If I turn my extra monitor off manually will it improve my GPU performance

Kickflapper

If I turn my extra monitor off manually will it improve my GPU performance, or do I need to disable it?

It doesn't really matter.

As long as the 2nd monitor is just showing the desktop or something that isn't gpu intensive it won't matter.

I would just leave it, or maybe turn it off with the power button to save some electricity but that's it.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

Unless Windows is actually sending the signal to turn the display off, no. The GPU will still render the image and send out the signal.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

the second monitor will pull power from the gpu, you have to tell it not to use the monitor manually because it will still pull power even if you turn it off at the power button

my laptop with a 7670M gpu loses about 5% of power when I'm gaming with the second monitor on idle

Tomb Raider, when played on normal settings is about 40fps, with the second monitor enabled and 45-50fps when disabled, so for older gpu's it makes sense

Main Rig

CPU: Core i5 6600k (not OCed) - GPU: Sapphire Nitro+ RX480 8GB - MB: Asrock Z170 Pro 4 - CPU Cooler: Deepcool Gammaxx 200T -

RAM: Corsair Vengeance Blue LED 16GB - PSU: CoolerMaster V850 - CASE: CoolerMaster MasterCase Pro 5 - Monitor: Viewsonic XG2401
DRIVES: 275GB Crucial MX300 Boot SSD - 525GB Crucial MX300 Games library SSD - 2TB Seagate Barracuda Other stuff

Laptop - Toshiba Satellite L850

CPU: Core i7 3630QM - GPU: AMD Radeon 7670M - RAM: 12GB mix and match
DRIVES: 500GB Samsung EVO Boot SSD - 500GB Seagate HDD

Periphs

Mouse: G303 + G240 MP - KB: G710+ - HS: G933 - Speakers: Logitech Z213 and Creative SBS380

6 minutes ago, samcool55 said:

It doesn't really matter.

As long as the 2nd monitor is just showing the desktop or something that isn't gpu intensive it won't matter.

I would just leave it, or maybe turn it off with the power button to save some electricity but that's it.

thanks kinda figured

1 minute ago, Ratchetman42 said:

the second monitor will pull power from the gpu, you have to tell it not to use the monitor manually because it will still pull power even if you turn it off at the power button

my laptop with a 7670M gpu loses about 5% of power when I'm gaming with the second monitor on idle

Tomb Raider, when played on normal settings is about 40fps, with the second monitor enabled and 45-50fps when disabled, so for older gpu's it makes sense

Speaking from the other end of the specturm based upon your post

Using an R9 290 4GB dual screen doesn't even phase the GPU as just the desktop requires so little really for todays hardware.

I do agree though on older hardware it could be an issue depending on screen reso.

What does an Transformer get? Life insurance or car insurance? - Russell Howard - Standup (Made me giggle a bit)

Turning the power off to the display will not change anything, the GPU will send out information for the monitor anyways. If you unplug the monitor from the wall or from your GPU then obviously not though. As long as it's not like a GeForce GT 210 it really won't have a tangible impact

My Build, v2.1 --- CPU: i7-8700K @ 5.2GHz/1.288v || MoBo: Asus ROG STRIX Z390-E Gaming || RAM: 4x4GB G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 2666 14-14-14-33 || Cooler: Custom Loop || GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black, on water || PSU: EVGA G2 850W || Case: Corsair 450D || SSD: 850 Evo 250GB, Intel 660p 2TB || Storage: WD Blue 2TB || G502 & Glorious PCGR Fully Custom 80% Keyboard || MX34VQ, PG278Q, PB278Q

Audio --- Headphones: Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 6XX || Amp: Schiit Audio Magni 3 || DAC: Schiit Audio Modi 3 || Mic: Blue Yeti

[Under Construction]

My Truck --- 2002 F-350 7.3 Powerstroke || 6-speed

My Car --- 2006 Mustang GT || 5-speed || BBK LTs, O/R X, MBRP Cat-back || BBK Lowering Springs, LCAs || 2007 GT500 wheels w/ 245s/285s

The Experiment --- CPU: i5-3570K @ 4.0 GHz || MoBo: Asus P8Z77-V LK || RAM: 16GB Corsair 1600 4x4 || Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo || GPUs: Asus GTX 750 Ti, || PSU: Corsair TX750M Gold || Case: Thermaltake Core G21 TG || SSD: 840 Pro 128GB || HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB

R.I.P. Asus X99-A motherboard, April 2016 - October 2018, may you rest in peace. 5820K, if I ever buy you a new board, it'll be a good one.

