MSI Z170 Gaming Pro Carbon vs ASUS Z170 Pro Gaming

Hi! So I'm buying a new PC and I have all the components planned at this point, but motherboards is something I still can't understand quite well. At first I chose MSI Z170 Gaming Pro Carbon for it's looks, funcionality and good price. After reading up on it, I've been able to note 2 things that I'm concerned of. First problem is the somewhat modified layout. I mean, modified is too big of a word to describe this, bur because of the RGB stripe on the right side, the RAM slots are a little closer to the socket than usually. I'm afraid that it might result in me not being able to put a cooler in there without problems with RAM slots. Second thing it that even though it got pretty good reviews from various review websites, people seem to think the other way. They say that the board isn't that great and that people should choose Asus Z170 Pro Gaming in it's place. And here's another problem. After checking this Asus board it looks pretty great, but there seems to be some mixed opinions as well. Some people say that it's a crappy board that will break fast and that there are some problems with XMP profiles for RAM. I'm just checking different mobos since yesterday and I feel like I have a headache. Should I go for any of the mentioned? Or maybe you could recommend me any other board in around the price point an functionality of these two? I don't need any RGB like in MSI Gaming Pro Carbon. Thank you in advance! 

7 minutes ago, Cavi said:

Hi! So I'm buying a new PC and I have all the components planned at this point, but motherboards is something I still can't understand quite well. At first I chose MSI Z170 Gaming Pro Carbon for it's looks, funcionality and good price. After reading up on it, I've been able to note 2 things that I'm concerned of. First problem is the somewhat modified layout. I mean, modified is too big of a word to describe this, bur because of the RGB stripe on the right side, the RAM slots are a little closer to the socket than usually. I'm afraid that it might result in me not being able to put a cooler in there without problems with RAM slots. Second thing it that even though it got pretty good reviews from various review websites, people seem to think the other way. They say that the board isn't that great and that people should choose Asus Z170 Pro Gaming in it's place. And here's another problem. After checking this Asus board it looks pretty great, but there seems to be some mixed opinions as well. Some people say that it's a crappy board that will break fast and that there are some problems with XMP profiles for RAM. I'm just checking different mobos since yesterday and I feel like I have a headache. Should I go for any of the mentioned? Or maybe you could recommend me any other board in around the price point an functionality of these two? I don't need any RGB like in MSI Gaming Pro Carbon. Thank you in advance! 

Pick whatever you like better both are good boards.

Thank you kind sir. I'm gonna go with the MSI then, it will fit my MSI 1070 I guess. 

I'll wait for some more answers tho. No offence of course, just want a confirmation from more than one person :)

The MSI board does support un-buffered ECC memory if you want it, while the ASUS board has two more USB 3.0 ports on the back and has DisplayPort for integrated graphics (which you're not using, so it doesn't matter). I also think the MSI board's RGB lighting looks a little tacky, but that's personal taste.

Just now, Kavawuvi said:

The MSI board does support un-buffered ECC memory, while the ASUS board has two more USB 3.0 ports on the back and has DisplayPort for integrated graphics (which you're not using, so it doesn't matter). I also think the MSI board's RGB lighting looks a little tacky, but that's personal taste.

Yes, I'm aware of the fact that RGB looks kind of tacky, like you described it, but to be honest that wasn't THE feature that got me to consider this board. Mostly it's the competitive price, features I desire and good looks overall (Love that carbon!) RGB is just a fun addition :) Thanks for the answer though. 

If you want a no frill but does all job board, look for the MSI Z170 SLI PLUS. It got everything you need.

11 minutes ago, YongKang said:

If you want a no frill but does all job board, look for the MSI Z170 SLI PLUS. It got everything you need.

From what I can tell Gaming Pro Carbon is basically a SLI PLUS with some RGB and carbon on top of it :D Thanks for the recommendation, the board looks very nice, it's like the carbon one but with everything I don't necesarilly need removed with all the functionality still there. If the price difference is significant enough in my shop of choice then I might go for it.