How fast should I get my RAM

So I am upgrading to skylake and I am wondering what speed should I get my DDR4 RAM 16GB at and what would faster RAM benefit? thanks

Just now, PCNoobie said:

what is your pc for? gaming?

yes

Any DDR4 will do for most uses, really. High speed RAM can benefit some applications such as video editing and rendering, 3D modelling and such. In most cases, it doesn't make much difference, though. 

For gaming, it makes basically no difference at all. 

really does not matter as much as anyone would have you believe. just dont get 1333 and you wont notice anything. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

For gaming? 2400Mhz.

For word processing? 2400Mhz.

For rendering? 2400Mhz.

For scientific work? 2400Mhz.

For engineering? 2400Mhz.

For anime fans? >9000Mhz.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

Get whatever looks good and comes from a reputable brand, just don't get RAM that is 2800MHz out of the box. For some reason, 2800MHz isn't stable on a lot of mainboards and chipsets, but 2666 and 3200MHz is.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

Just now, Thread212 said:

really??

Apparently. I was watching a JayzTwoCents review of the MSI X99A Gaming and he actually goes into the issue while talking about the Gaming 7's overclocking potential and granular control. MSI actually omitted the option to run the RAM at 2800MHz, but it can still do 3200MHz.

Also, nice build.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

Why are people saying that faster RAM makes no difference at all? Are you guys simply regurgitating Linus' video on it despite it being wrong in so many aspects?

Here's the bottom line when it comes to RAM for gaming - the biggest benefit from faster RAM is that it will provide higher minimum framerates. In CPU-intensive areas or in situations where the CPU is the bottleneck, this may also translate into higher average framerates.

http://www.techspot.com/article/1171-ddr4-4000-mhz-performance/

http://www.overclock.net/t/1487162/an-independent-study-does-the-speed-of-ram-directly-affect-fps-during-high-cpu-overhead-scenarios

Of course, there's a point where the law of diminishing returns eventually applies. 3000MHz is what I'd consider to be the 'sweetspot'. Spending an extra $10 or so on faster RAM won't make a huge impact on your budget.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

6 minutes ago, Thread212 said:

Based on real world performance and benchmark of course.

even if u are saying its true..its still not worth it because faster ram will cost a lot more and still not worth for the price.

That's where you're wrong...

Prices from PCPartPicker. I've chosen 16GB as the amount of RAM because that's essentially the recommended amount:

Cheapest kit of 16GB of memory - http://pcpartpicker.com/product/89rcCJ/geil-memory-gpr416gb2400c15dc

Cheapest kit of 16GB of 3000MHz memory - http://pcpartpicker.com/product/pH2rxr/geil-memory-gpr416gb3000c15adc

A $2 price difference.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

honestly DDR3 1600 is more than enough for gaming

i know you're using DDR4 but its just an example to show you that you don't really need to stress about ram speeds, just get whatever you can get the cheapest that's name brand

afaik with ddr4 anything above 2400mhz is technically an overclock speed, like my bros 2666 ddr4 memory was its overclocked rating and at default in his asus z170 board it ran at 2400mhz

3 minutes ago, luigi90210 said:

honestly DDR3 1600 is more than enough for gaming

i know you're using DDR4 but its just an example to show you that you don't really need to stress about ram speeds, just get whatever you can get the cheapest that's name brand

afaik with ddr4 anything about 2400mhz is technically an overclock speed, like my bros 2666 ddr4 memory was its overclocked rating and at default in his asus z170 board it ran at 2400mhz

Best price to performance DDR3 comes from 1866Mhz CAS 9 offers the best bang for buck. DDR4 I haven't tested yet.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 

Just now, ARikozuM said:

Best price to performance DDR3 comes from 1866Mhz CAS 9 offers the best bang for buck. DDR4 I haven't tested yet.

this is true but getting DDR3 1600 CAS11 isnt gonna give you any noticeable disadvantages in gaming

Just now, luigi90210 said:

this is true but getting DDR3 1600 CAS11 isnt gonna give you any noticeable disadvantages in gaming

No, but 1866/9 doesn't cost more or less unlike a 2133/10 kit.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

5 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

No, but 1866/9 doesn't cost more or less unlike a 2133/10 kit.

