Getting Permissions to Stream Copyrighted Works

Hello!

I run a business where I record student classical music recitals at my college.

These days, many people want to share their performances via a live stream.

Who should I contact in order to get permissions to stream a copyrighted work?
What licences do I need?
Who do I contact to show I have obtained proper licencing to keep my stream from being pulled down?

Additionally, what platform/streaming software might you guys recommend for this?

Thanks!
-Matt

You should contact whoever owns the right to that particular piece.

Be ready to have to shell out of TON of money.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

6 minutes ago, Captain Matt said:

Hello!

What licences do I need?
Who do I contact to show I have obtained proper licencing to keep my stream from being pulled down?

Additionally, what platform/streaming software might you guys recommend for this?

Thanks!
-Matt

What are the pieces that you want to stream? If theyre older pieces, see if its part of a public domain, or creative commons.

Windows 10 Edu | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | Ryzen 9 3950x | 4x 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB| ROG Strix GeForce® RTX 2080 SUPER™ Advanced edition | Samsung 980 PRO 500GB + Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB + 8TB Seagate Barracuda | EVGA Supernova 650 G2 | Alienware AW3418DW + LG 34uc87c + Dell u3419w | Asus Zephyrus G14

2 hours ago, Scruffy90 said:

What are the pieces that you want to stream? If theyre older pieces, see if its part of a public domain, or creative commons.

I am aware of the laws regarding pieces in the public domain. 

I want to provide a service where people pay me to secure the rights for the performance of a work as well as run the stream for it.

But my dark mode.......You ruined it ???? 

2 hours ago, Captain Matt said:

I want to provide a service where people pay me to secure the rights for the performance of a work as well as run the stream for it.

I dont understand. Are the students playing copyrighted music or are you trying to help them copyright their own music?

EDIT for platform I'd start with youtube since it has a much wider audience and everyone knows what it is.

If I understand your meaning correctly. Streaming or uploading covers is fine (imo). They are mostly, as live acts, seen as different version than what sniffers are looking for. And if you aren't monetizing streams, it matters even less.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

8 hours ago, Captain Matt said:

Ahh that makes more sense. Id say the bulk of the work would be centered around copyright law agreements. It can get very expensive and time consuming trying to secure a lot of these licensing agreements, a lot of it could be due to a particular piece of music having multiple owners or a change of ownership overtime (a lot of the time they may be unnecessary. This would be dependant on the music used at the performance). Just be warned its a rabbithole. As @LoGiCalDrm mentioned, if youre streaming (not monitizing) or doing covers, you should be ok in theory. If monitizing, thats a whole different ballgame. Part of the issue is going to be the automated takedown systems (content ID) on say YouTube ( other platforms have similar, but less strict systems).  Dealing with those are a pita to be honest since takedowns may happen despite having written consent from the owner and there's no one to speak to directly at many of these streaming sites to resolve the matter. 

Windows 10 Edu | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | Ryzen 9 3950x | 4x 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB| ROG Strix GeForce® RTX 2080 SUPER™ Advanced edition | Samsung 980 PRO 500GB + Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB + 8TB Seagate Barracuda | EVGA Supernova 650 G2 | Alienware AW3418DW + LG 34uc87c + Dell u3419w | Asus Zephyrus G14

15 hours ago, Captain Matt said:

Hello!

What licences do I need?

Thanks!
-Matt

I would say have the students record it, and then send you the file. (Kinda puts you out of buisness then if that is the only function of your buisness.)

But with any recording/streaming you will have lots of compression so it may sound worse then what was actually played. To get the best possible recording live would be the best, especially if you have high end recording equipment.

•E5-2670 @2.7GHz • Intel DX79SI • EVGA 970 SSC• GSkill Sniper 8Gb ddr3 • Corsair Spec 02 • Corsair RM750 • HyperX 120Gb SSD • Hitachi 2Tb HDD •

23 hours ago, SLAYR said:

I would say have the students record it, and then send you the file. (Kinda puts you out of buisness then if that is the only function of your buisness.)

But with any recording/streaming you will have lots of compression so it may sound worse then what was actually played. To get the best possible recording live would be the best, especially if you have high end recording equipment.

I do recordings in addition to live streaming. :)
Just set the high end mics as the only mic input and tell the live streaming software to use that as the mic. the sound did indeed have a lower bit rate, but it was not BAD at all as far as streaming goes.

Scruffy and LoGiCalDrm had great input... you're probably right. It's probably just not even worth it to try since it could just get taken down by automated systems despite having permissions. It really sucks that none of the permissions systems are at all obvious about how you CAN obtain and submit proper copyright info on stuff...

Alright. Thanks for all your guys input!