If you unplug the cable from the GPU to the monitor, then yes. If you simply turn it off, no. This is because the GPU will still send a signal nonetheless. 

PC Specs: 

CPU: Intel i7 5820K  GPU: NVIDIA RTX 3070 (FE)  Motherboard: ASRock x99 Extreme4  PSU: Bequiet! Powerzone 650W  RAM:  32Gb DDR4 Crucial Ballistix Sport LT (white) 2400mhz  CPU Cooler: Bequiet! Dark Rock Pro 3  Storage: 1x Samsung 850 EVO 500gb SSD, 1x WD Blue 2tb HDD 5400rpm, 1x Toshiba 500gb HDD  Case: NZXT H440 (matte black w/ case fans)  Case Fan (Top Mounted): Notcua AF-14 144mm  LED Lights: TOP LED 2x30 Strips

Peripherals:

Speakers: M-AUDIO AV-42 (pair)  Headphones: AudioTechnica ATH-M20X,  Keyboard: AULA 859  Mouse: Tecknet  Microphone: RODE NT1-A  Audio Interface: ZOOM R8  

Camera Specs:

Cameras: BlackMagic Pocket Cinema Camera, Canon 4000, Olympus OM-1, Zorki 4  Lenses: Olympus OM-1 Zuiko Macro, Regular and Telephoto, EFS 18mm-55mm, MFT 12mm, 25mm and 35mm, 50mm Jupiter 8, 50mm EFS

Software:

Editing: BlackMagic Davinci Resolve, Adobe Premiere Pro, Adobe After Effects, Sony Vegas Pro, Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Lightroom, Cubase LE AI Elements 6, Adobe Elements

Phone: Pixel 4

42 minutes ago, Kickflapper said:

If I turn my extra monitor off manually will it improve my GPU performance, or do I need to disable it?

Just truning it off will be fine. Only if you have it on your desktop,

i like trains 🙂

Depends on your monitor. Some will not return a signal to verify a connection, thus the GPU will assume it isn't there and not output a video signal.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

4 hours ago, XDroidie626 said:

Speaking from the other end of the specturm based upon your post

Using an R9 290 4GB dual screen doesn't even phase the GPU as just the desktop requires so little really for todays hardware.

I do agree though on older hardware it could be an issue depending on screen reso.

Maybe something AMD is better at... I'm using a gtx 970 and just a single YouTube video on the 2nd panel drops Overwatch & Rocket League (max settings @ 1080p) from 144Fps (144hz panel) to mid 70fps.

Closing the window & only showing desktop boosts me to mid 90fps. Disabling the 2nd panel and I'm back to max 144fps.

5 hours ago, Cereal5 said:

Turning the power off to the display will not change anything, the GPU will send out information for the monitor anyways. If you unplug the monitor from the wall or from your GPU then obviously not though. As long as it's not like a GeForce GT 210 it really won't have a tangible impact

It will have an impact, I have had two 900p displays and a 1080p display with both a 390, and a 970 I was seeing a significant drop with the two 900p monitors connected, this is with the two 900p displays just idling.

•E5-2670 @2.7GHz • Intel DX79SI • EVGA 970 SSC• GSkill Sniper 8Gb ddr3 • Corsair Spec 02 • Corsair RM750 • HyperX 120Gb SSD • Hitachi 2Tb HDD •

Gotta disable it. Turning it off won't stop the signal unless you hear the sound that says a device was disconnected, assume it still is. 

I I had to start turning mine off. Taking to much resources.  

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz