it's good for a presentation or that during a presentation you'd be using your computer?

Out of curiosity what are you streaming from chrome to a TV that often? I find it easier to work on a monitor and for most video apps there's an android tv version.

I'm saying that it's good for presenting, but I would control it from my computer, not use a wireless keyboard in front of the TV.

I'm mostly streaming tutorials or presentations to my family, sometimes I'll show a word document, or a powerpoint, amazon items that I want, or how to do basic computer tasks.

My main computer:

i7 6700k || GTX 1070 || Asus Z170 RGB || C.M. Hyper 212 EVO || 16GB RAM || 256GB NVMe SSD || 500GB SATA SSD || 12TB total HDD || Define R5 Blackout || 850W PSU

More Details Below :) 

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k                             GPU:  EVGA GTX 1070 FTW                                  |  Motherboard: Asus Z170 Pro Gaming Aura
CPU Cooler: C.M. Hyper 212 EVO             RAM: 16GB Kingston Fury 4x4 DDR4 2400MHz         SSD:  Intel 256GB NVMe SSD & Plextor 500GB SATA SSD

Hard Drive:  WD 2TB Black, 2TB WD Blue, 8TB WD Red     Case:  Fractal Design Define R5 Blackout Edition   PSU:  Be Quiet! Dark Power Pro 11 850W

Additional Computer Parts: NZXT Hue for LEDs

Peripherals: Dell U2414H (x2) || Corsair Sabre RGB || Corsair K95 Platinum || Sennheiser 558's || Modmic

Pictures of setup:

22 hours ago, Canada EH said:

Anything with Google in the name, and your info is being sold.

Got some kool-aid to share?

1 hour ago, Hypnotoad said:

Got some kool-aid to share?

Its fact man, they even scan your emails.