Unreleased R9 290X review performance charts

James_AJ

Temps were in the last one, I posted

Just power. And if you think about it, this just shows that AMD is brute forcing their way in. Performance per watt sucks a fat one.

"Say it, do it, preach it, shout it, but never, absolutely never, believe your own bullshit"   

Credited with the whole female avatar trend

Your thoughts here http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/67178-your-top-three/

5kq6.jpg

“The mind of the bigot is like the pupil of the eye; the more light you pour upon it the more it will contract” -Oliver Wendell Holmes “If it can be destroyed by the truth, it deserves to be destroyed by the truth.” -Carl Sagan

So what we are seeing, from the quick glance, it doesn't seem to beat out handily the Titan. Its evenly matched with the Titan. I had a feeling that this is how it would play out. Props to AMD for matching the performance, yes, but the whole Titan Killer comments well, just not true. And the power charts, jeez, they are using more power to just match a Titan? I've got to wonder what the temps really are at that performance level.

Just power. And if you think about it, this just shows that AMD is brute forcing their way in. Performance per watt sucks a fat one.

... I personally have never seen a valid reason to care about that. Electricity is cheap. And compared to older GPUs it's actually pretty great (480 anyone?).

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

... I personally have never seen a valid reason to care about that. Electricity is cheap. And compared to older GPUs it's actually pretty great (480 anyone?).

I'm just bringing up the point that AMD is brute-forcing their way up the charts. Their proc they've decided to simply drive up the multiplier instead of making it more efficient. They're essentially doing the same with their GPUs.

"Say it, do it, preach it, shout it, but never, absolutely never, believe your own bullshit"   

I'm just bringing up the point that AMD is brute-forcing their way up the charts. Their proc they've decided to simply drive up the multiplier instead of making it more efficient. They're essentially doing the same with their GPUs.

I personally find that acceptable as a means to stay competitive until 20nm and 14nm can get here and be efficient/high yield and whatnot. 

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

So what we are seeing, from the quick glance, it doesn't seem to beat out handily the Titan. Its evenly matched with the Titan. I had a feeling that this is how it would play out. Props to AMD for matching the performance, yes, but the whole Titan Killer comments well, just not true. And the power charts, jeez, they are using more power to just match a Titan? I've got to wonder what the temps really are at that performance level.

Titan is already dead. The 780 did that and if they are matching or close to matching Titan performance at a similar price (and it looks like it will cost even less) then this is just as much of a Titan killer as the 780. We need to wait for drivers to mature as well.

Get a better PSU and stop whining.

“The mind of the bigot is like the pupil of the eye; the more light you pour upon it the more it will contract” -Oliver Wendell Holmes “If it can be destroyed by the truth, it deserves to be destroyed by the truth.” -Carl Sagan

Get a better PSU and stop whining.

I think my TX650V2 is perfectly fine, thank you very much.

Titan is already dead. The 780 did that and if they are matching or close to matching Titan performance at a similar price (and it looks like it will cost even less) then this is just as much of a Titan killer as the 780. We need to wait for drivers to mature as well.

You say so Hoss, wrong, but whatever you say.

By the way, how do you say a card killed something when it uses more power (Which probably means more heat and probably more audible), about evenly matches a card yet doesn't blow it out of the water? And now we have to factor in the G-Sync tech that is coming out.

A product is not just about raw fps. It is the whole factor. Geez.

I know I am awesome thank you, the lies

# -_-     [Planned RIg AKA Project ARES    -_-#

| AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core | Be Quiet DARK ROCK 2 57.9 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing | Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z  |G.Skill Ripjaws X 8GB Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM |Samsung 840 Series 250GB 2.5" SSD | Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 3GB  |Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower|Gelid Solutions Silent 14 PWM 74.5 CFM 140mm x3 |Corsair RM Series 750 Watt ATX/EPS 80PLUS Gold-Certified Power Supply|

|Rosewill RNX-N250PCe | Windows 8  | Acer H236HLbid 23.0" |Corsair Vengeance K70 
Corsair Vengeance M65 Wired Laser | STEELSERIES QCK Black|Sennheiser HD 558Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer         

You say so Hoss, wrong, but whatever you say.

By the way, how do you say a card killed something when it uses more power (Which probably means more heat and probably more audible), about evenly matches a card yet doesn't blow it out of the water? And now we have to factor in the G-Sync tech that is coming out.

A product is not just about raw fps. It is the whole factor. Geez.

Well for one it'll cost $300-$400 less. More power? It's all of 10W. The non-reference coolers won't have much, if any, distinguishable noise difference between them. G-sync is nice, I'm excited for it, it fixes a lot of problems, but personally I don't really care until it's more widely adopted and exists in higher resolution IPS monitors, and that will be up to the monitor manufacturers to implement. Geforce Experience and Shadowplay might be a nice features for some people, for me they mean nothing. So, for me it pretty much is just about raw observed FPS.

So... MOAR R9 290X performance!

It's interesting to see that it goes head-to-head against Titan most of the time (which it should with 2816 stream processors and 512-bit bus)

It's also interesting to see that it pretty much destroys 780 in every possible configuration.

Now the question is, will it beat 780 Ti?

http://videocardz.com/47106/amd-radeon-r9-290x-review-charts-leak

(I didn't post images. Go to the link to check it out)

Ti will beat that card  they already lost,  nvid is always 1 gen ahead of amd. 

Ti will beat that card  they already lost,  nvid is always 1 gen ahead of amd. 

I doubt it myself. Probably equal within 2-4% (note that 4% of 60FPS is 2.4FPS, which is literally negligible).

