How badly will streaming damage my CPU?

So I've been streaming at 1706:720 at 60fps (21:9 aspect ratio) recently and I've encountered little issues with it. However, whenever I use OBS (The streaming program I'm using) it says to lower my settings due to high encoding and CPU usage.

I have heard that streaming can greatly decrease my CPU lifespan but I was wondering by how much since I've been streaming fine with little problems.

My PC consists of:

- i5 4590

- 10GB RAM

- GTX 1070

- MSI Gaming Motherboard (Late 2014)

Will this hurt my CPU, and/or other parts of my PC, and should I keep streaming at these settings or should I lower to 720p 30fps?

I have no idea why it would "hurt" your CPU more than any other program. In theory (and in practice) your CPU will last longer than you'll need it to anyways, as long as you keep the temperatures in check. Any process lessens the life of your CPU.

I used to be quite active here.

3 minutes ago, Yoo Song Won said:

So I've been streaming at 1706:720 at 60fps (21:9 aspect ratio) recently and I've encountered little issues with it.

Are you a twitch partner? Because if you aren't, 1706:720 at 60fps is an extremely dumb resolution. You HAVE to lower it down, otherwise your viewers will suffer from it.

5 minutes ago, Yoo Song Won said:

whenever I use OBS (The streaming program I'm using) it says to lower my settings due to high encoding and CPU usage.

I have heard that streaming can greatly decrease my CPU lifespan but I was wondering by how much since I've been streaming fine with little problems.

Don't worry, that message is just saying that your CPU doesn't have enough power to encode + render whatever is it that you are gaming smoothly. It's a warning telling you that you should use lower settings to save on CPU power so that OBS and your games don't fight for limited resources, not a warning telling "omg, CPU EXPLODEZZZZ".

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

1 minute ago, Imakuni said:

Are you a twitch partner? Because if you aren't, 1706:720 at 60fps is an extremely dumb resolution. You HAVE to lower it down, otherwise your viewers will suffer from it.

Don't worry, that message is just saying that your CPU doesn't have enough power to encode + render whatever is it that you are gaming smoothly. It's a warning telling you that you should use lower settings to save on CPU power so that OBS and your games don't fight for limited resources, not a warning telling "omg, CPU EXPLODEZZZZ".

Ok thanks, but I don't see why the resolution is dumb... It's simply just 21:9 at 60fps at 720p... It looks great!

7 minutes ago, Yoo Song Won said:

Ok thanks, but I don't see why the resolution is dumb... It's simply just 21:9 at 60fps at 720p... It looks great!

It does, yet choppy laggy streams don't. better to make the steam accessibly reliably than intermittent

Silent build - You know your pc is too loud when the deaf complain. Windows 98 gaming build, smells like beige

Just now, Yoo Song Won said:

It looks great for you. But factor in bitrate (and if you are a small streamer, lack of twitch bandwidth) and it won't look as good for your viewers. Besides, very few people have a 21:9 setup, and given the twitch interface with stuff on both the left and right of the video player, ultrawide video streams just look even worse. Couple that with the fact that your PC isn't even being able to encode this properly, and you should really lower those settings.

Assuming you don't have quality options available (aka Small streamer), I suggest:

1. For starters, lowering your bitrate to ~1500. Or even less if your internet isn't all that good.
  2. If you stream very high motion games (FPS), 60 fps with 852x480 resolution downscale. Do not use ultrawide, you hear me? Use 16:9
  3. If you stream high motion (say, action games), 48fps at 960x540.
  4. If you stream slow motion (say, turn based games), 30 fps at 1024x576.

This should suit your better. With luck, you'll get rid of the encoding message, otherwise we'll have to lower stuff down even further.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

17 minutes ago, Yoo Song Won said:

So I've been streaming at 1706:720 at 60fps (21:9 aspect ratio) recently and I've encountered little issues with it. However, whenever I use OBS (The streaming program I'm using) it says to lower my settings due to high encoding and CPU usage.

My PC consists of:

- i5 4590

- 10GB RAM

- GTX 1070

- MSI Gaming Motherboard (Late 2014)

Will this hurt my CPU, and/or other parts of my PC, and should I keep streaming at these settings or should I lower to 720p 30fps?

Try using NvEnc as your codec & see if that improves your performance. (Uses your 1070 instead of CPU) Also, try reducing Fps to 30.

Many people watching the stream are affected by the higher fps on poor connections.

This makes me cry, It won't hurt your cpu unless your going over at least 80 degrees celcius. And if your streaming use Nvidia Experience Streaming, It's actually quite good.

The geek himself.