Raspberry PI - help me to get started

GrayTech

Hey guys!

I heared many cool things about the Raspberry PI and recently I thougt that it would be nice to do someting with one. But to be honest, I know nothing about it xD. What do I need to purchase besides the Raspberry PI and what is the difference between thie different models? Do I have to know/learn a programming language? Are there other things should to know? And what are some cool projects for a beginner? It would be nice if you can help me to get started!

-+-+- This is a reminder to clean the dust filters of your PC! -+-+-

Main PC:

Ryzen 5 1600 3.8GHz - RX 570 4GB - 2x8GB DDR4 - ASUS Prime X370-Pro - Shadow Rock 2 - Define S - Seasonic Prime Gold 650W

500GB NVME SSD - 1TB SATA SSD - 1TB HDD - Windows 10 Pro

Dorm PC:

i5 4590 - GTX 960 4GB - 2x4GB DDR3 - ASUS H81M2 - Dark Rock 3 - Define R3 - 250GB SATA SSD - Seasonic S12 430W - Windows 10 Pro - Linux Mint

NAS:

Pentium G4400 - 4GB DDR4 - Fujitsu Esprimo P556 - 250GB SATA SSD - 2 x 4TB NAS HDD - 12V PSU - OpenMediaVault

Laptop:

Dell Latitude E6520 - i5 2430M - 2x4GB DDR3 - 250GB SATA SSD - Windows 10 Pro - Linux Mint

5 minutes ago, GrayTech said:

Hey guys!

I heared many cool things about the Raspberry PI and recently I thougt that it would be nice to do someting with one. But to be honest, I know nothing about it xD. What do I need to purchase besides the Raspberry PI and what is the difference between thie different models? Do I have to know/learn a programming language? Are there other things should to know? And what are some cool projects for a beginner? It would be nice if you can help me to get started!

Get the Raspberry Pi, a appropriate power source, and at the VERY least a 8GB MicroSD card (get a class 10 or higher)...  16GB gives you enough to actually do stuff.

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

Event Viewer 101: https://youtu.be/GiF9N3fJbnE

1 minute ago, JefferyD90 said:

Get the Raspberry Pi, a appropriate power source, and at the VERY least a 8GB MicroSD card (get a class 10 or higher)...  16GB gives you enough to actually do stuff.

I could get something like a starter kit.

Main PC:

Ryzen 5 1600 3.8GHz - RX 570 4GB - 2x8GB DDR4 - ASUS Prime X370-Pro - Shadow Rock 2 - Define S - Seasonic Prime Gold 650W

Dorm PC:

i5 4590 - GTX 960 4GB - 2x4GB DDR3 - ASUS H81M2 - Dark Rock 3 - Define R3 - 250GB SATA SSD - Seasonic S12 430W - Windows 10 Pro - Linux Mint

NAS:

Pentium G4400 - 4GB DDR4 - Fujitsu Esprimo P556 - 250GB SATA SSD - 2 x 4TB NAS HDD - 12V PSU - OpenMediaVault

Laptop:

Dell Latitude E6520 - i5 2430M - 2x4GB DDR3 - 250GB SATA SSD - Windows 10 Pro - Linux Mint

Just now, GrayTech said:

I could get something like a starter kit.

If you want, I didn't.  Because I wanted specific stuff.

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

Event Viewer 101: https://youtu.be/GiF9N3fJbnE

When you buy one, make sure you get a Raspberry pi 3 or a variant of that and I'd suggest a USB WiFi dongle if you can't connect it via Ethernet. The older ones don't have as many features. 

As for ideas, sign up to the official newsletter here https://www.raspberrypi.org/weekly/. They send you info, updates and showcase some things other people have done with them. I find this helpful to work out ideas. So far all I've done is Retro Pi, which is emulators of older consoles on a pi. So I'd definitely check that out as well.

