How fast should your ram be?

Hey guys, I was looking on a website for computer parts and stumbled upon 8gb of team Vulcan memory with a speed of 2800Mhz which is a lot faster than normal ddr4 ram. Here's a link to it so you guys can see the specs

https://www.mwave.com.au/product/team-vulcan-8gb-2x-4gb-ddr4-2800mhz-memory-ab79481

and would this be good for gaming, because when I looked at it I thought it was for workstations or servers.

3 minutes ago, kayotics said:

Hey guys, I was looking on a website for computer parts and stumbled upon 8gb of team Vulcan memory with a speed of 2800Mhz which is a lot faster than normal ddr4 ram. Here's a link to it so you guys can see the specs

https://www.mwave.com.au/product/team-vulcan-8gb-2x-4gb-ddr4-2800mhz-memory-ab79481

and would this be good for gaming, because when I looked at it I thought it was for workstations or servers.

Just now, frozeNNN said:

It doesn't matter

Well, TECHNICALLY slow RAM can limit your CPU in games, but 2800 MHZ is barely more expensive than 2400, so I say go for it. 

Different PCPartPickers for different countries:

UK-----Italy----Canada-----Spain-----Germany-----Austrailia-----New Zealand-----'Murica-----France-----India

10 minutes ago, Stardar1 said:

Well, with an i7, GTX 1080, Full tower and flashy lights, it can obviously only be for one thing:

Solitaire. 

Just now, Stardar1 said:

Well, TECHNICALLY slow RAM can limit your CPU in games, but 2800 MHZ is barely more expensive than 2400, so I say go for it. 

Ok cool sorry if that was a stupid question I new to building computers

Just now, kayotics said:

Ok cool sorry if that was a stupid question I new to building computers

not a stupid question at all, most people here think that RAM speed does not matter, and they are mostly correct, but if you are playing an intensive game and are limited by CPU (assuming your actual CPU is decent) faster RAM can actually improve performance. 

Different PCPartPickers for different countries:

UK-----Italy----Canada-----Spain-----Germany-----Austrailia-----New Zealand-----'Murica-----France-----India

10 minutes ago, Stardar1 said:

Well, with an i7, GTX 1080, Full tower and flashy lights, it can obviously only be for one thing:

Solitaire. 

17 minutes ago, Stardar1 said:

not a stupid question at all, most people here think that RAM speed does not matter, and they are mostly correct, but if you are playing an intensive game and are limited by CPU (assuming your actual CPU is decent) faster RAM can actually improve performance. 

Ok cuz I am building it with an i3 6100

25 minutes ago, theninja35 said:

My dad's RAM goes 0-60 in like 6 seconds, so, that's pretty fast.

This made me laugh.

i7 4790k | GTX 970 | 16GB

That's all you need to know. It's a beast.

27 minutes ago, kayotics said:

Ok cuz I am building it with an i3 6100

If you don't go with Z170 motherboard it's useless to buy RAM faster than 2133 MHz

1 hour ago, frozeNNN said:

That mobo supports 2133MHz RAM so any higher clocked RAM will work only on that frequency (no point of getting higher clocked RAM)

Ok cool but what is the normal ddr4 speed?

11 hours ago, kayotics said:

Ok cool but what is the normal ddr4 speed?

2133 is the normal

14 hours ago, frozeNNN said:

It doesn't matter

That's very dependent on what you're doing, we've all seen the proof that faster RAM does help in CPU intensive games and with CPU intensive tasks. There's threads and reviews all over the place.  Is it a huge difference? No, but what does a few extra bucks hurt?

Considering high speed RAM isn't usually that much more than the slow stuff, it's not like you shouldn't spend the extra $10.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

3 minutes ago, Lays said:

That's very dependent on what you're doing, we've all seen the proof that faster RAM does help in CPU intensive games and with CPU intensive tasks. There's threads and reviews all over the place.  Is it a huge difference? No, but what does a few extra bucks hurt?

Considering high speed RAM isn't usually that much more than the slow stuff, it's not like you shouldn't spend the extra $10.

Extra 10 and extra how much for Z170 motherboard?

