Thinking of upgrading from I5 to i7 could use some help

RicHaj

My current pc has an i5 4670k .  32gb ram and a nvidia 1080 GPU

i'm not looking to change my Mobo or the whole pc, but i do a fair amount of video rendering on this machine and i was considering going up to an i7.

Thing is i'm not sure if the cost benefit is worth it at this point. Could really use suggestions on this. Is the upgrade worth at this point? WHat model would give me the best cost-benefit here?

My gues would be: keep the I5, when looking at cost-benefit... But I don't know much about Intel...

There wont be any real noticeable performance differnce unless playing at 1080p which is a bit if a waste with a 1080 anyway. Unless you need it for editing or somthing, I wound't really worry. 

Edit: Misread, if you need the extra cores for rendering, buy an i7. 

Please quote our replys so we get a notification and can reply easily. Never cheap out on a PSU, or I will come to watch the fireworks. 

PSU Tier List

My specs

Spoiler

PC:

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K @4.8GHz
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S 
Motherboard:  ASUS Maximus VIII Hero 
GPU: Zotac AMP Extreme 1070 @ 2114Mhz
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB
Case: Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5 
Power Supply: EVGA 750W G2

Peripherals 

Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Browns
Mouse: Logitech G502 
Headphones: Kingston HyperX Cloud Revolver 

Monitor: U2713M @ 75Hz

but what are you rendering? Alot of effects? If it's just basic editing and exporting then keep the i5, if you do a lot of color grading and effects then sure but also keep in mind your average length of each project.If you don't really do anything over 10 minutes then the i5 is fine.

System: i7 4790K, Hyper 212 EVO, 16 GB Crucial Ballistix, GTX 1070 Super clocked, MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition, Corsair RM 750, Corsair 750D (with 2 additional 140mm NZXT fans up top for exhaust.) 

Usually the sort of stuff i edit and render is around 10-15 minutes, sometimes 1080p, sometimes 720p either 30 or 60fps and there are usually 3-4 video layers, a few visual effects or overlapping videos and images, nothing too crazy... my usual rendering loop if between 45min to 1 hour per video, while a really rare heavy project will take 3 hours to render tops. But also cause i'm using settings that compress the file size without loosing quality. My main concern was to learn if upgrading to an i7 would have any significant impact on these times, cause if not, i'll just stay with my i5 and save up to a full new rig down the line

14 minutes ago, rn8686 said:

Edit: Misread, if you need the extra cores for rendering, buy an i7. 

But there are no extra cores in going i7 within the same platform.

I think that, as @Dutch-stoner said, it's a matter of cost-effectiveness: the i7 will perform better, but the question is how much the added performance is worth.

The best you can get without upgrading your motherboard and RAM is an i7 4790K. If you get a 4790K you will most likely need to update your BIOS. What motherboard do you have? If you want a significant performance improvement you will have to go X99.

2 minutes ago, Matias_Chambers said:

The best you can get without upgrading your motherboard and RAM is an i7 4790K. If you get a 4790K you will most likely need to update your BIOS. What motherboard do you have? If you want a significant performance improvement you will have to go X99.

My Mobo is a Z87 - G45 MSI Gaming , so im still stuck with Haswell, and x89.

Also worth mentioning i suppose, is that my current CPU is not overclocked. I could go that route too, but since i never tinkered with overclocking before and this is my working PC, i was not fully confident on that option instead of a straight up upgrade

You can overclock easily, better to to that and see If the results fit you.

Doesnt have to be a massive oc,  Just find your comfort zone

Ultra is stupid. ALWAYS.

OC first, you can easily get the 4670k up to 4.4Ghz per core... see what the difference is then.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

is it worth it to use the Auto-OC option the MOBO bios offers me? i would imagine that this is a noob-friendly option that is not optimal but it's safe.

30 minutes ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

But there are no extra cores in going i7 within the same platform.

I think that, as @Dutch-stoner said, it's a matter of cost-effectiveness: the i7 will perform better, but the question is how much the added performance is worth.

I7 are hyperthreaded + a bit more CPU cache. So it's no extra physical cores, but hyperthreading can help in this case for rendering. Think it could help OP if he gets 4790K (and his mobo's bios can be updated for devils canyon: Check this before buying, otherwise it's a no go but think MSI has given a update for this board).

This because he also renders, otherwise it wouldn't be worth it.4790k Is already turboing up to 4.4 Ghz so thats already a step up with no OC that should assist his 1080 aswell in game performance. You could consider buying a cheap 2nd hand so the performance bump/cost isn't to bad and allows for a try out. A new x99 platform is way more expensive to try out.

Not knowing other specs, but make sure you have a good cooler because an simple OC might get you even more performance. 4.8 (maybe 5.0 Ghz if lucky) must not be to difficult with a decent aircooler like the Scythe Fuma  (can recommend that one as best imo) or a Noctua type, or ofcourse a liquid AIO like the NZXT kraken x61. but maybe you already have a decent cooler for a simple OC. I asume that besides rendering you also game so in that case higher CPU speeds also help the 1080 if it would be bottlenecked by CPU but 4.4 Ghz standard in turbo is already nice bump over your current specs.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Basic PC parts guide

PSU Tier list

1 hour ago, RicHaj said:

My Mobo is a Z87 - G45 MSI Gaming , so im still stuck with Haswell, and x89.

Also worth mentioning i suppose, is that my current CPU is not overclocked. I could go that route too, but since i never tinkered with overclocking before and this is my working PC, i was not fully confident on that option instead of a straight up upgrade

OC'ing wont give you a big performance increase in rendering.