Apple unveils the 1-pound iPad Air with a 9.7-inch Retina display: shipping November first for $499

Gunzkewl

Naturally, it's thinner, lighter and more powerful -- hence the new name: the iPad Air. And Cupertino takes that moniker seriously; this slate weighs just one pound (down from the fourth-gen model's 1.4 pounds). It also boasts a 43 percent thinner bezel and a 20-percent thinner profile; it's just 7.5mm thick this time around.

As expected, the new iPad Air sports a 9.7-inch Retina display, and there's an A7 processor under the hood along with an M7 motion chip. The 5-megapixel iSight camera is capable of shooting 1080p video, and the FaceTime camera on the front includes "larger pixels" and a backside-illuminated sensor for better image quality. Finally, the iPad Air sports dual mics. As far as battery life goes, expect about 10 hours.

The Air will ship on November 1st to several countries, including the US, UK, China and Japan. Notably, this is the first time China will get the iPad on launch day. When the tablet is available, you'll have your choice of "silver and white" or "space gray and black" color options.

apple-live-0579wtmk.jpg

dsc08590-1.jpg

dsc08592-1.jpg

dsc08600-1.jpg

Source:

http://www.engadget.com/2013/10/22/apple-unveils-tktk-ipad/

http://www.engadget.com/2013/10/22/ipad-air-hands-on/

Yea the name is pretty terrible.  Personally I dislike large light tablets with small bezelsl; hard to hold.  Isn't the Sony 10" tablet lighter than 1lb?? Also I love how they keep showing "cumulative sales" graphs for everything. Its like they know their fans are idiots.

EDIT: Sony Tablet Z (released months ago) is a 10.1" tablet, weighs only 0.09 lbs more than the ipad Air, but is thinner than by a few tenths of a mm.  It's also waterproof.

| Currently no gaming rig | Dell XPS 13 (9343) |

| Samsung Galaxy Note5 | Gear VR | Nvidia Shield Tab | Xbox One |

I kinda want it.

CPU: i5 4430 PSU: XFX 550w Ram: 8gb Patriot Viper 1600mhz

Motherboard: MSI H87M-G43 Case: Fractal Design Define R4

SSD: 840 Evo 250gb, 512gb MX100 GPU: MSI GTX 980TI Gaming Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo

Nice copy-paste :P

Pretty much as expected, except for that name, which is so stupid that I can't bring myself to grasp it

Yeah sorry,

The iPad Mini has a retina display now... Personally i dont see a reason to go with the iPad Air. The only thing i can think of is maybe the RAM.

i7-2600K | ASRock Z77 Pro4 | ASUS 980 Ti Hybrid | Kingston 4x 4GB | EVGA Supernova 750 G2 Phantek Enthoo Luxe

Creative X7 Limited | 1TB WD Blue | 2TB WD Green | 256GB Liteon SSD | 240GB Kingston SSD | Corsair H100i

Logitech G502 Proteus Core | Logitech G710+ | LG 34UM65 | LG 27EA31V - B | AKG K7XX Massdrop | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

Haha that's what I was saying! And that product was released in February, is waterproof AND bigger screen. Apple innovation my ass

| Currently no gaming rig | Dell XPS 13 (9343) |

| Samsung Galaxy Note5 | Gear VR | Nvidia Shield Tab | Xbox One |

I have an iPad. I use it on the couch and in the kitchen to browse FB, read LTT, and watch YouTube.  I don't really feel like it is all that heavy or thick.  I don't understand why the focus seems to be on lighter and thinner.  I want more performance, better battery, and more features.  Maybe add a USB like the Surface tablets, or an SD slot, or even the survavablity of the S4 Active.

It doesn't have the A7X chip in it, A7 only.

Not worth it imo. iPad is generally speaking, always more powerful than the iPhone itself.

The fact that the iPad Air and iPad Mini are the same specs it's just ugh.

Desktop: Intel i5-3570K (stock) | Asus Sabertooth Z77 | G.Skill RipJaw 16GB 1600MHz | Samsung 840 120GB | EVGA GTX 680 SC+ 2GB | Fractal Design R4 | Windows 8 Pro (soon to have dual boot Mac OS X)

Retina Macbook Pro : Intel i7-3840QM | 16GB 1600 MHz | 256GB SSD | Nvidia GT 650M 1GB | Mac OS X 10.8.5

Apple, why have you not realized how overpriced you are ????

Nexus FTW !!!!

CPUIntel 4670k  Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z87X-D3H  RAMKingston HyperX 8GB  GPU - EVGA 780  Case - Fractal Design Define R4    Storage - 2TB WD Black, Samsung 840 Evo 128GB     PSU - Corsair RM650  Display -  Benq XL2430T and Acer S235HL  Cooling - CM Hyper 212 Evo  Keyboard - Corsair K95  Mouse - Razer Deathadder  Sound - Sennheiser HD 558                                 Mic - Blue Snowball  Phone- OnePlus One  Tablet - Nvidia Shield

No touch ID?

My best guess as to why this is is due to iPhone 5S shortages.

Desktop: Intel i5-3570K (stock) | Asus Sabertooth Z77 | G.Skill RipJaw 16GB 1600MHz | Samsung 840 120GB | EVGA GTX 680 SC+ 2GB | Fractal Design R4 | Windows 8 Pro (soon to have dual boot Mac OS X)

Retina Macbook Pro : Intel i7-3840QM | 16GB 1600 MHz | 256GB SSD | Nvidia GT 650M 1GB | Mac OS X 10.8.5

I would really like touch ID on the new iPad.

I'm going to hold out for an iPad Air S with an X processor.

I doubt I'll see any great improvement going from an iPad 4 to an iPad Air.

WHEN WILL THEY THINK 'BOUT THE DAMN SPEAKERS...seriously a 10 yo would design better TOWORDS the direction of your ears and one left one right i dont see why they dont get it..

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day . Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.”

WHEN WILL THEY THINK 'BOUT THE DAMN SPEAKERS...seriously a 10 yo would design better TOWORDS the direction of your ears and one left one right i dont see why they dont get it..

Most people use iPads in public places.

Fuck using speakers in public places.

Most people use iPads in public places.

Fuck using speakers in public places.

even those who use it on public places they use it most alone

i use mine only on my home..

i want speakers

but apple is gone for me anyway..

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day . Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.”

Apple, why have you not realized how overpriced you are ????

Nexus FTW !!!!

And people still buy from them no matter what the price is, they have no need to reduce it.

And people still buy from them no matter what the price is, they have no need to reduce it.

They would sell so many more 

CPUIntel 4670k  Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z87X-D3H  RAMKingston HyperX 8GB  GPU - EVGA 780  Case - Fractal Design Define R4    Storage - 2TB WD Black, Samsung 840 Evo 128GB     PSU - Corsair RM650  Display -  Benq XL2430T and Acer S235HL  Cooling - CM Hyper 212 Evo  Keyboard - Corsair K95  Mouse - Razer Deathadder  Sound - Sennheiser HD 558                                 Mic - Blue Snowball  Phone- OnePlus One  Tablet - Nvidia Shield

They would sell so many more 

But reducing the price lowers the profit they make, so they would need to sell a lot more to get the same profit as now. 

But reducing the price lowers the profit they make, so they would need to sell a lot more to get the same profit as now. 

They would still make more money. Apple has no morals anyway. Mr Mac.