again true depending on the brand, like going to best buy i saw a 16gb kit of PNY 1600 CAS11 sell for $67 and the PNY XLR8(1866 CAS9) selling for $70 and in that case it would be better to buy the 1866 ram just cause its a better value

what im getting at is when you are looking for ram and the store you're buying from doesnt have 1866 in the amount you want(like last night when i was buying ram to finish my build i wanted a 1x8gb stick since i couldnt afford a 2x8gb kit and best buy didnt have a 1x8gb kit running 1866 only 1600) it wont hurt if you get DDR3 1600 CAS11

im not arguing for someone buying slower memory, im just saying if you cant find memory in the higher speeds, its not like its gonna be a huge deal breaker unless you can only find DDR3 1333 or lower, then id shop somewhere else

1 hour ago, HKZeroFive said:

Why are people saying that faster RAM makes no difference at all? Are you guys simply regurgitating Linus' video on it despite it being wrong in so many aspects?

Linus made a video on RAM speed?

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

1 hour ago, Thread212 said:

Based on real world performance and benchmark of course.

even if u are saying its true..its still not worth it because faster ram will cost a lot more and still not worth for the price.

And also most people try to choose the best component for their built to make sure there's no bottleneck in their system.

I can't understand how people on this forum will pay through the nose for watercooling and high end SSDs but won't spend $5-$10 more to get much faster RAM. The cheapest well known brand 2x8GB DDR4 kit on pcpartpicker right now is some Corsair Vengeance DDR4-2133 from newegg for $74. Or for $80 you can get a G.Skill 2x8GB DDR4-3000 kit from them. It costs a whole $6 more to get better minimum framerates in cpu heavy games, or better average framerates when you have the gpu power to target 100+ fps.

Corsair DDR4-2133 kit

http://pcpartpicker.com/product/PL2rxr/corsair-memory-cmk16gx4m2a2133c13

G.Skill DDR4-3000 kit

http://pcpartpicker.com/product/Yb8H99/gskill-memory-f43000c15d16grk

6 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

Linus made a video on RAM speed?

He did. Unfortunately, it's up there with his 'Delidding a i7 6700K' video as some of the worst and misleading content LMG has produced so far.

TL;DR - He says RAM speed doesn't matter but this has been debunked several times by forum members. Also, his testing methodology is flawed... for instance, he doesn't measure the minimum framerate which is arguably the biggest benefit from faster memory.

Spoiler

1 minute ago, HKZeroFive said:

He did. Unfortunately, it's up there with his 'Delidding a i7 6700K' video as some of the worst and misleading content LMG has produced so far.

TL;DR - He says RAM speed doesn't matter but this has been debunked several times by forum members. Also, his testing methodology is flawed... for instance, he doesn't measure the minimum framerate which is arguably the biggest benefit from faster memory.

Just as bad is he runs massively high gpu-bound settings (4xMSAA and 8xMSAA) with a crappy gpu (GTX 660 Ti). Digital Foundry has pretty clearly debunked this piece of pc master race religion that RAM speed doesn't matter.

9 minutes ago, HKZeroFive said:

TL;DR - He says RAM speed doesn't matter but this has been debunked several times by forum members. Also, his testing methodology is flawed... for instance, he doesn't measure the minimum framerate.

as someone who works currently as a desktop support manager and network admin
im gonna have to say that capacity means far more than speed

having 16gb of ddr4 2133 going up against 16gb ddr4 3000 you wont see much of a difference until you are near or at 100% ram usage, working for a corporation means i work with budgets and most of the employees where i work do NOT have enough ram to do their jobs(IE their work requires 6gb of ram and they get 4gb cause thats all the company wants to pay), in that case having faster ram makes a world of difference, heck just upgrading someone's computer from 2gb DDR2 555 to 2gb DDR2 800 made a huge improvement in terms of usability of the computer

now in the scenario you provided, yes the user is being cheap for not buying the DDR4 3000 because the DDR4 3000 while it might not make a noticeable difference in day to day tasks and gaming(to a certain extent yes you get better minimum fps but do you really spend most of your gaming at minimum fps?), the DDR4 3000 is still a better value than the DDR4 2133