10 minutes ago, JefferyD90 said:

8GB is plenty to "do stuff", but based on cost per GB, and where they actually use quality silicon, i'd suggest a 16GB either way :P

1 minute ago, Wrb said:

When you buy one, make sure you get a Raspberry pi 3 or a variant of that and I'd suggest a USB WiFi dongle if you can't connect it via Ethernet. The older ones don't have as many features. 

you just contradicted yourself there... pi3 includes a wifi chip.

on topic: you need the pi itself, a 5 volt source (like a phone charger) that ends or can be adapted to micro usb (preferably a very good make, at least 2A), a micro SD card, a computer that can access said SD card to write an OS to it (my preferred way is buying a micro sd card with an included adapter, and using a laptop with an SD card slot), a HDMI display, and usb peripherals of choice.

if you intend to do anything high load on a pi, i suggest looking into cooling solutions, for regular ordinary operation a strip of metal bent upright and stuck to the main chip is *okay*

13 hours ago, GrayTech said:

Hey guys!

Here's the minimum/least cost to do anything:

1 Raspberry Pi Zero

1 micro SD card with a way to read it on your main PC (8 GB class 10 is a good'un, 16 GB is good too and usually not really more expensive)

1 micro USB cable, like you'd use to charge a phone. 3 feet or shorter is better to start with

For about $10 to $15 (assuming you can find the Pi Zero for $5 in stock at retail), you have a shrinky-dinky little Linux machine with exposed GPIO headers that you can do cool things with (albeit a limited number of things with just those few pieces). If you set up the Pi Zero as an ethernet gadget (https://learn.adafruit.com/turning-your-raspberry-pi-zero-into-a-usb-gadget/ethernet-gadget), you can connect to it, give it internet access, and use it via SSH for the command line and/or VNC for a GUI, and you can set it up for future projects. The Pi Zero sips power - you can easily run it off a computer's USB port.

You don't need to know any programming languages, but you do need to read and follow guides and instructions, get used to the Linux command line, and be ready and willing to fail. After you have played around with it a bit, you can start learning a little Python (which is a relatively easy programming language, but a very powerful one) to make the Pi dance to your whims. As you get ideas for projects, you can add bits and bobs in the direction you want to go, like get some electronics components and a soldering iron to control things by the GPIO pins, or get a case and a mini HDMI adapter and a USB OTG adapter to turn the thing into a media center or a retro game emulation box. Or you can mix the two and make your own custom handheld gaming geegaw.

If you want to go big, the Pi 3 and a good number of accessories, as detailed by other posters above, is also really good. I have a Pi 3 and a few Pi Zeroes, as well as a handful of Arduinos of different sizes (including Adafruit Trinkets and Digisparks). They're all useful for different things, and none are terribly expensive.

Personally, I like having a project in mind to help me learn. Like, fan controllers are popular - you could get some thermistors (heat-sensing electronics) and transistors (electronically-activated switches) and turn a Pi Zero into a fan controller for your PC. Stick a few buttons and switches onto the front to tweak the fan curve or totally override it. Or do an RGBLED controller for your case where you can change the colors by tweeting. Or go to Project Euler to do programming puzzles, and use the slow CPU on the Pi as a way to force yourself to code efficiently.

Thanks for your help and project ideas @Factory Factory! I'll probably get the PI 3.

Can I power the PI 3 with a 5V 2.1 amp powerbank?

Main PC:

Dorm PC:

NAS:

Laptop:

Yes, as long as you use a short cable to minimize voltage drop and it really puts out 2.1 amps. I run my 3 off a 5V 2A port on my charging station, and a 6 foot cord flashes the low voltage warning light, whereas a 3 foot, thick wire cord or a 6-inch standard cord do fine.

Just go easy on the power-hungry USB peripherals. The "2.5A" recommendation budgets 1.2A and change for USB devices powered by the Pi. Stick to just a mouse and keyboard or one major powered USB device or use a powered hub and there won't be any problems.

