Besides eBay, what sites do you recommend for new or used servers/parts?

TheSaint

I'm looking to buy a used server, versus making one on my own for FreeNAS or some playing around with VM's. Besides eBay, are there any retailers that offer server grade hardware that sell to the public in the United States, and either are comparable to ebay in price or even better? I've checked my local craigslist, but there's nothing on it as I live in the boonies. Beyond used, is there a good server parts vendor out there price wise should I decide to build my own? Thoughts?

there are actions of company's that went under, often you can get cheap server stuff there. i sometimes find dual intel cpu quadcore 2.5ghz servers for a 150 bucks.

Actions? Did you mean auctions? What auction services do you use to find the deals? Thanks for the pointers. :)

Where do you live? 

In Belgium there's a website called "2ememain.be" which means "usedparts.be"
It also works in France and in the Netherlands 

4 minutes ago, TheSaint said:

Actions? Did you mean auctions? What auction services do you use to find the deals? Thanks for the pointers. :)

yes sorry auctions :P and depends on where you live. you should just google it and then your area. be carefull of the fineprint though, often there is a extra cost for using the service but only if you buy something, and tax that isnt included in the auction itself.

8 minutes ago, The Belgian Waffle said:

Where do you live? 

In Belgium there's a website called "2ememain.be" which means "usedparts.be"
It also works in France and in the Netherlands 

I live in California, in the United States. Hopefully that site will be helpful for Stella Artois drinkers out there. :D

3 minutes ago, tlink said:

yes sorry auctions :P and depends on where you live. you should just google it and then your area. be carefull of the fineprint though, often there is a extra cost for using the service but only if you buy something, and tax that isnt included in the auction itself.

Searching around for something local, as many auctions I've seen online have local pick-up only and they don't want the hassle of shipping stuff. :)

I used to use a site called savemyserver.com but then I found out they were selling the exact same parts on ebay for 5 to 10 percent less, so I just buy from them on ebay instead of directly.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

eBay is a good place for used servers, note that rack servers can be extremely noisy (easily 10,000rpm for some 2U servers). Also older servers (which is what you will mostly find on eBay) are generally less efficent then modern systems and consume alot more power.

Desktop: i7-6700K / Asus Z170 S / H100i V2 / LPX 2400Mhz 16GB / 960 EVO 250GB / 2x 860 EVO 500GB / RM750i  / NZXT H440 XB271H + Z22n Monitors

Laptop: Thinkpad T450s / i7-5600U / 12GB / 860 EVO 500GB

Rasmus auctions off crap from offices and what not. I'm not sure they cover the west coast or not, but can't hurt to take a look. Buddy got some super nice desks for $1 from them. Solid mahogany executive desk.

6 hours ago, Lurick said:

I used to use a site called savemyserver.com but then I found out they were selling the exact same parts on ebay for 5 to 10 percent less, so I just buy from them on ebay instead of directly.

Yup, noticed the same thing about them! Their ebay listings are more competitive than their actual site. 

6 hours ago, Ernest_L said:

eBay is a good place for used servers, note that rack servers can be extremely noisy (easily 10,000rpm for some 2U servers). Also older servers (which is what you will mostly find on eBay) are generally less efficent then modern systems and consume alot more power.

Yes, I realize that I'm not going to find the most power efficient servers on ebay. Still, I'm taking my time and reading TPW ratings and reviews from all the CPU's on the prospective servers I'm lining up. Even in older hardware, there's quite a bit of difference in efficiency rankings. I'm also planning on installing a solar panel array to offset any increased energy consumption. 

6 hours ago, WigglesTheHoly said:

Servermonkey.com and ebay so far. 

Thanks for the link.

2 hours ago, Zygizz said:

You could try bargain hardware site it sometimes having great deal and it cover internatiol shipping

Will have a look at them too!