Apple unveils the 1-pound iPad Air with a 9.7-inch Retina display: shipping November first for $499

Gunzkewl

Apple is really in a tough spot on pricing when you compare to the Nexus 7 and it's because google sells it very close to or at cost and Apple can't do that. It really shows the difference in their strategies. Apple makes money on hardware so they have to have a profit margin. Google makes money on hooking you into using their services and showing you targeted ads so they practically give away hardware that pretty much requires you have a google account. Both strategies have been very successful for each company.

You are most definitely right, but as a consumer the N7 is still a much better deal.

Apple is really in a tough spot on pricing when you compare to the Nexus 7 and it's because google sells it very close to or at cost and Apple can't do that. It really shows the difference in their strategies. Apple makes money on hardware so they have to have a profit margin. Google makes money on hooking you into using their services and showing you targeted ads so they practically give away hardware that pretty much requires you have a google account. Both strategies have been very successful for each company.

Apple also makes money on Apps. Apps that are sold give like 30% to Apple iirc? Same with music.

iPad Mini competes with the Nexus 7 and the iPad competes with the Nexus 10.

Comparing a full iPad to a Nexus 7 isn't really that great of a comparison.

Desktop: Intel i5-3570K (stock) | Asus Sabertooth Z77 | G.Skill RipJaw 16GB 1600MHz | Samsung 840 120GB | EVGA GTX 680 SC+ 2GB | Fractal Design R4 | Windows 8 Pro (soon to have dual boot Mac OS X)

Retina Macbook Pro : Intel i7-3840QM | 16GB 1600 MHz | 256GB SSD | Nvidia GT 650M 1GB | Mac OS X 10.8.5

Apple also makes money on Apps. Apps that are sold give like 30% to Apple iirc? Same with music.

iPad Mini competes with the Nexus 7 and the iPad competes with the Nexus 10.

Comparing a full iPad to a Nexus 7 isn't really that great of a comparison.

They do make money on those things but it's not their bread and butter.

I was comparing the mini to the n7.

You are most definitely right, but as a consumer the N7 is still a much better deal.

Yes its a better deal on paper and I wouldn't blame anyone for going with it as I have as well. However, after my experience with the original n7 and this years n7, I will not buy another tablet made by Asus ever again. It took 3 units b4 I had an ok n7 last year and yet still a couple months later my screen cracked just from picking it up. This year it also took a couple returns before I had an n7 that didn't have a bunch of issues. This is just my experience though so I understand it may have just been bad luck on my part, but it has still left a bad taste in my mouth.

Yes its a better deal on paper and I wouldn't blame anyone for going with it as I have as well. However, after my experience with the original n7 and this years n7, I will not buy another tablet made by Asus ever again. It took 3 units b4 I had an ok n7 last year and yet still a couple months later my screen cracked just from picking it up. This year it also took a couple returns before I had an n7 that didn't have a bunch of issues. This is just my experience though so I understand it may have just been bad luck on my part, but it has still left a bad taste in my mouth.

Wow, that was some terrible luck but I have heard about people having issues with the old n7. In my case I have never had any issues other than lag which seems to happen for everyone who uses the tablet for a few months. 4.3 seems to have solved that though.

Wow, that was some terrible luck but I have heard about people having issues with the old n7. In my case I have never had any issues other than lag which seems to happen for everyone who uses the tablet for a few months. 4.3 seems to have solved that though.

Yea, my understanding is that there was a very small glass lift issue on one side in many units and thats likely what caused my spontaneous screen crack.

Lag should be remedied now with 4.3 as it added TRIM support, on my Nexus 4 I saw a big improvement in terms of lag with 4.3 anyway.

Who needs such a thin tablet? I would rather they kept the thickness and added a bigger battery