Please Help me....for the love of god....help

Ok so i have no idea if anyone will know what issue i am having because it is just insane. It started out simple the sli bridge was no longer detected between my 2 new 970 cards, then it moved to not detecting the second 970 at all nomatter what i did. Moved on and ended up sending it in for RMA and got a new board. Same issue except when put as the only source and forced to be used, the other card kicks in and gives me a linley screen or it will work fine somtimes. Seems like a bad card right? well here is another wrench in the system whare both gtx 970s will work fine for hours and hours perfectly when on a different board, i have no board to test them in sli on a different type but both cards work on there own and as far as the lines go one card will do lines when trying it on my current board and the other just will not work. Every time i boot up i get a different set of cards that will work ranging from all to 1 to somtimes none but it's not the board, it's not the card and it's not the sli bridge as i have tried 3 different ones. At the moment all card are on even the little physx card in the slot that runs on the chipset, sli bridge is lit up and all screens work fine no problem. SLI not detected. 

I think i know the issue but it is so far out and odd of a reaction that i can't imagine it being this. I think it's the PSU because 2 new added symptoms are the pc will shut down and will not restart until i reseat the cpu power connector, happens 90% of the time and my keyboard has started randomly getting dimmer.... can't go 100% on that because it can be dimmed in settings but it has never done it on it's own before. I am so at a loss of whats going on, if i get another psu and it still happens, i can't rma the cards because on there own they both work fine no problems, board was already RMAed....... Losing my mind

System has a ROG maximus VIII extreme board, 6700k CPU, 2 970's in sli and a 660 in the 4th slot as a physx card. 850W thermaltake psu... should be all you need. 

So...anyone have any ideas to help me?

Any overclocks?

Current LTT F@H Rank: 90    Score: 2,503,680,659    Stats

Yes, I have 9 monitors.

My main PC (Hybrid Windows 10/Arch Linux):

OS: Arch Linux w/ XFCE DE (VFIO-Patched Kernel) as host OS, windows 10 as guest

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X w/PBO on (6c 12t for host, 6c 12t for guest)

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15

Mobo: Asus X470-F Gaming

RAM: 32GB G-Skill Ripjaws V @ 3200MHz (12GB for host, 20GB for guest)

GPU: Guest: EVGA RTX 3070 FTW3 ULTRA Host: 2x Radeon HD 8470

PSU: EVGA G2 650W

SSDs: Guest: Samsung 850 evo 120 GB, Samsung 860 evo 1TB Host: Samsung 970 evo 500GB NVME

HDD: Guest: WD Caviar Blue 1 TB

Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Black w/ Tempered Glass Side Panel Upgrade

Other: White LED strip to illuminate the interior. Extra fractal intake fan for positive pressure.

unRAID server (Plex, Windows 10 VM, NAS, Duplicati, game servers):

CPU: Ryzen R7 2700x @ Stock

Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S

Mobo: Asus Prime X470-Pro

RAM: 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V + 16GB Hyperx Fury Black @ stock

GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2

PSU: EVGA G3 850W

SSD: Samsung 970 evo NVME 250GB, Samsung 860 evo SATA 1TB 

HDDs: 4x HGST Dekstar NAS 4TB @ 7200RPM (3 data, 1 parity)

Case: Sillverstone GD08B

Other: Added 3x Noctua NF-F12 intake, 2x Noctua NF-A8 exhaust, Inatek 5 port USB 3.0 expansion card with usb 3.0 front panel header

Details: 12GB ram, GTX 1080, USB card passed through to windows 10 VM. VM's OS drive is the SATA SSD. Rest of resources are for Plex, Duplicati, Spaghettidetective, Nextcloud, and game servers.

i mean i do overclock them somtimes but overclocked or all set to stock the issue is the same. right now i'm running a gpu program with boinc which runs research data... one of thoes collabrative computing things and all 3 gpus are running fine, but sli not detected and the other gliches still exsist. Boinc programs are very sensative so if one of the cards had even a slight issue it would keep saying computation error 

From what I understand it definitely could be a faulty PSU. Best would be to swap that out if you can to test.

Sounds like you went through with a lot of the troubleshooting already.

