Best MECH keyboards

Watashi
1 minute ago, Doomerson said:

What mechanical keyboards would you guys suggest buying, and why?

K70. Very high quality build and very reputable and time tested. And that RGBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBB

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Those who know much are aware that they know little. - Slick roasting me

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

Offical first poster LTT V2.0

do you mean brand or switch? switch is mostly preference. in terms of build quality, the best brands would be filco, realforce, ibm/unicomp, and some ducky

Altair - Firestrike: http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/13945459

CPU:  i7-4790 @ 3.6 GHz Motherboard: Gigabyte B85M-DS3H-A RAM: 16GB @ 1600MHz CL11 GPU: XFX RX 470 RS Storage: ADATA SP550 240GB | WD Blue 1TB | Toshiba 2TB PSU: EVGA B2 750W Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro Fans: Phanteks PH-F200SP (Front) | Phanteks PH-F140SP (Rear) | Noctua NF-A15 (Top)

Mouse: Logitech G502 | Keyboard: Corsair K70 MX Brown | Audio: Sennheiser HD 558

In terms of 'if-money-was-no-object' best, probably some Topre or custom Korean keyboard.

In terms of 'affordable' best, something like the Ducky Shine 5 RGB.

But mostly, it's going to come down to preference. There may be a specific switch or form factor that you prefer or want.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01ITE93VA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Master Keys Pro M, no software to deal with, no RGB, it's compact but has a neat feature that keeps the number pad, you switch it between number pad and function key modes, got mine with Reds, it's pretty alright, basically an upgraded version of their last model

It also has a built in snake game

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

17 minutes ago, Doomerson said:

What mechanical keyboards would you guys suggest buying, and why?

Whatever feels the best for you. This is a very subjective area that only you can decide for yourself. Don't go buy a $400 keyboard right off the bat. It takes time to find out what you want in a keyboard. I suggest finding a cheap (but durable) keyboard with cherry brown switches and nkey rollover to start with and then, when you feel it's right, sell it and upgrade. This is all assuming you're new to mechanical keyboards.

And just to show off, here is my keyboard:

41MWPEDPGDL.jpg

Coming from a K70 user Id have to say K70, but the Ducky keyboards are rlly good too and theyre just as high quality as the K70's.

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

11 hours ago, ADryAussie said:

Whatever feels the best for you. This is a very subjective area that only you can decide for yourself. Don't go buy a $400 keyboard right off the bat. It takes time to find out what you want in a keyboard. I suggest finding a cheap (but durable) keyboard with cherry brown switches and nkey rollover to start with and then, when you feel it's right, sell it and upgrade. This is all assuming you're new to mechanical keyboards.

And just to show off, here is my keyboard:

41MWPEDPGDL.jpg

What does NK rollover do? and what the differences between cherry MX blue, red, and brown?

12 hours ago, Streetguru said:

It also has a built in snake game

What? I now feel like I need to upgrade my keyboard just for Snake... :P 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

31 minutes ago, Doomerson said:

What does NK rollover do? and what the differences between cherry MX blue, red, and brown?

N-key rollover means that each keystroke is registered, even if you mash tons of keys at the same time. It's useful in some games.

Blue switches have a tactile bump that you can feel when you press a key, and they make an audible click upon actuation. They're ever so marginally heavier than reds or browns, and are favored for typing and office work, but they still make for great gaming. 

Red switches are preferred by most gamers because they're a fairly light switch, and they're linear, meaning there's no bump or click, just a straight shot to the bottom. This allows them to trigger faster than most other switch types, and allows for double-pressing.

Brown switches are kind of a happy medium. They're as heavy as red switches, but they have a very slight tactile bump at the bottom. There's no click. I'm dying to get my hands on an MX Brown keyboard as soon as the right one hits the right sale price. I mean, if Rosewill can pull off a $30 Cherry MX Blue keyboard, they have to be able to do the same for an MX Brown sooner or later, right?

There are a few other Cherry switch types. The most common of those is probably black, which is a heavier red. Green also shows up every so often, which is a heavier blue. There are also grays (I think they're gray?) that are basically reds, but with a shorter travel distance for faster actuation. Deskthority has a good writeup on the various switch types, and there are a few really good comparisons out there not just of Cherry switches, but of their Kailh, Gateron, Outemu and other assorted knockoff cousins.

I enjoy buying junk and sinking more money than it's worth into it to make it less junk.

G.Skill KM780. I found it far superior to the K70.

There is no "best" switch type. I'd prefer a shorter Red or Black. I'm not a fan of Blue and hate Brown.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

On 31/10/2016 at 0:56 AM, Doomerson said:

aisle9 did a very good reply to this but I thought I'd add something:

Note that there is no red but they sound very similar to the browns and the big difference is the FEEL anyway.

Good luck on your keyboard journey!