Tower appears to only have one HDMI port. How do I connect a second screen?

imjtblanton

I built my own PC several months ago. I just bought a second screen for it. I am trying to hook it up but I do not see where to put the HDMI cable. I only see one on the back of my tower. Where else would I be able to plug it in? Any solutions?

Does your... tower... have more than one video port? Does it have a modern video card?

You may have to buy a converter to get another HDMI out.

-into GPU if you have one

-Using DVI, VGA, or DisplayPort

-----> Official Unofficial Favorite Keyswitch Type Survey <-----

OWNER OF THE FASTEST INTEL iGPU ON LTT UNIGINE SUPERPOSITION [lol]

GAMING RIG "SNOWBLIND"

CPU i5-13600k | COOLING Corsair H150i Elite Capellix 360mm (White) | MOTHERBOARD Gigabyte Z690 Aero G DDR4 | GPU Gigabyte RTX 3070 Vision OC (White) | RAM  16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB (White)SSD Samsung 980 Pro 1TB | PSU ASUS STRIX 850W (White)CASE  Phanteks G360a (White) | HEADPHONES  Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro | KEYBOARD Zoom75 (KTT Strawberry w/ GMK British Racing Green keycaps) | MOUSE  Cooler Master MM711 (White) MONITOR HP X32 1440p 165hz IPS

WORK RIG "OVERPRICED BRICK"

Mac Studio (M2 Ultra / 128GB / 1TB) | HEADPHONES  AirPods Pro 2 | KEYBOARD Logitech MX Mechanical Mini | MOUSE  Logitech MX Master 3S MONITOR 2x Dell 4K 32"

SECONDARY RIG "ALCATRAZ"

CPU i7-4770K OC @ 4.3GHz | COOLING Cryorig M9i (review| MOTHERBOARD ASUS Z87-PROGPU Gigabyte 1650 Super Windforce OC | RAM  16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3 1600 MHzSSD Samsung 860 Evo 512GB | HDD Toshiba 3TB 7200RPMPSU EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750WCASE  NZXT H230 | HEADPHONES  Sony WH-1000XM3  | KEYBOARD Corsair STRAFE - Cherry MX Brown | MOUSE  Logitech G602 MONITOR LG 34UM58-P 34" Ultrawide

HOLA NIGHT THEMERS

GET YOUR ASS ON NIGHT THEME

OTHER TECH I OWN:

MacBook Pro 16" [M1 Pro/32GB/1TB] | 2022 Volkswagen GTI | iPhone 14 Pro | Sony a6000 | Apple Watch Series 8 45mm | 2018 MBP 15" | Lenovo Flex 3 [i7-5500U, HD5500 (fastest on the forum), 8GB RAM, 256GB Samsung 840 Evo] | PS5, Xbox One & Nintendo Switch [Home Theater setup] | DJI Phantom 3 Standard | AirPods 2 | Jaybird Freedom (two pairs) & X2 [long story, PM if you want to know why I have 3 pairs of Jaybirds]

Can't really help without at least Motherboard, CPU and GPU specs. (monitor models would help too)

It's an ASRock X99 Extreme 4 motherboard and GPU is Sapphire Nitro Radeon R9 390. Screen is Acer G257HL bmidx 25". I know my computer can support multiple monitors. Just don't see how by looking at the back.

How do I plug it into the GPU? Would I need to run the HDMI cable from the screen into the tower and connect it to the GPU?

3 minutes ago, imjtblanton said:

It's an ASRock X99 Extreme 4 motherboard and a Sapphire Nitro Radeon R9 390. I know my computer can support multiple monitors. Just don't see how by looking at the back.

How do I plug it into the GPU? Would I need to run the HDMI cable from the screen into the tower and connect it to the GPU?

You connect the monitor to the GPU instead of the computer motherboard. The GPU has outputs on the back of it, including an HDMI port. Connect an HDMI cable from the GPU's HDMI port to the monitor's HDMI port.

7 minutes ago, imjtblanton said:

It's an ASRock X99 Extreme 4 motherboard and GPU is Sapphire Nitro Radeon R9 390. Screen is Acer G257HL bmidx 25". I know my computer can support multiple monitors. Just don't see how by looking at the back.

You should have one HDMI and one DVI connector (as well as 3 DP connectors) on the card. Connect one monitor by HDMI and the other by DVI. 

6 minutes ago, Glenwing said:

You connect the monitor to the GPU instead of the computer motherboard. The GPU has outputs on the back of it, including an HDMI port. Connect an HDMI cable from the GPU's HDMI port to the monitor's HDMI port.

I think the issues is that his existing HDMI port is already in use, so he doesn't have another, only DVI and DP left. (monitor has DVI, though, so should be able to use that)

Connect with DVI or grab a Display Port to HDMI adapter

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

1 minute ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

I think the issues is that his existing HDMI port is already in use, so he doesn't have another, only DVI and DP left. 

Ah I see. In that case...

DisplayPort to HDMI adapter:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ZA067MA/

Actually it appears that my first monitor is already plugged into the HDMI port on the graphics card. It appears the X99 only has one. It looks like my motherboard has zero. Both my cables are HDMI to HDMI. Looks like I will need and HDMI to DP cable.

2 minutes ago, imjtblanton said:

Actually it appears that my first monitor is already plugged into the HDMI port on the graphics card. It appears the X99 only has one. It looks like my motherboard has zero. Both my cables are HDMI to HDMI. Looks like I will need and HDMI to DP cable.

Does the first monitor have another input like DVI or DisplayPort?

Both monitors are identical. They both have an HDMI port. They also have ports labeled DVI-D IN and VGA IN.

Either way I think I need another cable. Should this work fine?

https://www.amazon.com/Rankie-Plated-DisplayPort-Cable-Black/dp/B00Z05JMKO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1476306953&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=hdmi+to+dp&psc=1

Is there really a difference in these cables? Also, the 6-foot cables seem to be the same price as a 6-inch adapter. May as well get a full cable.

1 hour ago, imjtblanton said:

Both monitors are identical. They both have an HDMI port. They also have ports labeled DVI-D IN and VGA IN.

Either way I think I need another cable. Should this work fine?

https://www.amazon.com/Rankie-Plated-DisplayPort-Cable-Black/dp/B00Z05JMKO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1476306953&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=hdmi+to+dp&psc=1

Is there really a difference in these cables? Also, the 6-foot cables seem to be the same price as a 6-inch adapter. May as well get a full cable.

I would say the adapter is more versatile as it allows you to adjust the cable length depending on the situation, if you ever move or reorganize your equipment :)

You can use either an adapter or cable, the choice is yours.

I like cables for desktop use, and adapters if I ever need them on-the-go, but also for longer cable runs, since you can adapt to a more commonly found type of cable, like HDMI, and then just buy a really long HDMI cable instead.

61WmAp+VVmL._SL1500_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-DP2HDMI2-DisplayPort-Adapter-Converter/dp/B0035PS57M/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1476311947&sr=8-5&keywords=hdmi+to+displayport+startech+cable

81RST2pdllL._SL1500_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-DP2HDMM2MB-DisplayPort-Converter-Cable/dp/B00W505M6U/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1476311973&sr=8-5&keywords=hdmi+to+displayport+startech+cable+2m

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | REDACTED - 50GB US + CAN Data for $34/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)