25 minutes ago, Shadow_Storm56 said:

Ok so i have no idea if anyone will know what issue i am having because it is just insane. It started out simple the sli bridge was no longer detected between my 2 new 970 cards, then it moved to not detecting the second 970 at all nomatter what i did. Moved on and ended up sending it in for RMA and got a new board. Same issue except when put as the only source and forced to be used, the other card kicks in and gives me a linley screen or it will work fine somtimes. Seems like a bad card right? well here is another wrench in the system whare both gtx 970s will work fine for hours and hours perfectly when on a different board, i have no board to test them in sli on a different type but both cards work on there own and as far as the lines go one card will do lines when trying it on my current board and the other just will not work. Every time i boot up i get a different set of cards that will work ranging from all to 1 to somtimes none but it's not the board, it's not the card and it's not the sli bridge as i have tried 3 different ones. At the moment all card are on even the little physx card in the slot that runs on the chipset, sli bridge is lit up and all screens work fine no problem. SLI not detected. 

I think i know the issue but it is so far out and odd of a reaction that i can't imagine it being this. I think it's the PSU because 2 new added symptoms are the pc will shut down and will not restart until i reseat the cpu power connector, happens 90% of the time and my keyboard has started randomly getting dimmer.... can't go 100% on that because it can be dimmed in settings but it has never done it on it's own before. I am so at a loss of whats going on, if i get another psu and it still happens, i can't rma the cards because on there own they both work fine no problems, board was already RMAed....... Losing my mind

System has a ROG maximus VIII extreme board, 6700k CPU, 2 970's in sli and a 660 in the 4th slot as a physx card. 850W thermaltake psu... should be all you need. 

So...anyone have any ideas to help me?

I think your right with the psu theory. good luck. xD

I mean in theory if power is not being correctly sent to the cpu or parts of the board..... it could cause these issues. i sure hope this is the problem.... 

If it does end up being the PSU i will make sure to post here.... because tbh this is kinda crazy. could be that literally a part of the board or processor is not getting power and it just isent enough of a thing to cause other major faults. It would make sense that if the psu was not shutting down properly and still sending a sort of ghost current or an interference that this would be why the board would not turn on and removing the connector breaks this circuit causing the current to disipate. I still am looking for other ideas just in case someone has another idea what it could be. Literally it started by a pc restart and one of the cards not being detected nomatter what it just happen with no warning or other signs and then the issues just kept pileing up. Now when i had the motherboard sent for RMA i used a spare board that was much smaller and did not even support sli and in this case both cards worked fine but again no sli, but again the board was much smaller and may have not had the same power requirements...... this is all really a long shot so if anyone thinks of anything else then please post. 

please. just take the PhysX card out. I gaurantee it'll solve your problem with a fresh driver install after

My Build, v2.1 --- CPU: i7-8700K @ 5.2GHz/1.288v || MoBo: Asus ROG STRIX Z390-E Gaming || RAM: 4x4GB G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 2666 14-14-14-33 || Cooler: Custom Loop || GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black, on water || PSU: EVGA G2 850W || Case: Corsair 450D || SSD: 850 Evo 250GB, Intel 660p 2TB || Storage: WD Blue 2TB || G502 & Glorious PCGR Fully Custom 80% Keyboard || MX34VQ, PG278Q, PB278Q

Audio --- Headphones: Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 6XX || Amp: Schiit Audio Magni 3 || DAC: Schiit Audio Modi 3 || Mic: Blue Yeti

[Under Construction]

My Truck --- 2002 F-350 7.3 Powerstroke || 6-speed

My Car --- 2006 Mustang GT || 5-speed || BBK LTs, O/R X, MBRP Cat-back || BBK Lowering Springs, LCAs || 2007 GT500 wheels w/ 245s/285s

The Experiment --- CPU: i5-3570K @ 4.0 GHz || MoBo: Asus P8Z77-V LK || RAM: 16GB Corsair 1600 4x4 || Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo || GPUs: Asus GTX 750 Ti, || PSU: Corsair TX750M Gold || Case: Thermaltake Core G21 TG || SSD: 840 Pro 128GB || HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB

R.I.P. Asus X99-A motherboard, April 2016 - October 2018, may you rest in peace. 5820K, if I ever buy you a new board, it'll be a good one.

Nope..... I have done this and it has made 0 difference... I have tried basically every thing I could think of. Also Highly doubt it would solve the power connector thing either way. 

1 minute ago, Shadow_Storm56 said:

Wish It was that simple.....

rip, soz fam

PSU or motherboard, if the PSU has gone bad it probably took the motherboard with it to some extent, try swapping PSU first and then get a new motherboard if its not fixed

also try all 3 cards separetly, could be the 660 or either one of the 970s

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

All cards have been tested separate in a different system and work fine.... yay a new 700 dollar motherboard...unless I RMA it again...