23 hours ago, Lays said:

Tricky part can be deciding between lower latency (the stuff from 1/ramspeed*cas more or less) or higher frequency. Maybe it's time to go run some benchmarks. It's hard to compare the top end sticks though, like 3600 C15 vs 4133 C19 (no 4133+ 16gb kits for mainstream platform right now). Might have to buy both kits and test...

In Placebo We Trust - Resident Obnoxious Objective Fangirl (R.O.O.F) - Your Eyes Cannot Hear
Haswell Overclocking Guide | Skylake Overclocking GuideCan my amp power my headphones?

4 minutes ago, Dark_wizzie said:

Tricky part can be deciding between lower latency (the stuff from 1/ramspeed*cas more or less) or higher frequency. Maybe it's time to go run some benchmarks. It's hard to compare the top end sticks though, like 3600 C15 vs 4133 C19 (no 4133+ 16gb kits for mainstream platform right now). Might have to buy both kits and test...

I can test 4266 i think not xmp tho

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

5 minutes ago, Lays said:

I can test 4266 i think not xmp tho

Hmm, question is test what though. I know Starcraft 2 is a good contender but I don't play that game and have no idea how to test it. For Skyrim and Oblivion it would probably have to be a modded game. I have a save file in Skyrim with effects around me that taxes my CPU which is nice and stable for testing and for Oblivion I just loaded a save file with frame cap off. But for Oblivion for sure, the main FPS drop is when the game has to quickly load the next area (this is Oblivion we are talking about, IO bottleneck is minimal) when I'm running around outside and if I'm going to test it that way things can get real time consuming real fast.

Well, I have free time on Monday to test it. I've been just sitting around waiting for Skyrim Special Edition to come out.

Oh yea. Fallout 4 seems like a very good contender and I know the game pretty well. Is frequency more important or is latency more important, and does it vary from game to game? Hmm.

In Placebo We Trust - Resident Obnoxious Objective Fangirl (R.O.O.F) - Your Eyes Cannot Hear
Haswell Overclocking Guide | Skylake Overclocking GuideCan my amp power my headphones?

On 22/10/2016 at 8:48 PM, frozeNNN said:

Extra 10 and extra how much for Z170 motherboard?

It is about 200+ Aussie dollars and I am building a budget pc

On 23/10/2016 at 8:37 PM, Dark_wizzie said:

Hmm, question is test what though. I know Starcraft 2 is a good contender but I don't play that game and have no idea how to test it. For Skyrim and Oblivion it would probably have to be a modded game. I have a save file in Skyrim with effects around me that taxes my CPU which is nice and stable for testing and for Oblivion I just loaded a save file with frame cap off. But for Oblivion for sure, the main FPS drop is when the game has to quickly load the next area (this is Oblivion we are talking about, IO bottleneck is minimal) when I'm running around outside and if I'm going to test it that way things can get real time consuming real fast.

Well, I have free time on Monday to test it. I've been just sitting around waiting for Skyrim Special Edition to come out.

Oh yea. Fallout 4 seems like a very good contender and I know the game pretty well. Is frequency more important or is latency more important, and does it vary from game to game? Hmm.

Yeah I am building this to play csgo, fallout 4 and all the bioshocks

On 10/21/2016 at 3:15 PM, theninja35 said:

My dad's RAM goes 0-60 in like 6 seconds, so, that's pretty fast.

Can it out run a t-rex? :P

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

I always thought RAM speed doesnt realy matter for Game Performance. But in case of DDR4 i was wrong. I saw Benchs where fps going up by 7%-10% through higher clocked RAM alone. Depends on the CPU tho. I run my @ 3000mhz

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

It is called T-Rex not TRX, and that pic is not the right one.

Here is the correct one

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

8 hours ago, NumLock21 said:

It is called T-Rex not TRX, and that pic is not the right one.

Here is the correct one

Yeah, I know there was that one, too, but the one I posted is a new concept designed to compete with the Raptor. It has a detuned Hellcat in it IIRC, so I just thought it would be a lot cooler to post.

When I said it was TRX I was referring to the one I posted, I wasn't trying to correct you, but I can see why you would think that.