2 minutes ago, Factory Factory said:

Yes, as long as you use a short cable to minimize voltage drop and it really puts out 2.1 amps. I run my 3 off a 5V 2A port on my charging station, and a 6 foot cord flashes the low voltage warning light, whereas a 3 foot, thick wire cord or a 6-inch standard cord do fine.

Just go easy on the power-hungry USB peripherals. The "2.5A" recommendation budgets 1.2A and change for USB devices powered by the Pi. Stick to just a mouse and keyboard or one major powered USB device or use a powered hub and there won't be any problems.

Thanks!

Do you have any other project ideas for beginners and what should I do first when I get my PI 3?

Main PC:

Dorm PC:

NAS:

Laptop:

Is the Samsung microSDHC Evo Plus UHS-I Class 10 good enough for the PI 3?

And should I use a 5V 2 amp or a 5V 3 amp charger.

Main PC:

Dorm PC:

NAS:

Laptop:

Oh yeah, that's a high-quality card.

As for projects, that's a Google away, like "beginner Raspberry Pi projects". But you'll often find that most project ideas want you to make a semipermanent setup. You can fix this by using something like the Adafruit Pi T Cobbler https://www.adafruit.com/product/2028, which lets you easily hook up the GPIO pins to a project securely, but temporarily.

I kind of like the idea of a meArm/uArm robot, personally. Or you could hook up a webcam or the camera module and make a basic conformal neural network to read text labels and tie that into the arm to make a little retrieval system.

1 minute ago, Factory Factory said:

But you'll often find that most project ideas want you to make a semipermanent setup.

Yea, that was my problem. Thanks, I'll check out this cobbler!

Main PC:

Dorm PC:

NAS:

Laptop:

OK! I thin I know what I want to do with my PI!

Main PC:

Dorm PC:

NAS:

Laptop:

4 hours ago, GrayTech said:

OK! I thin I know what I want to do with my PI!

That's great, I have two (raspi2 and pizero) just sitting in the drawer, I have no idea what to use them for.  Tell me :)

17 hours ago, elkenrod said:

That's great, I have two (raspi2 and pizero) just sitting in the drawer, I have no idea what to use them for.  Tell me :)

I'll probably try to "connect" my PI to my PC. I want to set up something like a fan controller, a temperature sensor for my case and maybe even some LEDs. This will probably be connected to a small display or something like that.  I know that the PI isn't connected to my PC when I do this but I think you understand what I mean.

Main PC:

Dorm PC:

NAS:

Laptop:

Should I get a 5V 2 amp/2.5 amp/3amp charger? @Factory Factory

Main PC:

Dorm PC:

NAS:

Laptop:

37 minutes ago, GrayTech said:

Should I get a 5V 2 amp/2.5 amp/3amp charger? @Factory Factory

go for the 3 amp, more power for peripherals and the board itself plus you can get away with a longer cord

Spoiler

The Ninja (current gaming pc)  Case- h440 red/black cpu- i5-4690k@ 4.3ghz cooler- coolermaster hyper 212 evo moboGigabyte z97x-sli ram- adata xpg v.1 2x4gb 1600mhz gpu- asus strix gtx 970 hdd- wd blue 1tb ssd- kingston hyperx savage 240gb psu- evga 600b peripherals: mouse- razer death adder 2013 keyboard- corsair k70 with chery mx-reds headset- HyperX Cloud 2

my laptop- toshiba satelite p850, cpu- i7-3630qm ram- 8gb 1600mhz hdd- 1tb 5400rpm gpu- Nvidia gt630m 2gb

did you know we have a gun thread ? well we do 

and a car thread ! 

Just now, Midnitewarrior4 said:

go for the 3 amp, more power for peripherals and the board itself

So 3 amps are no problem for the PI?

Main PC:

Dorm PC:

NAS:

Laptop:

As long as you're not forcing the matter, no. Standard power supplies for computers are constant-voltage power supplies, not constant-current.