Shooting a short movie need some advice

I am gonna attempt for the first time ever to make a short movie or video from 5-10 mins

I have never done this before (first time) so need some advice

So which video editing program that has easy looking and easy to use interface and has variety of fucntions / features. I am using MAGIX Edit PRO atm but might consider other options. Price is not an issue too (for program, not intended to buy anything for hardware though like tripod of some sort).

I will also be using my Galaxy S5 Neo to capture everything. So 1080p 30 fps unfortunately. I do have a some what good camera but it is for taking pictures only and does only 720p60. 

(damn S5 non neo has 1080p60 and so does S6. I feel unlucky now)

I live in Toronto now so any ideas is welcome. (Shooting place, ideas of what to shoot, shooting location). Shooting as in taking a video not as in what Americans do.

Basically it is a contest, I do not hope to win at all but would very love to participate. A guy named Owl City aka Adam Young aka my favorite musician ever decided to host a contest where you have to create a movie from 5-10 mins (deadline is 31/12/2016 so I am good on that). He said to use one (or more) of his song on it. Not Owl City, but Adam Young scores they are available free to download and stream (http://ayoungscores.com). Feel free to listen to some of it.

For video editing (which i think was the question?) I use Davinci Resolve. Pretty good format, option for dual screen as well, but it will only take MP4 files afaik. Haven't bothered to look it up though since I record in MP4 anyways. Has it's own forum for support also

My Build, v2.1 --- CPU: i7-8700K @ 5.2GHz/1.288v || MoBo: Asus ROG STRIX Z390-E Gaming || RAM: 4x4GB G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 2666 14-14-14-33 || Cooler: Custom Loop || GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black, on water || PSU: EVGA G2 850W || Case: Corsair 450D || SSD: 850 Evo 250GB, Intel 660p 2TB || Storage: WD Blue 2TB || G502 & Glorious PCGR Fully Custom 80% Keyboard || MX34VQ, PG278Q, PB278Q

Audio --- Headphones: Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 6XX || Amp: Schiit Audio Magni 3 || DAC: Schiit Audio Modi 3 || Mic: Blue Yeti

[Under Construction]

My Truck --- 2002 F-350 7.3 Powerstroke || 6-speed

My Car --- 2006 Mustang GT || 5-speed || BBK LTs, O/R X, MBRP Cat-back || BBK Lowering Springs, LCAs || 2007 GT500 wheels w/ 245s/285s

The Experiment --- CPU: i5-3570K @ 4.0 GHz || MoBo: Asus P8Z77-V LK || RAM: 16GB Corsair 1600 4x4 || Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo || GPUs: Asus GTX 750 Ti, || PSU: Corsair TX750M Gold || Case: Thermaltake Core G21 TG || SSD: 840 Pro 128GB || HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB

R.I.P. Asus X99-A motherboard, April 2016 - October 2018, may you rest in peace. 5820K, if I ever buy you a new board, it'll be a good one.

Just now, Cereal5 said:

For video editing (which i think was the question?) I use Davinci Resolve. Pretty good format, option for dual screen as well, but it will only take MP4 files afaik. Haven't bothered to look it up though since I record in MP4 anyways. Has it's own forum for support also

Yeah I will look it up. Is it easy to use. I don't like spending a week learning how to open a new project for video editing. 

I will be uploading it to YouTube so format is not an issue

9 minutes ago, dexxterlab97 said:

I will be uploading it to YouTube so format is not an issue

For importing videos, most editors require a certain file. this is different from exporting to youtube

My Build, v2.1 --- CPU: i7-8700K @ 5.2GHz/1.288v || MoBo: Asus ROG STRIX Z390-E Gaming || RAM: 4x4GB G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 2666 14-14-14-33 || Cooler: Custom Loop || GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black, on water || PSU: EVGA G2 850W || Case: Corsair 450D || SSD: 850 Evo 250GB, Intel 660p 2TB || Storage: WD Blue 2TB || G502 & Glorious PCGR Fully Custom 80% Keyboard || MX34VQ, PG278Q, PB278Q

Audio --- Headphones: Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 6XX || Amp: Schiit Audio Magni 3 || DAC: Schiit Audio Modi 3 || Mic: Blue Yeti

[Under Construction]

My Car --- 2006 Mustang GT || 5-speed || BBK LTs, O/R X, MBRP Cat-back || BBK Lowering Springs, LCAs || 2007 GT500 wheels w/ 245s/285s

The Experiment --- CPU: i5-3570K @ 4.0 GHz || MoBo: Asus P8Z77-V LK || RAM: 16GB Corsair 1600 4x4 || Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo || GPUs: Asus GTX 750 Ti, || PSU: Corsair TX750M Gold || Case: Thermaltake Core G21 TG || SSD: 840 Pro 128GB || HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB

R.I.P. Asus X99-A motherboard, April 2016 - October 2018, may you rest in peace. 5820K, if I ever buy you a new board, it'll be a good one.

Just now, wrathoftheturkey said:

It's not, but nothing good and free is (believe me I've looked). It's your best option. Also, the video quality shouldn't be as much of a quality as sound, phone microphone quality is utter shit. 

Owl City? What are you, 12? (I ask because I was obsessed with him last year)

Also, he has a name?

Price is not an issue. 

And no I don't need sound at all, as I mentioned I will be using his music and so it's just a video

And no I am not 12. 

Yes Adam Randal Young.

honestly, filmora is actually a really good editor if you don't want to spend a week trolling forums and reading manuals about how to edit. The pro version is very easy to use and has so many pre integrated effects - even the sunlight ray filter

22 minutes ago, dexxterlab97 said:

Shooting as in taking a video not as in what Americans do.

Funny.