† Christian Member †

I doubt it myself. Probably equal within 2-4% (note that 4% of 60FPS is 2.4FPS, which is literally negligible).

I can pray right? lol

Well for one it'll cost $300-$400 less. More power? It's all of 10W. The non-reference coolers won't have much, if any, distinguishable noise difference between them. G-sync is nice, I'm excited for it, it fixes a lot of problems, but personally I don't really care until it's more widely adopted and exists in higher resolution IPS monitors, and that will be up to the monitor manufacturers to implement. Geforce Experience and Shadowplay might be a nice features for some people, for me they mean nothing. So, for me it pretty much is just about raw observed FPS.

So what matters to you is raw observed FPS? But you believe its a Titan killer? Talk about not sure which side of the fence to be on. Here is an example, would it be a Titan killer if it was the exact same price? (Remember, there has been NO official price stated for the 290x). The answer is NO, it is not a Titan killer. Its on par with the Titan, tying, beating, and loosing in some of the tests. That isn't being killed. That is doing enough to get the job done. Price doesn't matter. Thats like saying the 7970 kills the Titan because of price. Doesn't work that way.

The "Titan Killer" seems to be beating the Titan by a very slim margin if not loosing to it....... Titan is 9 months old.......

EDIT: I get its cheaper

Specs: CPU: FX 8350 MOBO: Crosshair V Formula-Z RAM: 2x4GB Kingston HyperX Beast 1600Mhz GPU: Gigabyte GTX 780 Windforce GHz Edition PSU: Corsair CX750M Case: Corsair 750D Storage: Corsair Neutron GTX 120GB + WD 2TB Green + WD 200GB Black (non-functional/to take up space) Monitor: ASUS PB238Q Upgrade Plans Herehttp://pcpartpicker.com/user/chipsndip104/saved/3AAt

I can already see mantle becoming a much bigger force than people take into account in the coming future. Considering they made it with their console architecture in mind, I could see AMD outperforming Nvidia in the next 3 years unless OpenGL and steambox really impact the market (but I highly doubt it).

So what matters to you is raw observed FPS? But you believe its a Titan killer? Talk about not sure which side of the fence to be on. Here is an example, would it be a Titan killer if it was the exact same price? (Remember, there has been NO official price stated for the 290x). The answer is NO, it is not a Titan killer. Its on par with the Titan, tying, beating, and loosing in some of the tests. That isn't being killed. That is doing enough to get the job done. Price doesn't matter. Thats like saying the 7970 kills the Titan because of price. Doesn't work that way.

The "Titan Killer" seems to be beating the Titan by a very slim margin if not loosing to it....... Titan is 9 months old.......

EDIT: I get its cheaper

This-V

I can already see mantle becoming a much bigger force than people take into account in the coming future. Considering they made it with their console architecture in mind, I could see AMD outperforming Nvidia in the next 3 years unless OpenGL and steambox really impact the market (but I highly doubt it).

† Christian Member †

...are you trolling? That is THIS thread.

And for people blaming ME for the dubious results, it's probably CPU bottleneck, let's be honest...

to top that off, I'm pretty sure none of these cards are OC'd (unlike how Linus does it).

For people saying this performance is too below their expectations and that AMD "brute force their way in" *cough @Sarcasm*, go ahead and send your precious little concerns directly to AMD yourself.

i wouldnt call that destroying, and if that is destroying to you, then i feel sorry for your girlfriend/wife..

thanks for your much needed comment, which is very mature of you. Of course you were expecting 2x performance the Titan.

Oh man, why won't people take stuff with a grain of salt?

And for people blaming ME for the dubious results, it's probably CPU bottleneck, let's be honest...

to top that off, I'm pretty sure none of these cards are OC'd (unlike how Linus does it).

For people saying this performance is too below their expectations and that AMD "brute force their way in" *cough @Sarcasm*, go ahead and send your precious little concerns directly to AMD yourself.

thanks for your much needed comment, which is very mature of you. Of course you were expecting 2x performance the Titan.

Oh man, why won't people take stuff with a grain of salt?

Actually, you see two threads were merged into one, and what you see is that. So calm down just a little there Hoss. The fact is, these are the results that are out, the simple fact is that this isn't the "Titan Killer" that AMD said they were going to put out. And yeah, you said these cards aren't OC'd? So? OCing doesn't mean jack right about now. These are tests that show stock versus stock, as in if you were to go buy it off the shelf and install it right this second. Pretty good indication of performance, I would say. Give me a ball park, how many % of people that buy AMD or Nvidia graphics cards, overclock them? (Hint: Not as large as one would think.)

Actually, you see two threads were merged into one, and what you see is that. So calm down just a little there Hoss. The fact is, these are the results that are out, the simple fact is that this isn't the "Titan Killer" that AMD said they were going to put out. And yeah, you said these cards aren't OC'd? So? OCing doesn't mean jack right about now. These are tests that show stock versus stock, as in if you were to go buy it off the shelf and install it right this second. Pretty good indication of performance, I would say. Give me a ball park, how many % of people that buy AMD or Nvidia graphics cards, overclock them? (Hint: Not as large as one would think.)

you're probably right. I was just a "little" pissed off at some of the comments on this thread. Thanks, dude

(right as in, the threads probably were merged into one, people are upset just because they expected "Titan killer" and that not many ppl OC)

There was another one which got merged with this one where I posted the above comment.

144Hz goodness

There was another one which got merged with this one where I posted the above comment.

in the time of posting, there was NO thread about this AMD "leak" neither in the general discussion nor the Tech News.