14 minutes ago, dexxterlab97 said:

Is it easy to use

Video editing period isn't easy

[Under Construction]

Using PowerDirector here for my short films/school project. PD, Sonny Vegas and your Magix edit looks pretty similar. They are perfect for casual video editing as they are pretty easy to pick up.

Just listened to your guy. The soundtracks are pretty sick and epic. As someone who only went to Toronto metropolitan area once or twice. Bishop airport would be interesting to film since his scores deal often with adventures so it will be fun to begin with a ride at sunset/up.

The CN museum near the CN tower would be also interesting with all the collections of locomotives.  (If they are still there, I think I read somewhere that they are moved for restaurations)

Do you need a story? Just asking because without it, it may be pretty boring for 10 min.

1 minute ago, gtx1060=value said:

honestly, filmora is actually a really good editor if you don't want to spend a week trolling forums and reading manuals about how to edit. The pro version is very easy to use and has so many pre integrated effects - even the sunlight ray filter

ooh looks really cool, it's like Windows Movie Maker has been upgraded

23 minutes ago, dexxterlab97 said:

I am gonna attempt for the first time ever to make a short movie or video from 5-10 mins

I have never done this before (first time) so need some advice

So which video editing program that has easy looking and easy to use interface and has variety of fucntions / features. I am using MAGIX Edit PRO atm but might consider other options. Price is not an issue too (for program, not intended to buy anything for hardware though like tripod of some sort).

I will also be using my Galaxy S5 Neo to capture everything. So 1080p 30 fps unfortunately. I do have a some what good camera but it is for taking pictures only and does only 720p60. 

(damn S5 non neo has 1080p60 and so does S6. I feel unlucky now)

I live in Toronto now so any ideas is welcome. (Shooting place, ideas of what to shoot, shooting location). Shooting as in taking a video not as in what Americans do.

Basically it is a contest, I do not hope to win at all but would very love to participate. A guy named Owl City aka Adam Young aka my favorite musician ever decided to host a contest where you have to create a movie from 5-10 mins (deadline is 31/12/2016 so I am good on that). He said to use one (or more) of his song on it. Not Owl City, but Adam Young scores they are available free to download and stream (http://ayoungscores.com). Feel free to listen to some of it.

in toronto, find the place where rick mercer shoots his rants, the alleyway with cool graffiti in it, then the toronto sign and probably near the harbour front too

Just now, CptLameJokes said:

Using PowerDirector here for my short films/school project. PD, Sonny Vegas and your Magix edit looks pretty similar. They are perfect for casual video editing as they are pretty easy to pick up.

Just listened to your guy. The soundtracks are pretty sick and epic. As someone who only went to Toronto metropolitan area once or twice. Bishop airport would be interesting to film since his scores deal often with adventures so it will be fun to begin with a ride at sunset/up.

The CN museum near the CN tower would be also interesting with all the collections of locomotives.  (If they are still there, I think I read somewhere that they are moved for restaurations)

Do you need a story? Just asking because without it, it may be pretty boring for 10 min.

I am thinking. Cool idea, I might go check the airport too. I have a whole day to film. You have some really nice ideas

2 minutes ago, gtx1060=value said:

in toronto, find the place where rick mercer shoots his rants, the alleyway with cool graffiti in it, then the toronto sign and probably near the harbour front too

not really my idea to shoot some alley with some teen punk and graffitii, look up ayoungscores

6 minutes ago, Cereal5 said:

Video editing period isn't easy

Well in the worse case I can simply learn it. I have more than a month

1 minute ago, dexxterlab97 said:

I know sony vegas has a demo also. Think it is like a month tho. theres also a crack for it to get the full version for free. Dunno how reliable that is

[Under Construction]

8 minutes ago, Cereal5 said:

I know sony vegas has a demo also. Think it is like a month tho. theres also a crack for it to get the full version for free. Dunno how reliable that is

A month is more than enough. And no, no illegal stuff to be discussed here

Just now, dexxterlab97 said:

A month is more than enough. And no, no illegal stuff to be discussed here

Hey I didn't do it cause I like Resolve lol but yeah you cant find vegas demo here

[Under Construction]

1 minute ago, dexxterlab97 said:

Don't worry for that, it's not like you are going with primer or something. Entry level video editing software are made to be simple. It's not rocket science. But be aware of rendering time, you pc may take a lot of time to render (and space), so maybe 30fps is a bless after all....

PowerDirector and Vegas have a month of free trial. You can use that to your advantage.

1 minute ago, CptLameJokes said:

Don't worry for that, it's not like you are going with primer or something. Entry level video editing software are made to be simple. It's not rocket science. But be aware of rendering time, you pc may take a lot of time to render (and space), so maybe 30fps is a bless after all....

PowerDirector and Vegas have a month of free trial. You can use that to your advantage.

I have a month to wait for it to render lol. But my i5 4460 should make it to half a month

I used Cyber PwerDirector before on my laptop. It comes free with limited features. Not really pleased but maybe it's an old version.

I have heard of Vegas a lot. Might give it a try again

I am just going to say my opinion of the two Video Editors I have tried, both have a free version. Its LightWorks and Resolve. but LWs free version is only 720p max output.

I think Lightworks was easier to learn than Resolve, (it might be different for different people) and has more customizability in how you want to edit, like if you want the viewer down in the right corner and the timeline on top of the screen, fine, just drag it there, or you want things on different screens like you want yourself, just drag it there. Want to have 3 viewers up showing all with different clips, fine, just do it.

But Resolve is more powerful, especially in the colour editing part and if you are going to track something in the shots.

But my experience with those programs is very limited, so may not be the best idea to listen to me?
With limited, I mean like just trying to learn one and so switch to try to learn the other.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking